OGXbox.com

If Microsoft Were To Release a Retro 'mini XBox'.

xbinwin

What features would you want to see?

Or would you rather not see any of the sorts at all, after looking at the underwhelming retro product delivered by Sony, the Playstation Classic?

I think it would be sweet to see a miniature version, that would enable you to download games of your choosing, outputting higher resolutions etc

All in all it would be nice to expose a bigger audience to the classic Xbox and its unique features and feel.
But there also lies the problem... How in the world could any manufacturer do it justice, without just throwing out a cash grab?

I am a bit surprised that MS have not released one all ready with the others doing it Sony,Sega Mega drive,Atari Flashback.

Would I buy one probably not unless it was super cheap.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It get's the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

On 3/3/2020 at 12:14 AM, SS_Dave said:

I am a bit surprised that MS have not released one all ready with the others doing it Sony,Sega Mega drive,Atari Flashback.

Would I buy one probably not unless it was super cheap.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It get's the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

Thinking about it more thoroughly, I came to the conclusion, that it might be still somewhat early for them to release it, as the console was part of the generation of the Sony PS2 and Nintendo Gamecube.
Microsoft have also been more active in making backwards compatibility a thing within their newer consoles.

Therefore they might have been seeing a release of such a mini retro console as something that would cannibalize their existing efforts.
The main goal could be that they just want people to buy their newest current-gen products.

I can't see it doing to well in sales as you can get a decent xbox with a bunch of games pretty cheap and there's plenty of games about going cheap but I do like the thought of a mini xbox with possibly some of the best and some extremely rare games on it... Maybe some games that were only released in Japan, America or other parts of the world for each country 

• 2 weeks later...

I don't see it happening since the OG xbox is right on that knife edge between old and retro.  I own a couple games on steam that were released on disk for xbox: Hitman Blood Money, Flatout, Morrowind etc.  The games are available on PC and modern consoles in ways stuff like classic SNES games were not until very recently.  Also, no offense, but Nintendo folks are willing to buy literally the exact same game on five different consoles.  Digital releases and stuff like The MCC is the Microsoft solution to those mini-consoles since Live was such a huge part of the xbox experience.  No point in walking around Blood Gulch all by your lonesome, and no point in manufacturing a physical item when you can just release it digitally and drive sales on your existing platform.

IIIIIF MS did decide to release one I would like to see system-link implemented in a big way.  Bring back the xbox lan party!  Wireless controllers, system-link, 1080p upscaling, and a couple of the most popular MP games like Halo 2 or NFS: Underground 2.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I bet it would have that native xbox emulator on it that ran on the xbox 360. That xbox emulator  ran all xbox games about perfectly. Just think an mini xbox with like 1gb of ram. That would totally rock. Have Halo, and Frozen and a bunch of others. I buy it for sure. Mod my classic would get ahold of it and that would be awesome. 

• Like 1