OGXbox.com

Xbox Gpu Repaste Is Pointless

prtscn

Anything that heats and becomes softer then cools and becomes harder will lose its softness over time. Properties change. 
Also, the material will have a particular thermal transfer property that won't be very high. It might be slightly better than air but not by a whole lot. 
Compare that with Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut with over 12w/mk and you'll understand why it's not "pointless" to change out the thermal paste after nearly 20 years. The cooler you can make a cpu and gpu run, the longer lifespan they will have. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/13/2020 at 4:53 PM, prtscn said:

benefit is marginal at best. same thing for x360, they use some sort of cement as well. ps4, xone uses regular paste - worth replacing. x360 overheating is a myth.

So, "they use some sort of cement". In other words you don't know what it is yet come and make statements as if they are fact.

On 3/29/2020 at 7:46 PM, VCoupe376ci said:

So, "they use some sort of cement". In other words you don't know what it is yet come and make statements as if they are fact.

this video supports that repaste is pointless, and i'm, talking from my personal experience too. xbox 360 is also the same case, i have 2008 falcon v2 with stock paste. ps3, ps4, xbox one, xbox 360 slim uses regular paste, in these cases it matters to replace.

All experiments and evidences backs up my statement. xbox 360 with 2008 mfd goes strong and cool with stock cooling compound. I can show pictures if you don't believe.

Without thermal dissipation figures for the original paste, it's best to use known good paste. This is good practice, as long as the heatsink mounting clamps haven't deteriorated too much through age. Their pressure is important.

The video didn't support it being pointless, instead noted a slower fan speed and reduced CPU temp. The GPU temp increase was probably from poor application. We didn't get to see how he applied the paste, the video was cut at that point. It might not have had any paste. A few degrees matters, and the reduced fan speed confirms this.

10 hours ago, van0014 said:

Without thermal dissipation figures for the original paste, it's best to use known good paste. This is good practice, as long as the heatsink mounting clamps haven't deteriorated too much through age. Their pressure is important.

The video didn't support it being pointless, instead noted a slower fan speed and reduced CPU temp. The GPU temp increase was probably from poor application. We didn't get to see how he applied the paste, the video was cut at that point. It might not have had any paste. A few degrees matters, and the reduced fan speed confirms this.

CPU/GPU temp  decrease are so marginal, that is pointless, fan speed is not confirmed nor denied since no measurements were taken. There is also thing called placebo effect.

Stock thermal performance is more than adequate and still works. For 1-2 degree gain, it's like comparing super expensive and average priced thermal paste.

For my ears fan speed did not changed, humming sound of the fan was identical,. Talking about my real life experience.

Remember, placebo effect is real.

29 minutes ago, van0014 said:

It's not a placebo effect, but of course for you, the cement is adequate. You have a biased viewpoint

do you shill for thermal paste companies? Everyone is changing xbox thermal paste left and right, because no one explained this properly without before and after comparison, and everyone is thinking that replacing thermal paste on some machines is worthwhile.

It's like talking to audiphile, Oh these power cables does make sound better.

1580103221675.jpg

• Like 3

lol that guy would love my dollar store speaker wire. "I can hear the difference" 

I have changed the paste in a couple of my xboxes and I have personally noticed no difference. But that being said, I have if I have a reason to open my boxes up again, I will probably change them to be sure. Its not a hard process and a little piece of mind from some new arctic silver. 

I have tested CPU temps on unopened Xbox's of all versions and not seen any real difference after changing the paste.

If anything maybe 1 or 2 degrees cooler and I have tried Arctic Silver 5, Prolimatech PK2,a copper based paste, as well as liquid metal pads.

And we are talking about a 733 Mhz CPU not a 3 or 4 Ghz in a similar size package, The biggest drop I got was a new heatsink and that was about 5 deg celsius. it was 4 for silver and 5 for the black paint.

IMG_20191218_113405-Copy(1).thumb.jpg.ff5c09d05ae6de496c0caf4504abd8b0.jpg IMG_20191218_113813-Copy(1).thumb.jpg.b65ecbd5016e393d2eaf5f569b5b6aed.jpg

Put if you feel better after changing the thermal paste go for it.

As for the speaker cable I did blind test with speakers that sold for $10k and a $5 k  2 channel amp and using cheap cable that most people use it sounded excellent to my wooden ears but when the cable was changed to $2k worth for 10 mtrs holly molly the music came alive.

Rant Off.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It get's the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, van0014 said:

CPU temps at idle doesn't draw any conclusions. Small temp changes at idle indicate the potential for larger differences under load.The thermal dissipation efficiency can only be seen under load

Duh.

I measure temperatures while it's turned off.

I'm glad some people are being honest about this because when I redid the thermal paste with the same Arctic Silver 4 I used on my two PC builds (very successfully) I found zero effect on reported temperatures (XBMC the only temperatures I trust) idling on the dash, after heavy use or in general.

The biggest differences I've found are with Xbox versions: v1.6 always report notably higher temperatures than v1.0 - 1.4. The v1.0 - v1.4 also display greater differences between the reported MB, CPU and GPU temperatures too.

I first did a test removal of the GPU heatsink on my spare, broken v1.6 MB too. Glad I did because it was stuck so solidly when I eventually managed to detach it the process had damaged the surface of the GPU. I was very reluctant to try it on a working Xbox but I did it and it was easier, probably because I'd taken the advice to use the Xbox first to warm it up. 

But the point is if the replacement of the thermal paste is mostly ineffective, as it appears to be, you're actually risking bricking your Xbox for nothing.     

47 minutes ago, Capt Moore said:

Thanks for the perspective.  From what I read before, it sounded like it pretty much was required to be done every so often.  It's good to hear that it can be left alone (as long as there are no problems when using.)

Yap, someone has to burst this bubble. But for other systems is must: ps3, Ps4, xbox one, xbox 360 slim version. Everything else that uses regular paste.

I'm quite suspicious about xbox 360 phat too, because they have similar hard compound, not thermal paste like everyone believes. So, i did little experiment, i left stock compound after cleaning dust and doing RGH mod. For my surprise temps. were excellent with stock compound. RGH allows to see temp while in game. I will post ingame temps. when i can.

Thanks.  I really have never done anything with thermal paste before, very limited soldering as well, but it might be good skills to learn at some point if I want to keep some of the classic (and current) systems working.  (Apple IIGS, original xbox, xbox 360, xbox one x.)  Depending on how long this coronavirus lockdown is for, I may pick up some other project systems as well to learn and fix.

24 minutes ago, Capt Moore said:

Thanks.  I really have never done anything with thermal paste before, very limited soldering as well, but it might be good skills to learn at some point if I want to keep some of the classic (and current) systems working.  (Apple IIGS, original xbox, xbox 360, xbox one x.)  Depending on how long this coronavirus lockdown is for, I may pick up some other project systems as well to learn and fix.

Just keep in mind when your trying to remove the heatsinks I found it best to warm them up 1st especially the GPU  heatsink in a OG Xbox.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It get's the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

On 3/31/2020 at 10:19 AM, prtscn said:

do you shill for thermal paste companies? Everyone is changing xbox thermal paste left and right, because no one explained this properly without before and after comparison, and everyone is thinking that replacing thermal paste on some machines is worthwhile.

It's like talking to audiphile, Oh these power cables does make sound better.

1580103221675.jpg

You know you are bellowing on and on from your soapbox about a replacement procedure that is easy and costs $10 right? Did you work for a company that makes thermal paste and get fired? You are very passionate about steering people away from something that requires a negligible amount of effort and also has a negligible cost.Care to enlighten us why something so minuscule is such a life or death deal to you?