OGXbox.com

Mb Screw Size/Type

HDShadow

Does anyone here know exactly what the screw size/type are used for the 13 screws which secure the Xbox MB (motherboard) and PB (power-board)?

Obviously they're Torx10 with what are called, depending on preference: domed, button or pan heads. However I've had a great difficulty actually identifying the screw length, diameter and, most importantly, the thread type/pitch.

Some sources say they're M3 (metric 3mm) but I'm pretty sure they're not; the thread is not the same as any other confirmed M3 PC screw types I have. The thread is more like a UNC type than metric.

The screw length is also open to question: using a steel rule it is difficult to tell if it is 8mm, 3/10", 7/24". Neither of the latter make any sense as they're not recognised Imperial/US screw lengths. I'm not even sure 8mm is an accurate enough measurement to the degree required for precise identification.

Appreciate any knowledgeable help on this. 

Edited by HDShadow

I would say that they are custom made for MS  the silver ones mesure 7.8mm and including the head 10.3mm the gold version is 7.7mm and 10.1mm including the head and I can't say I have seen anything the same in other electronics devices.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It get's the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

So there is not likely to be any off the shelf replacements available?

That's disappointing as the main reason I asked is that somebody else on another forum is apparently using their Xbox with no screws to the PB and only three on the MB. Obviously I suggested this was not a good idea, particularly the PB being completely unsecured. But when I looked into the screw type required I realised they were not any common type.

The Torx10 heads are practically irrelevant, a Philips cross head or posidrive would be just as good and as long as the head has a flat underside wide enough to contact the grounding ring around each screw hole that is all that matters. But the screw pitch, type and diameter are important and that's where the identification problem arises.

I'm going to ask on some other Xbox forums about this. Someone might know more or at least recognise the thread.     

3 hours ago, Kekule said:

the closest I've found are #5-20, but they arent quite right.... M3 self tapping arent quite right either....   but I would be extremely surprised if they were custom... 

The 6 screws holding the case are custom so why not the other screws.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It get's the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

2 hours ago, SS_Dave said:

The 6 screws holding the case are custom so why not the other screws.

Cheers

SS Dave

true, the length are custom, but its highly unlikely that is a custom thread

The one's I found in my container of assorted screws come from an old home audio system PCB to chassis mounting

The thread length is the same and the thread diameter is a bee's dick thinner(0.1mm) with the thread pitch ever so slightly different but been a self tapping screw it would no matter.

IMG_20200313_121712.jpg

But where to buy them NFI.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.