OGXbox.com

XBox With 2.5 Inch Ide Hard Drive

HDShadow

I have an unused 80GB 2.5" IDE HDD bought for an old laptop which died before I got around to fitting it.

The problem or maybe not a problem is the 2.5" IDE to 3.5" IDE adapter. I've found what I think are suitable ones on Ebay/Amazon (F 2.5" with M 3.5" to connect to the IDE cable). But the thing I'm not sure about is the power supply.

The ones I've found have a (F) Molex connector + cable but only wired with red and black cables. This I assume is 5v and ground ie. normal Molex power connections.

Is this enough to power the 2.5" HDD? It should be but it got me thinking about why the Xbox HDD power supply has both 5v and 12v connections (red + ground and  yellow + ground) if they're not both needed. If a standard 3.5" HDD in the Xbox needs more than 12v available perhaps a 2.5" HDD needs more than 5v too.

Knowledgeable advice appreciated.         

Edited by HDShadow

I have plenty of Xboxes with 3.5" IDE or SATA HDDs and I have no other sensible use for a pretty much virgin 80GB IDE 2.5" so what's the problem?

It'll generate less heat and should work just as well as a 3.5" and I'll bet will boot faster than any SATA HDD. Its a bit small but for the purpose intended, my CD music collection and a handfull of my go to Xbox games, like Timesplitters FP, it'll be fine.

5 hours ago, HDShadow said:

I have plenty of Xboxes with 3.5" IDE or SATA HDDs and I have no other sensible use for a pretty much virgin 80GB IDE 2.5" so what's the problem?

It'll generate less heat and should work just as well as a 3.5" and I'll bet will boot faster than any SATA HDD. Its a bit small but for the purpose intended, my CD music collection and a handfull of my go to Xbox games, like Timesplitters FP, it'll be fine.

too much hoops for a 80gb drive. but if you really want, why not. :)

• Like 1