OGXbox.com

Smartjoy Frag - Hunt for Manuals?

I grew up playing FPS on the PC, so it never felt natural playing them with analog controllers. I recently bought a used XIM4 and for me it makes a HUGE difference in gameplay, it actually feels like the games were designed from the ground up to be played with a Keyboard/mouse combination, minus the console button hints on the screen ;)

I also have an original XBOX and a PS2, so I'm trying to find used SmartJoy Frags for each of them. I know it won't be as good as the XIM, but I'm willing to try them anyway, as I'm intent on playing all HALO games, and I want to start with HALO 1 and 2, then eventually jump to the X360's Halo 3, ODST, Reach and 4.

Every SmartJoy Frag I found for sale so far didn't include any of the original content: the Quick Start Guide manual, the Game Presets Table manual and the quick reference card. I did found an external forum topic from 2011 which included pictures of the complete packages for both XBOX and PS2, which I attached to this post

Does anyone have any of these manuals, and is there any possibility of scanning them for Internet posterity and future reference?

smartjoy_frag_ps2.jpg.b750113c1bb95b69ded7b1d26024d006.jpg

smartjoy_frag_xbox.jpg

Edited by johnyept
deleted text by accident!

Forgot to mention, there's also a clone called Max Shooter (not Max Shooter One) for PS2 and XBOX, I couldn't find what's in the respective packages but f it also has a manual, the instructions might be very similar or identical to the SmartJoy Frag ones. Here's what I compiled about the functionality of both the SmartJoy Frag and Max Shooter devices so far:

SmartJoy Frag PS2 Presets:
    F1=SOCOM II: US Navy SEALs
    F2=Medal of Honor: Frontline
    F3=Time Splitters 2
    F4=James Bond 007: Nightfire
    F5=Tom Clancy?s Rainbow Six 3
    F6=Ghost Recon: Jungle Storm
    F7=Return to Castle Wolfenstein
    F8=REZ
SmartJoy Frag XBOX Presets:
    F1 = Halo 2
    F2 = Medal of Honor: Frontline
    F3 = Chronicles of Riddick
    F4 = Counter Strike
    F5 = James Bond: Nightfire
    F6 = Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six 3
    F7 = Return to Castle Wolfenstein
    F8 = Unreal Championship
Program keys / change default keys:
    Hold ESC, press original controller button, press desired key on keyboard or mouse, release ESC
Other Keys:
    F11 = Advance Use / Save extra preset?
    F12 = Standard Layout / Reset preset?
    ESC INSERT or ESC DEL = Swap Mouse and Keyboard to opposite Analog Stick
    ESC 0 thru 9 = Set Center Dead Zone
    ESC - or + = Sensitivity Level

max shooter for original xbox.JPG

max shooter for playstation 2a.jpg

I got one for Xbox, looks exactly like that one on your picture, all the info you need is already on the Quick Reference paper, there is nothing more insightful in the other papers. Tried Halo and Halo 2, disappointed me, no feel like it's a PC shooter. Would recommend you to get a Ryzee 119 adapter for Xbox 360 controllers and connect your XIM4, that way you will have way more tuning options. Good luck.

Edited by neighbor
  • Like 1

Thanks for the input!

I found a video which luckily shows the Quick Reference card in detail here for the XBOX. The PS2 version is basically the same except for the control keys, but using the (blurry) image above they're easy to figure out.

Knowing that, the only information missing is about the F1-F8 presets. How do they differ from the Standard Preset? Different keys? Different Deadzone settings? Does the manual explain these presets? If they're using different keys, I'm pretty sure they can be figured out using XBOX's Gamepad Tester (TestLaunch) or a similar PS2 App.

If I manage to buy a SmartJoy Frag for each console, I'm pretty sure they will not include any manual, so when I have them I'll dig a little more into this and make a reference sheet for both consoles. For now, the keys below should be enough to start ;)

Advanced Features:
    Deadzone: [ESC] + [0] to [9] (0 = 0, 9 = 90)
    Fine Tuning with [ESC] + [+] or [-]
    Invert Mouse Y axis (up/down): [ESC] + [PgUp] or [PgDn]
    Swap Move and Look: [ESC] + [Ins] or [Del]
    Factory Default: [ESC] + [Ctrl] + [Alt] + [Del]
Game Presets (PS2):
    F1=SOCOM II: US Navy SEALs
    F2=Medal of Honor: Frontline
    F3=Time Splitters 2
    F4=James Bond 007: Nightfire
    F5=Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six 3: Black Arrow
    F6=Ghost Recon: Jungle Storm
    F7=Return to Castle Wolfenstein
    F8=REZ
Game Presets (XBOX):
    F1 = Halo 2
    F2 = Medal of Honor: Frontline
    F3 = The Chronicles of Riddick
    F4 = Counter Strike
    F5 = James Bond 007: Nightfire
    F6 = Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six 3: Black Arrow
    F7 = Return to Castle Wolfenstein
    F8 = Unreal Championship
Other Presets:
    F11 = Blank Preset (for programming from scratch)
    F12 = Standard Preset (matches control key table)
    Use the Standard Preset (F12) for easy navigation through menus
Control Keys (PS2):
    Left Stick: [W][A][S][D]
    Cross: [SPACE]
    Circle: [B]
    Square: [V]
    Triangle: [G]
    L1: [TAB]
    L2: [CAPS LOCK]
    L3: [Q]
    Select: [BACKSPACE]
    Start: [ENTER]
    R1: [R]
    R2: [F]
    R3: [E]
    D-Pad: [UP][DOWN][LEFT][RIGHT]
Control Keys (XBOX):
    Left Stick: [W][A][S][D]
    A: [SPACE]
    B: [B]
    X: [X]
    Y: [Y]
    Black: [TAB]
    White: [CAPS LOCK]
    Left Trigger: [L]
    Right Trigger: [R]
    Left Thumb: [Q]
    Right Thumb: [E]
    Back: [BACKSPACE]
    Start: [ENTER]
    D-Pad: [UP][DOWN][LEFT][RIGHT]
Programming:
    Hold [ESC] key, press the control key (see above), press the destination key or mouse button, release [ESC] key
Saving: [ESC] + [F1] to [F8] overwrites original!

Edited by johnyept
Replaced quote tag with code tag

bud, I know it's 2020, but I don't have a good camera and my phone can do blurry silhouettes, maybe later will somehow find a camera for this.

regarding your questions, those F1-8 are presets for each game, you can also edit them. Pushing any F button, instantly changes the preset during gameplay. Yes. each of them has different button binding and dead zone. But again, you will be disappointed, if you only want it for the result, not as collectible. The biggest con in my opinion, is the lack of separate X and Y sensitivity tuning.

Edited by neighbor

29 minutes ago, neighbor said:

bud, I know it's 2020, but I don't have a good camera and my phone can do blurry silhouettes, maybe later will somehow find a camera for this.

regarding your questions, those F1-8 are presets for each game, you can also edit them. Pushing any F button, instantly changes the preset during gameplay. Yes. each of them has different button binding and dead zone. But again, you will be disappointed, if you only want it for the result, not as collectible. The biggest con in my opinion, is the lack of separate X and Y sensitivity tuning.

I myself had a really low res camera in my phone not so long ago, so I know where you're coming from.

I'm in no hurry to get the manuals as I don't have any hardware for it (yet), but it would be annoying to buy it and not knowing how to use/program it... at least the photos of the Reference Guides were already a HUGE help! I've tried downloading the manuals for the XBOX/PS2's Max Shooters which are also photos from the manuals' pages and should be pretty much identical to the SmartJoy Frag manuals, but the links are long gone, even from Wayback. I've PMed someone which made a PDF from those pages back in 2009, but I'm not keeping my hopes up for a reply.

http://web.archive.org/web/20080402034352/http://www.maxshooter.com/ps2.htm

http://web.archive.org/web/20080322003159/http://www.maxshooter.com/xbox.htm

I'm not into collecting stuff, just some M$/Nintendo/Sega/Sony consoles from 16-bit up that all fit into a (yet to be customized) KALLAX 4x2 shelving unit and a handful of games and controllers, but in this particular case I want it for both the collectible AND the experience. I've read somewhere else about that exact issue, that some games have different X and Y movements because they were designed with analog sticks in mind and ease of use, so not all of them translate correctly to mouse movements, but the same person also wrote that we "eventually get used to it", so I'm willing to give it a try! Now it's just a matter of waiting for one or both of the devices to pop up in an online marketplace in my country which might take between one day and a few years. Meanwhile I have a plethora of retro games in my backlog to keep me occupied while I wait!

• 1 year later...

Hi! I managed to find one of these brand new (even came with a promo cap and T-shirt), so I've got all the documentation for it. I've made a PDF out of it. It's the PlayStation 2 version, but the Xbox version is pretty much the same. Enjoy!

Oh, I might as well share some custom key bindings too. First column is the controller button, second is the default binding, and third is the custom binding.

DEUS EX    

X Space Z (RMB)
O B Left shift
Square V Tab
Triangle G Caps lock
L1 Tab Space
L2 Caps lock V
L3 Q Caps lock
Select Backspace B
Start Enter Tilde
R1 R T (LMB)
R2 F X
R3 Enter R
Up Up E (Scrl up)
Down Down Q (Scrl down)
Left Left G
Right Right F

MAX PAYNE    

X Space N/A (RMB)
O B Q
Square V R
Triangle G Tab
L1 Tab F
L2 Caps lock Caps lock
L3 Q C
Select Backspace Tilde
Start Enter Backspace
R1 R N/A (LMB)
R2 F Space
R3 Enter X
Up Up N/A (Scrl up)
Down Down N/A (Scrl down)
Left Left 2
Right Right 3

BLACK    

X Space R
O B F
Square V E
Triangle G Z
L1 Tab RMB
L2 Caps lock C
L3 Q  
Select Backspace 1
Start Enter `
R1 R LMB
R2 F G
R3 Enter  
Up Up Q
Down Down X
Left Left 3
Right Right 2
Edited by alphaTECH
Custom bindings
  • Like 1

Great find! I found/bought a SmartJoyFrag for XBOX in March but unfortunately it didn't have any documentation. Many thanks for the PDF and the custom bindings ;)

I'm always searching for a SmartJoyFrag and/or Max Shooter for PS2/XBOX, if I'm not mistaken Max Shooter allows separate horizontal/vertical speed configurations for the mouse, otherwise both devices are identical in functionality.