OGXbox.com

Corona Self Distancing

lostartz

Hi Guys

So sitting at home bored out of my mind.  Its been a while since I turned on my original xbox and much has changed since then.  The last bios I flash was an M7.

Have just installed a 2TB drive, and feeling it again the need to modify.  Cleaned out the dvd drive so the tray opened again.

Thinking I might do a paint job on the case.

Hows the rest of the world going with coronavirus?  They closed all schools today early for the easter break.  

Actually they closed all bars and restaurants as well.  I havent been watching the news but have had a few sms's today.  

I was told they will close petrol stations as well?  Hope they dont close Australia post lol.

4 hours ago, lostartz said:

Hows the rest of the world going with coronavirus?  They closed all schools today early for the easter break.  

Actually they closed all bars and restaurants as well.  I havent been watching the news but have had a few sms's today.  

I was told they will close petrol stations as well?  Hope they dont close Australia post lol.

Hello lostartz

I  know the internet is already getting a work out with people working from home in the last week and even my internet speed was down by 10mbs in both down and uploads during the day.

and that was before the the shops and pubs,coffee shops,restaurants have closed now that the schools are closing I can see it getting slower at least the number of people complaining of no internet is low at the moment in Canberra.  This will test the useless NBN.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It get's the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

Man SS your up early or late even lolz.

I ended up doing an all niter, reading about modz such as the wii2hdmi cable mod, and the remote on/off mod. 

You know iv been on fixed wireless for more than a year now and I can tell you it sux.   Well at least its better than adsl2, but not by much.

People say NBN is already obsolete due to the fact that 5G can give you faster speeds.  

im hunting a clean box to work with as well.  

14 hours ago, lostartz said:

Man SS your up early or late even lolz.

I ended up doing an all niter, reading about modz such as the wii2hdmi cable mod, and the remote on/off mod. 

You know iv been on fixed wireless for more than a year now and I can tell you it sux.   Well at least its better than adsl2, but not by much.

People say NBN is already obsolete due to the fact that 5G can give you faster speeds.  

im hunting a clean box to work with as well.  

My sleep pattern is all over the shot and the last 3 ram upgrades I have done have been around midnight and as I no longer have a full time job due to my choice I don't need to be up at a set time

I have NBN FTTN here on a 50mbs plan and 95% of the time I get 48mbs and have 1 drop out in the last 2 years so I should no complain to much, 5G will give the telcos a shove but until you can get a unlimited data plan(my max download in one month was 1.95tb) at a reasonable cost  the NBN resellers don't give a crap.

The wii2hdmi is a pretty good mod and 1 of my box's as a internal wii2hdmi and the others have a hdmi from N64 freak the main difference is the wii2hdmi samples the left/right analog audio and injects to the hdmi where's the N64 freak version samples the digital audio with the wii2hdmi you could always add a coax connector on the rear of the box for digital audio out.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It get's the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

Wow you really won big on the NBN lottery SS :).  Yer 5G will turn unlimited in time im sure as all things go.

I did well staying up until like 8am, then I totally crashed until about 12.

I ended up buying another box to play with, they told me it was working 100%, when I got it home I found problems.  

As soon as you plug in the power cable the xbox turns on.  And then the eject and power buttons dont work at all.

I pulled everything off the board except the fan and plugged in the power and still the same.  

Nemesis has been guiding me a little thanks man much appreciated.

https://www.google.com/search?biw=1588&bih=873&sxsrf=ALeKk037tWytAcVBNDXMpwfJc9zzjJn-dA%3A1585023844999&ei=ZIt5XqbNPLWEmgeZzLHwAQ&q=original+xbox+trace+repair&oq=original+xbox+trace+repair&gs_l=psy-ab.3..0.11971193.11979029..11979957...1.1..0.267.4907.0j25j2......0....1..gws-wiz.......0i71j35i39j0i131i273j0i273j0i22i30.XPcxqvstOeY&ved=0ahUKEwimj_f5obLoAhU1guYKHRlmDB4Q4dUDCAs&uact=5#kpvalbx=_Mrp5XsiKDdO89QO76JWwDQ27

I just need to figure this out.  Also I dont solder very well now as shaky hands.  I did see some post about soldering to points on top of the board instead.  I would prefer this I think, but no clear pictures to guide me.  Anyhow ill keep googling. 

I just saw the N64 freak's for sale post, looks like his in england?  I have a pound to play with for the time being anyhow.

right now i have enough things to play with and keep me busy. 

one of the problems I think.jpg

4 hours ago, lostartz said:

Wow you really won big on the NBN lottery SS :).  Yer 5G will turn unlimited in time im sure as all things go.

I ended up buying another box to play with, they told me it was working 100%, when I got it home I found problems.  

As soon as you plug in the power cable the xbox turns on.  And then the eject and power buttons dont work at all.

I pulled everything off the board except the fan and plugged in the power and still the same.  

https://www.google.com/search?biw=1588&bih=873&sxsrf=ALeKk037tWytAcVBNDXMpwfJc9zzjJn-dA%3A1585023844999&ei=ZIt5XqbNPLWEmgeZzLHwAQ&q=original+xbox+trace+repair&oq=original+xbox+trace+repair&gs_l=psy-ab.3..0.11971193.11979029..11979957...1.1..0.267.4907.0j25j2......0....1..gws-wiz.......0i71j35i39j0i131i273j0i273j0i22i30.XPcxqvstOeY&ved=0ahUKEwimj_f5obLoAhU1guYKHRlmDB4Q4dUDCAs&uact=5#kpvalbx=_Mrp5XsiKDdO89QO76JWwDQ27

I just need to figure this out.  Also I dont solder very well now as shaky hands.  I did see some post about soldering to points on top of the board instead.  I would prefer this I think, but no clear pictures to guide me.  Anyhow ill keep googling. 

I just saw the N64 freak's for sale post, looks like his in england?  I have a pound to play with for the time being anyhow.

I'm guessing that system still has its clock capacitor installed? If that's the case, and if it's a 1.0-1.5, you need to remove it. I see damaged traces in that photo you uploaded. If you repair the damaged traces, the console buttons should work again, but it also seems like there some corrosion at various points on that underside there. You'd want to gently clean that off. I'd say use a soft toothbrush and some isopropyl alcohol to gently clean it up.

As for the damaged traces, there are 2 methods to repair it. You can solder a short length of wire across where the breaks in the traces are, or you can solder a wire from the end of the trace where there's a via that goes through the board, and solder the other end of that wire to another via somewhere after the break in the trace. A multimeter is best to help with that too.

5 hours ago, lostartz said:

I have a version 1.4 that cost $5 with the same damage that's now rocking 128 meg ram N64 freak HDMI internal DVD dongle then topped off with a OGX360 interface.

If you not confident in soldering the best thing would be to acquire an old computer and practice soldering on that 1st or start with an old car radio as the tracks are bigger and spaced further apart. Then if you still don't think you can repair it send it to someone that can. There is a saying that "Horses for Courses" people do different jobs because they are good at it.

If you get stuck send me the board only and I will see what I can do for you.

N64 freak is in Germany.

Cheers

SS Dave

I took today to organize out my growing game collection and confirmed my debug kit functioned properly after removing the clock capacitor. It looked good, zero signs on leaking. Now I'm going to install ViridiX on my laptop and image the HDD over, then upload it to the internet

A debug kit is used to test and find bugs on xbox games during their development. Not only does it benefit from twice the RAM of a retail xbox, it also has things like an unlocked HDD, the ability to run unsigned code, and the ability to run any region discs. The debug kit I bought still has a prototype build of a game on it so that's why I intend to release it on the internet

What type of game is it mate?

I play anything but FPS.  I used to play some CS but for some reason I get bad motion sickness now when I play for even 30mins. 

I need to buy a new dremel man, to make some cuts. Gonna start painting a case tomorrow.

do you know if theres a port fof minecraft for the OGX?  If there isint someone should start working on it!

Social distancing has definitely pushed me to upgrade my xbox. What was originally a pretty tame 80gb IDE drive Aladdin chip xbox is going to be upgraded with an OpenXnenium chip w/ lcd, and a 1tb SATA drive. Maybe an internal dvd dongle and some leds if the things go smoothly. Today I did a deep clean and soaked the case and shielding.

IMG_1835.jpg