OGXbox.com

I Still Haven't Removed My Clock Capacitor - Here's Why

v3ck1n

My main gaming system is a green Halo xbox I bought maybe a year ago off ebay - it was in great condition and had never been opened before I got it. When I removed the case to clean it out I found the motherboard is a 1.4 revision with a gold clock capacitor. I remember reading online this is a high quality capacitor Microsoft switched to after they realized the cheap ones were failing. Does anyone here have any more information on this? Pics attached I took today. 

20200308_060257.jpg

The Nichicon 'gold' clock caps are said to have greater longevity but whether they do is not certain. It could be the only reason they're not failing in the same way, yet, is that they were fitted to late model v1.4MB onward. So they're all the youngest caps and the older PowerStor ones which are failing after <15 years use have actually exceeded their life expectancy.

All my v1.6 MB Xboxes have Nichicon ones and they're all working, if with reduced charge hold time, and showing no signs of leaking, bulging or other indications of cap failure. I actually replaced a PowerStor one on a v1.4 MB with a Nichicon one from a spare parts v1.6 MB recently. Looking at the removed one it looked in very good shape and I'm wondering if I jumped the gun and removed a still perfectly good cap. 

But the fact is the life expectancy spec for the caps of that type whoever manufacturers them are not significantly different: typically 1000hrs at 70C -75C. 

Edited by HDShadow
  • Thanks 1

There has been cases of the Gold clock cap starting to bulge and leaking the version 1.6 boards but it's still not as common as the 1.0-1.4 boards.

The 1st leaking clock cap I had was 13 years ago and I think it's depends on the climate the Xbox lives in as that one was in a tropical location.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It get's the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

• Like 1

Certainly it will depend on the typical operating temperatures and, I believe although cannot prove it, whether the Xbox was left attached to a power supply 24/7. I think keeping the cap charged up even at the lower temperatures with Xbox off might have a significant effect on their working life. It would explain why some people have suffered early clock cap leakage and others have not had any problems........................yet.    

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

of course it was the right thing to do. if it's a 1.6 replace with a new one. technology has vastly improved on super caps since the early 2000s. if it was a 1.4 there is no reason to even have the cap there.

I have been trying to find a 1.4 mobo for a long time but keep getting different revisions.

Edited by lopenator

17 hours ago, SS_Dave said:

Here is a pic of a clock cap out of a 1.6 and it's started to leak just like the older version in the 1.0-1.4

1-6-gold-cap.jpg

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

So they ARE flawed. Lol

15 hours ago, lopenator said:

of course it was the right thing to do. if it's a 1.6 replace with a new one. technology has vastly improved on super caps since the early 2000s. if it was a 1.4 there is no reason to even have the cap there.

I have been trying to find a 1.4 mobo for a long time but keep getting different revisions.

Yeah, it was a 1.4. Runs fine without it. :) You can't just find a 1.4 revision online? There are 1.4 motherboards listed on eBay. You could always just swap that into another case. 🙂

2 hours ago, lopenator said:

I'm trying to get it for not evilBay prices.

Bro it's 38 bucks for a motherboard and keymatching HDD. It's practically a new Xbox for you It's really not that much. Worth the money, in my book anyway.

Edit: there were two listings: both in the high 30s with free shipping. Now they're 70 bucks. We BOTH missed out lope. Ah well... Guess I'll buy a parts one with a bad DVD ROM drive to get the mobo I need to fix my black coma console.