OGXbox.com

Strange Conroller Port Issue After Open XEnium Install

Icarium

Greetings!

I am very new to the OG XBOX (both the console and the forums).

I have a 1.4v xbox that I have dusted off recently to install Open Xenium chip. The console was a bit dirty, so I gave it a good cleaning, removed the clock capacitor (which had just started to leak), replaced the fan with a Nexus, and installed the new open Xenium chip. 

The system seems to be running great and immediately boots into the Xenium OS screen when powered on. The problem: no controller inputs are recognized in any of the controller ports (I've tried with four different working controllers). So basically I boot to Xenium OS, but cannot select any of the menu options. (I should also mention that before the Xenium install, everything had been working fine).

Now, when this first happened, naturally my thought was that I had not properly reconnected the ports back to the motherboard, but upon checking they seemed to be well connected (I cleaned the ports and reconnected for good measure). I have looked at the traces on the motherboard and they seem fine. I imagine the chip install went okay since I can boot into Xenium OS(?) Port have been cleaned thoroughly. The only thing I have not tried is swapping the 1&2 ports with the 3&4 ports (in case there is a problem with port #1, and Xenium OS will only recognize input from Port #1???)

Does anyone have any idea what the problem may be? It seems odd that none of the 4 controller ports are working, and all I am left with is an idle Xenium OS screen on my system. Could it be a single bad solder joint on the Xenium chip?Could it be that Port #1 is busted?

Thanks for the help!

Edited by Icarium

I would say the traces along the bottom front have damage from the Clock cap leaking 

Pull the board out and have a look for the dark spots like in this pic.

If your not sure post a pic of the board.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It get's the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

8NU5c2S.jpg

I have 2 OEM controllers and 2 after market controllers (Mad Katz). All four of them were working fine before I stripped down the console though (that's why I was stunned when none of them were working after the mod). I even tried each controller in each port on the XeniumOS menu screen and still never got a response. 

10 hours ago, Icarium said:

I have 2 OEM controllers and 2 after market controllers (Mad Katz). All four of them were working fine before I stripped down the console though (that's why I was stunned when none of them were working after the mod). I even tried each controller in each port on the XeniumOS menu screen and still never got a response. 

did ya check the cables? maybe you didn't insert them all the way in? Im talking about the mobo/controller daughterboard 

• Like 1

Yes, triple-checked those. That was the first thing I checked actually, because I was sure that was the issue. They are pretty secure though, and I used the front panel wire harness as a guide, (since that seems to be working fine). The wires in the harness also look secure and should be making connection.

Just an update: I did try swapping ports 1&2 with ports 3&4, but no dice. Also the traces look very good; no irregularities like the ones shown in the above photo. 

Troubleshooting will be difficult going forward. For instance maybe both ports are busted, or the controllers I have just aren't working anymore (which seems unlikely given that they were all working before I stripped down the console). I would hate to have to buy a verified working controller or port though :(

My next move might be to detach the OpenXenium chip from the LPC to see what happens if I boot stock. Otherwise, I'm all out of ideas. If anyone has any more suggestions I'm all ears!

EDIT: I will also post several photos tonight after I get home from work in case anyone notices something from the images.

Edited by Icarium

You can boot the stock BIOS by adding the TSOP as the source in the Launch Items menu.

Oh wait, you can't use the controller to add that BIOS to the Launch Items or even select it if it had already been added.

I'd try what you were thinking of doing. Disconnect the modchip from the LPC pin header and see what happens.

• Like 1

Well, the problem is solved, here's an update:

I went ahead and removed the modchip from LPC....and controllers started working when booting into stock! So I thought 'ah, must be something with the modchip'. Decided to reattach the modchip to see if I could replicate the controller problem and....controllers worked. So I reassembled my Xbox, and now everything seems to be working.

Still not sure what the issue was; modchip not seated correctly? A loose connection that was fixed by reassembly? In any case, thanks for the replies everyone, it looks like this is a rocky start for my first xbox project! :(

• Like 1