OGXbox.com

Xbox Gpu Repaste Is Pointless

prtscn

On 4/7/2020 at 8:43 PM, prtscn said:

You clearly hate me, because I'm being honest. And cleaning thermal compound from xbox is not an easy task. And i bet, you never done this. You talk like a scammer from oil change company. :D

Hate you? Nope. You are someone I know nothing about. I don't hate you, just don't understand why you are so passionate about people not doing something that costs near nothing and provides peace of mind. Also if you find cleaning thermal paste off an xbox to be difficult it makes me wonder how you accomplish anything in life like tying your shoes or taking a shower. The paste Microsoft used takes effort to remove but it is far from the impossible problem you make it out to be. As far as me being a scammer I have no skin in the game either than wanting to educate others based on my experience. If you don't want to or are too lazy to change your hear 20 year old thermal paste with something you know is sound, be my guest.

What a strange thread.

prtscan, when you start a conversation that is in opposition to a widely agreed upon idea (i.e. the idea replacing thermal paste in Xboxes = good), it's a fantastic idea to explain your stance ahead of time before any sort of back-and-forth springs up. When you make a claim and wait for people to disagree with before explaining your position, it comes off looking like you're trolling or baiting people into disagreeing with you just for sake of arguing later.

You very well may be right, but the way you're going about it is ass backwards.

My stance- a tube of MX4 is cheap and replacing the 20 year old paste takes all of 15 mins. Acetone works great for eating through old thermal paste.

People think it's a regular thermal paste, but it's not.

It's not meant to be replaced. It will last your lifetime.

Similar compound is used on xbox 360 PHAT, i posted pictures of temperatures with stock paste.

And new thermal paste WILL dry out, and you will be required to do it regularly.

Practically gain zero benefits by doing this.

Edited by prtscn

I have not seen any real drop in CPU temperatures with new thermal paste, I have tried Arctic Silver 5,Prolimatech PK2,A copper based HY610,Liquid Metal Pads with no noticeable difference in CPU temps,and with the GPU the heatsink the temperature dropped 2c with the new paste so to me that means the heat is not been transferred as well as with the stock heatsink glue.

The biggest drop in CPU temp I had was from a longer heatsink that has more fins and that gave a 5c drop and cleaning the fan also helps to keep it cool.

If you feel better changing the heat sink paste go ahead and according to the Facesook Experts changing the thermal paste fixes Stuttering on booting,Not booting, Freezing during the game, Random rebooting, like this one in the pic I can clearly see the main power caps have reached the end of there life but one of the suggested  fixes for random booting problems was  change the thermal paste.

93968607_2959981547392834_2420605321341829120_n.jpg.2531b4a617d6f4f498306b5d7c1a14c1.jpg

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

The question should always be: does replacing the thermal paste actually work in reducing the Xbox's reported GPU and CPU temperatures?

The evidence is that it makes little or no difference. That is my experience too despite having been meticulous in the thermal paste's application.  

The posters here contradicting the oft repeated advice to carry out the thermal paste replacement are simply being honest. They've done it, seen no reduction in the temperatures and reported that here. 

It seems to me doing an unnecessary thermal pate replacement for 'peace of mind' is not good advice. The risk of physically damaging the chips is real. So IMHO that advice needs to be changed.

I do want to point out though, that literally everyone talks about removing the clock cap as good advice. If you disagree I'd like to see your explanation for this. 

That COMPLETELY nullifies any argument against changing thermal paste. It's not difficult and not as risky as removing a capacitor. 

Have you ever had a completely glued on heatsink?

Until I learned that it was better to try to remove it when 'hot' I tried it cold on first time as a test on my spare parts Xbox. The result was what looks to be surface damage to the GPU. You also have the possibility of snapping the plastic heat sink retainers too. If you break them what are going to do without spares? Remember plastic ages and becomes more brittle, particularly with the close proximity to a heat source. 

2 hours ago, OGXbox Admin said:

I do want to point out though, that literally everyone talks about removing the clock cap as good advice. If you disagree I'd like to see your explanation for this. 

That COMPLETELY nullifies any argument against changing thermal paste. It's not difficult and not as risky as removing a capacitor. 

Two different things.

Xbox clock capacitor is well documented, and people proactively removes it.

xbox "repaste" is based on a general practice of computer maintenance, thinking that OG xbox uses regular thermal paste. Which is not.

2 hours ago, prtscn said:

Two different things.

Xbox clock capacitor is well documented, and people proactively removes it.

xbox "repaste" is based on a general practice of computer maintenance, thinking that OG xbox uses regular thermal paste. Which is not.

Not a bright comment on your part. Every analogy will have a difference. That's why it's an analogy rather than the exact same thing. Maybe look up what an analogy is. 

The argument is that repasting is somehow dangerous and shouldn't be done because the negatives outweigh the positives. They actually do not because repasting is not difficult. It's not risky. 
Replacing the clock cap is literally removing a component from the board. It's risky and not easy for most. So... it disproves the entire argument you're on. 

8 hours ago, HDShadow said:

The risk of physically damaging the chips is real. So IMHO that advice needs to be changed.

Let's pry the heatsink off 

oops I think I may have damaged it.

1913694398_GPUheatsink.thumb.jpg.db040ea90052fe16d5ab3db7d0e5a1cb.jpg

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It get's the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

To my knowledge, noone has properly compared stock paste to a replacement. They think looking at the idle temperature is drawing a conclusion.

The temp must be checked while a demanding game is running. Since OG xbox is single thread, the xbox won't tell you the temp. You could have an accessory read the serial data the sensor sends.

Until then, noone has accurately concluded paste effectiveness

• Like 2

8 hours ago, OGXbox Admin said:

Not a bright comment on your part. Every analogy will have a difference. That's why it's an analogy rather than the exact same thing. Maybe look up what an analogy is. 

The argument is that repasting is somehow dangerous and shouldn't be done because the negatives outweigh the positives. They actually do not because repasting is not difficult. It's not risky. 
Replacing the clock cap is literally removing a component from the board. It's risky and not easy for most. So... it disproves the entire argument you're on. 

What argument? My argument is that replacing thermal compound yields no practical benefits.

Capacitor removal is not beneficial, but essential, because it will leak and will cause huge damage to the board.

8 hours ago, SS_Dave said:

Let's pry the heatsink off 

oops I think I may have damaged it.

1913694398_GPUheatsink.thumb.jpg.db040ea90052fe16d5ab3db7d0e5a1cb.jpg

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It get's the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

Heat up heatsink and observe how thermal cement changes from hard to soft goo.

5 hours ago, prtscn said:

What argument? My argument is that replacing thermal compound yields no practical benefits.

Capacitor removal is not beneficial, but essential, because it will leak and will cause huge damage to the board.

Where is your testing and data to support that it yields no practical benefits? or are you just talking out of your ass?

1 hour ago, OGXbox Admin said:

Where is your testing and data to support that it yields no practical benefits? or are you just talking out of your ass?

CPU (repasted TIM) - 46C

GPU (stock TIM) - 42C

Does LCD mod shows temp. while in game?

Using XBMC, UnleashX readings are unreliable.

Edited by prtscn

35 minutes ago, prtscn said:

CPU (repasted TIM) - 46C

GPU (stock TIM) - 42C

Does LCD mod shows temp. while in game?

Using XBMC, UnleashX readings are unreliable.

You claim the temps of 2 different components. You're not attempting to compare them to each other are you? That wouldn't make any sense. 

14 minutes ago, OGXbox Admin said:

You claim the temps of 2 different components. You're not attempting to compare them to each other are you? That wouldn't make any sense. 

Can you post your temperatures with XBMC. You can ignore CPU. Posted it so people who have stock CPU TIM could compare to mine CPU temp.

Also, I posted temperatures of Xbox 360, phat falcon v2, with stock paste. There is an image in this thread. Very similar TIM material.

1 hour ago, prtscn said:

Can you post your temperatures with XBMC. You can ignore CPU. Posted it so people who have stock CPU TIM could compare to mine CPU temp.

Also, I posted temperatures of Xbox 360, phat falcon v2, with stock paste. There is an image in this thread. Very similar TIM material.

Also, there is no temp sensor in the gpu. That is the MCPX temp. 

1 minute ago, prtscn said:

bummer, at least people could do comparisons of cpu.

well, at least xbox 360 is correct.

I think now is a good time to restate all premises because the conclusions will undoubtedly be drawn with video evidence soon. 

#1 Replacing the stock paste with better paste will yield no significant results IF the stock paste hasn't already failed. It's very brittle and can crack and fail fairly easily. Thus the reasoning behind changing it out. 

#2 The differences between thermal pastes are minute. The thermal conductivity of these pastes can be known by their w/Mk rating that should be listed somewhere for a given TIM. Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut has the highest w/Mk of all TIMs known to me. It is what I will be testing with and I do expect a very slight improvement. 

#3 Liquid metal would result in a huge improvement in theory but cannot be used because the heatsinks are aluminum and gallium creates an alloy with aluminum that destroys its rigidity and thus renders the heatsink useless. 

MX-4 should be better than stock. The layer thickness is critical to efficiency. I believe the stock paste is thicker than we would apply, which would make it awful. there should ideally be areas of direct contact between the die and heatsink, with the paste only filling gaps

Can you get any temps under load? Some LCDs will tell you in game, if they read sensors directly. There's a reason computer overclockers run stress tests to compare temps. The temperature difference between pastes gets much bigger the hotter they're tested at, since the paste influence is relatively linear (W/mK)

Pastes are never seriously compared at idle. A small improvement at idle indicates a huge improvement at full temp

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I haven’t read all of the post but there was one saying Xbox 360 overheating is a myth? That’s not entirely true. The red ring of death in most Xbox 360s is just the cpu getting too hot. The newer models after the elite I believe Microsoft had made the issue a little better so that red ring wouldn’t come on as easily. I had one of the first gen Xbox 360 and the elite Xbox 360; both of which had that red ring.  They had put the heat sink directly on the cpu which was getting really hot and making the cpu hot. I had to take apart and put some nuts between the heat sink and cpu to raise it up some so the heat wouldn’t be sitting directly on cpu. Also cleaned off the thermal paste and replaced with a thermal pad. This fixed both Xbox 360. The way they had their cpu set up it wasn’t getting enough air for the heat sink to be sitting directly on the cpu. Maybe if there was a good fan right above it then that would’ve been a different story. As far as OG Xbox having a cement like paste I have no idea about that. I’ve only taken one apart far enough to clean the laser eye. So for anybody out there with red ring Xbox 360s try doing what I said with the cpu and 95% of the time that’s what caused it.

Edited by Savanna benzel