OGXbox.com

XBoX With Aladdin Advance-Kind Modchip

Sceriffo

Hi all,

I'm talking about 1 of the 2 XBOXes I bought used. I am in the process of cleaning them as best as possible. One was sold as modded and is clearly modchipped/TSOPed, as it displays "Xecuter2" on boot just by pressing the power button once.

So I disassembled the other one, sold without any mention about modchip. Because I didn't know it was modchipped I was going to clean dust and remove clock capacitor but when I tore it apart I did see this chip installed on board:

IMG-1933.jpg

IMG-1932.jpg

After a good cleaning and putting it back I tried to power it on by pushing power button for 2-3 seconds and I get a bootscreen with "Xecuter2" mark instead of "Microsoft", but I have the same (stock) dashboard as before.

I did read that before removing the clock capacitor, having a modchip installed, I must use a suitable (kinda new) BIOS in order to avoid "clock loop" problem.

Now that I'm there, what can I do to update this modchip? I have TruHexen2019 dvd iso downloaded from somewhere, if could be useful.

I'm kinda familiar with tweaking things in general, as well as other consoles, but I'm just a noob about Xbox modding, so please be kind and patient :D

Edited by Sceriffo

It takes a long power button press to enable the modchip (> 1 second).

Edit: I read all to see you found that out.

What BIOS/kernel version is it booting?

Go to the MS dashboard's Settings > System Info menu and wait until the end of the scroller before it repeats.  There are two values displayed at the end:

D 1.00.DDDD.01 (DDDD = MS dashboard version) and K: 1.00.KKKK.LL (KKKK = kernel version and LL = LBA48 configuration settings).

Edit: Can't get 😧 to appear as D and colon next to each other. I had to add a space between them. The site is always converting them to an emoji. :( 

Report back with your findings.

21 minutes ago, KaosEngineer said:

It takes a long power button press to enable the modchip (> 1 second).

Edit: I read all to see you found that out.

What BIOS/kernel version is it booting?

Go to the MS dashboard's Settings > System Info menu and wait until the end of the scroller before it repeats.  There are two values displayed at the end:

D 1.00.DDDD.01 (DDDD = MS dashboard version) and K: 1.00.KKKK.LL (KKKK = kernel version and LL = LBA48 configuration settings).

Edit: Can't get 😧 to appear as D and colon next to each other. I had to add a space between them. The site is always converting them to an emoji. :( 

Report back with your findings.

Hi KaosEngineer,

thanks for your kind reply. Booting with long press (Xecuter2 in boot screen) I get this:

K: 1.00.4979.06    //    D : 1.00.5960.01

Booting with normal bootup (Microsoft in boot screen) I have this: 

K: 1.00.5101.01    //  D : 1.00.5960.01

If it could help, I notice is that booting normally (Microsoft) it asks me for clock adjustment, booting with long press (Xecuter2) doesn't.

Thank you very much,

Sceriffo

X2 BIOS 4979.06. 

It is not the latest Team Xecuter X2 256KB BIOS available but it has the clock fix in it; thus, the reason you don't get asked to set the time when booting with the modchip enabled.

4981.[06 or 67] or 4983.[06 or 67] are the last two releases. 

4983 can't have its settings modified with XBtool as you can with 4981.  From what I've read, Team Xecuter encrypted it differently than the previous version.  Guess the author of XBTool never figured out what was different to be able to modify it.

5c4b760a2702c_XBToolv1.0.20andX24979.67BIOS.JPG.2d6db521302f540db9f49e2dd6e6b3d5.JPG

Using XBTool v1.0.20 to edit X2 4979.67 BIOS settings.

XBTool v1.0.23a required to edit X2 4981's settings.

To install a replacement dashboard, you need to boot a modified Xbox Installer disc (e.g., Slayers, Hexen, etc.) and install one.

Or, at least look at the files in the root of the C drive with a File Explorer from one of these installer discs.

HeXEn is built around UnleashX which includes a File Explorer.

Slayers uses Evoxdash which has no built-in file explorer but the installer disc should have one accessible to view the drive's content.

Thank you, very kind and informative.

I try with hexen disc to install a replacement dashboard. Is it safe to also update the BIOS from the Hexen disc?

I find quite difficult to start from modchip, it takes a lot of tries before I manage to succeed. Almost always starts with Microsoft boot logo.

I remember I read that to start always (automatically) from modchip it's needed to solder something to ground (I think the BT point). Am I recalling right? Tomorrow I'm going to remove the clock capacitor, if I can also do this task would be a nice thing.

Thank you again,

Sceriffo

It seems that this Xbox have something wrong with the modchip.. I found that when boots normally, it boots always OK. When it seems to start from modchip I get no video. And now one time, trying to boot from modchip, it kept flashing red/green light.. I think I'll try to resolder the wires on the modchip trying to see if it will work, maybe some solder joint got cold.

Lucky as usual :D

6 hours ago, Sceriffo said:

Hi all,

I'm talking about 1 of the 2 XBOXes I bought used. I am in the process of cleaning them as best as possible. One was sold as modded and is clearly modchipped/TSOPed, as it displays "Xecuter2" on boot just by pressing the power button once.

So I disassembled the other one, sold without any mention about modchip. Because I didn't know it was modchipped I was going to clean dust and remove clock capacitor but when I tore it apart I did see this chip installed on board:

IMG-1933.jpg

IMG-1932.jpg

After a good cleaning and putting it back I tried to power it on by pushing power button for 2-3 seconds and I get a bootscreen with "Xecuter2" mark instead of "Microsoft", but I have the same (stock) dashboard as before.

I did read that before removing the clock capacitor, having a modchip installed, I must use a suitable (kinda new) BIOS in order to avoid "clock loop" problem.

Now that I'm there, what can I do to update this modchip? I have TruHexen2019 dvd iso downloaded from somewhere, if could be useful.

I'm kinda familiar with tweaking things in general, as well as other consoles, but I'm just a noob about Xbox modding, so please be kind and patient :D

Hello Sceriffo

1st please clean that poor Xbox at least remove the dust.

2nd Remove the wire that's on the BT point and add a link like the pic below

That will force the modchip to be active all the time.

IMG-1933.thumb.jpg.59d7c1b3bf939dd43235e6a456af8832.jpg

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It get's the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

19 hours ago, SS_Dave said:

Hello Sceriffo

1st please clean that poor Xbox at least remove the dust.

2nd Remove the wire that's on the BT point and add a link like the pic below

That will force the modchip to be active all the time.

IMG-1933.thumb.jpg.59d7c1b3bf939dd43235e6a456af8832.jpg

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It get's the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

Sorry for late reply, but I was told by the forum that I reached the daily maximum post limit.

The photo was taken just after opening the console, it was cleaned right after that, of course. Totally disassembled and cleaned every piece :D

This morning I removed the clock capacitor and did a resoldering of the pads that sits on the LPC header, and noticed that the GND on the chip was difficult to solder, solder didn't reach well to the underside pad, the solder point had hardly contact. So I stuck a conductor of a CAT5 wire inside the hole on the underneath LPC, brought it up to the modchip, soldered it so that the solder bridged the hole and the modchp pad, and ended it on the BT point. Now every time I boot up the console it starts from modchip every single time, never fails. Success!

I then did a eeprom backup, saved on PC, and then flashed the 4981.67_256k.bin file with XblastOS and it works. On MS dashboard it said it's 4980 but it works. Prior to flashing I verified the hash of my file (b6eb9fb7b79795c962b7f998ee4a8694) and it matches to 4981.67, so I think it's ok. Also I manually put on C :  the UnleashX dashboard as "evoxdash.xbe", now it boots into this at boot time.

Any thing I missed?

Being this xbox bought used, how can I "factory reset" it, to delete everything from the previous owner and start over (delete previous user settings, start with fresh empty HDD, etc)?

Thanks SS_Dave, thanks KaosEngineer. Have a nice evening.

Sceriffo

Edited by Sceriffo

Good to see you have got it working as for a reset the only thing I do is delete the game saves in the UDATA and TDATA folders

You could delete the games from the hard drive but I would leave them.

Cheers

SS Dave

25 minutes ago, Pipo said:

Hello you can actually still buy chips and is it worth it or better tsop

I Refash the TSOP in all the 1.0-1.4 boards and chip the 1.6 boards and I never softmod.

Cheers

SS Dave

• Like 1

On 3/22/2020 at 10:21 PM, SS_Dave said:

Good to see you have got it working as for a reset the only thing I do is delete the game saves in the UDATA and TDATA folders

You could delete the games from the hard drive but I would leave them.

Cheers

SS Dave

Thanks Dave. This XBOX didn't have any game installed on board, just save games. So I deleted everything and started over with fresh C and E, and copied stock dash and UnleashX on C. Thats great. however I'll move on checking the 2nd XBOX I have.

The 2nd one is an older revision, 1.0 or 1.1, it have got already EvolutionX dash and an older X2 bios (4976 if I remember correctly) on a green "L shaped" modchip with written "LPCMOD" on it, sitting on the LPC header and with a single extra wire going to the motherboard. This one is in better shape than the other, I think I'll keep this one as main one, I'll upgrade the HDD with a 500GB sata one later.

In these days I made proresses in knowing the original XBOX world and I like it, I'm starting to understand better the basics and how it works. THanks again for the precious help to you all.

Sceriffo

It's working all good, also the L or T shaped one from the last photo updated to 4981.67 256k without problems. Yesterday I also received a fully working S controller in the mail so I'm quite golden :D

The LPCMOD-equipped one is the Xbox (seems to be a 1.1 revision) I'd like to upgrade a bit and use as main one because it was better kept. Just planning a HDD upgrade, don't know if there's anything more to do that's worth of.

I have some IDE hard drives around here (fully tested with manufacturers utilities and low-level formatted OK) but I don't remember the capacity of them. Need to go and check.

Let's say (example) for a 80 or 160GB drive, which would be your preferred partitioning scheme (with XBPartitioner, I think)?

Thank you bros, hope to enjoy as much as possible this (long awaited) XBOX experience.

Sceriffo