OGXbox.com

8164 Dvd Replacement

shadowfire36

I literally lost 4 xbox dvd drives this week(cant seem to fix any of them following guides i have been reading ) , and  have been reading that a lg 8164b can be used as a replacement. i really dont care if can play OG games i just need it to finish my softmod .

So my question is , will i need to make any modification to use this drive or will it work just plug-in it in the IDE and using a power splitter ?

anyone ?

No, it will not.  You have to build a circuit to pull signals from the 8164's control board to simulate signals a stock Xbox DVD drive sends and receives from the System Management Controller via the 12 pin all yellow or brown/white wire cable.  This cable can be used to power the 8164 as well instead of using a Molex Y-power splitter.

To install a softmod, the DVD drive has to be able to read ORIGINAL game disks.  There's an xbox8164adapter.zip file on the Internet that is the flashing tool with modified firmware to allow the LG-8164B to read original Xbox games.  Or, at least, that's what it is supposed to be.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KaosEngineer said:

To install a softmod, the DVD drive has to be able to read ORIGINAL game disks.  There's an xbox8164adapter.zip file on the Internet that is the flashing tool with modified firmware to allow the LG-8164B to read original Xbox games.  Or, at least, that's what it is supposed to be.

the softmod didnt finish , it rebooted to finish the final step when the drive died , for the most part my softmod is working , i have SID with unleash x on it , i hate that dash and want uix ,  its been a good 10 years since i have done this and completely have forgotten how i setup sid with UIX in the 1st place with the SID. i keep reading that ndure is the new way to go but i kept having  issues installing it , as it goes black every time i try to install it( i think it failed do to dvd drives)... i figured since the drive completely took a dump , i could get away with just a drive that can just read the disc 

I would fit a Open Xenium modchip and then you can format C and E drives using the modchip's built in HDD tools then FTP the Xbox OS to C:Drive using the modchip's network interface, once that's done then FTP the rest of the stuff you want on the HDD once the Xbox can run on it's own and no DVD needed or look in to using a PC to copy the required files to the Xbox hard drive providing you have the HDD Key from the EEprom to unlock it.

Last but not least find a working Xbox DVD drive

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It get's the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

6 hours ago, SS_Dave said:

I would fit a Open Xenium modchip and then you can format C and E drives using the modchip's built in HDD tools then FTP the Xbox OS to C:Drive using the modchip's network interface, once that's done then FTP the rest of the stuff you want on the HDD once the Xbox can run on it's own and no DVD needed or look in to using a PC to copy the required files to the Xbox hard drive providing you have the HDD Key from the EEprom to unlock it.

Last but not least find a working Xbox DVD drive

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It get's the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

i already tried that with both of modded xbox's , then re-build to  a stock 5960 , no matter what i do the HD drive i pop is always black whrn i power it on or has unleash x and any app i use turns me to a black screen ..even used a xboxhdm and i get the same result .

@KaosEngineer is it possible to just use the pc  drive? i  read in another forum someone used a standard dvd in an xbox and crediting to you a guide he use to loop and ground the dvd  power cable so that a regular dvd drive could be used in its place 

Edited by shadowfire36