OGXbox.com

Xbox Gpu Repaste Is Pointless

prtscn

On 4/20/2020 at 5:34 PM, OGXbox Admin said:

I do want to point out though, that literally everyone talks about removing the clock cap as good advice. If you disagree I'd like to see your explanation for this. 

That COMPLETELY nullifies any argument against changing thermal paste. It's not difficult and not as risky as removing a capacitor. 

WTF you mean all these years I have removed the capacitors, and I should have left them in place to rot the boards……………Dang, coulda been doing something more productive.

• 9 months later...

Very late to this discussion but I've been modding/repairing consoles for several years.

In my experience, it's good practice to replace the thermal paste whenever the heat sinks have been upset or moved for whatever reason.

As with the X360, you need to remove the X-clamps in order to get to some solder points and you really need to replace the paste as the heatsink has been disturbed.

In short, if you've disturbed the heatsink, change the paste.

• Like 2

Weird synchronicity, someone registering just to bump this contentious thread after I was remembering it the last couple days. My experience with thermal pastes is limited to arctic silver 5 but out of the dozen separate things where I've re-pasted a processor, including an xbox, the resulting temps are always much higher than they were with the factory paste no matter how well I apply the silver. Worst example, my laptop's average temps are 15c higher than they were before, and after two years.... So much for thermal cycles curing the paste.

Either factory pastes really are superior or AS5 isn't what the shills said it is. *shrug*  Anyway I'm not repasting my xbox gpu.

I prefer AS MX4 - proven exceptional longevity (8years before you need to consider replacing it) and no curing required (unlike AS5). Essentially: use it and forget.

I have two MX4 pasted  PCs, used regularly, one about 6 years old the other over 3 years and particularly during the summer I have temperature reporting software running all the time. The reported temperatures of the older one are no different from what they were at the start.

However, as I probably said earlier in this thread, I've replaced one Xbox's CPU's thermal paste with MX4. The temperatures reported by UnleashX and XBMC showed no difference from the factory paste temperatures.

That thermal paste must have been at least 14 years old and that's why I too question whether redoing the thermal paste is actually necessary.

There's also the chance that in getting the heat sink off and/or cleaning up the old paste you're going to damage the chip. That's another reason for leaving it alone, particularly if the reported temperatures are not indicating an overheating problem.

Found my original post here from 2020 and didn't really need to add to it :-

https://www.ogxbox.com/forums/index.php?/topic/2753-xbox-gpu-repaste-is-pointless/&do=findComment&comment=18482

Edited by HDShadow

12 hours ago, fox said:

Weird synchronicity, someone registering just to bump this contentious thread after I was remembering it the last couple days. My experience with thermal pastes is limited to arctic silver 5 but out of the dozen separate things where I've re-pasted a processor, including an xbox, the resulting temps are always much higher than they were with the factory paste no matter how well I apply the silver. Worst example, my laptop's average temps are 15c higher than they were before, and after two years.... So much for thermal cycles curing the paste.

Either factory pastes really are superior or AS5 isn't what the shills said it is. *shrug*  Anyway I'm not repasting my xbox gpu.

Just registered because I'm in a retro mood and decided to awaken my OgBox after years of not so fun gaming. 

On 9/1/2022 at 4:55 PM, Plato said:

Very late to this discussion but I've been modding/repairing consoles for several years.

In my experience, it's good practice to replace the thermal paste whenever the heat sinks have been upset or moved for whatever reason.

As with the X360, you need to remove the X-clamps in order to get to some solder points and you really need to replace the paste as the heatsink has been disturbed.

In short, if you've disturbed the heatsink, change the paste.

Too many tutorials copying each other.

Many modders think it's a regular thermal paste, which is not.

Second, what thermal paste glues heatsink tight?

Third, no one know what this stuff really is.

Fourth, the only thing i noticed is that it softens into goo when it's heated up, even slightly. That means service life is LOOONG.

I noticed CPU is also using some sort of rubbery stuff. I think i need to observe what it does when heated up.

On 9/2/2022 at 8:52 AM, fox said:

Improper application or fake thermal paste. OR both. :) Spread method is the best, saves up paste and guarantees full coverage.