OGXbox.com

1.6 Powers On Then Immediately Powers Off

bassinhuntin

Attempting to show my grandson my daughters Bad*** Xecuter 3 Mod Original Xbox. I attempted to power on several times and different ways ( tapping quickly holding down power button and using the disk button) the unit would immediately shut down. The Xbox played fine a year ago. It was unplugged sitting on a shelf. So I opened her up and  found some swollen capacitors and replaced them. While in there I also re applied paste to GPU and CPU. I tried again to power her up and same result. I'm lost at this point if any of you guys have an idea.

Thanks from East Texas

9 minutes ago, bassinhuntin said:

AS soon as I get a chance I will share some pics. I had already put it all back together hoping I could find someone to work on it for me.

I would have a look at it for you but the postage would be a killer to and from Australia.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It get's the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

I almost wish that had been the problem because now we're back to square one.

You've posted this on other forums with more shots of the top of the MB, would be a good idea to post some of those or new ones here too.

The sort of problem described sounds like a PSU one as SS_Dave suggested. Something is heating up very quickly and the Xbox shuts down ASAP.

Maybe the caps you replaced had already leaked and damaged some traces - but finding the culprit could be like looking for a needle in a haystack.

I had a version 1.6 that was doing the same last night. It would start to boot then shutdown and in my case the removing the DVD drives yellow power and IDE leads fixed it, good thing I had a no DVD bios.

There is some solder joints on the power supply that I would resolder but I don't think that's the full problem and for me I would take 5 - 10 minutes and  run an iron over the whole board.

IMG_4656a.jpg.b0efd8982c693134d2759cf0a78ed61d.thumb.jpg.6d525288b969de46d09aceca11d6f6a4.jpg

Failing that you may need to beg, borrow or steal a version 1.6 power supply to test you main board.

What happens if you boot the Xbox with no dvd drive and no hard drive?

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It get's the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

5 hours ago, bassinhuntin said:

I already purchased a new psi couple years ago and acts same. With just MB hooked up acts same. I checked the transistor also but it was 3.6 volts. 

As I have a 1.6 open just now here is the voltage reading from it.

IMG_20200302_142807.thumb.jpg.ad4b4eb1b0f9b8a1ae9bc821c4832673.jpg  IMG_20200302_142814.thumb.jpg.25a9690c00d86c65d957ccdc1e799cf3.jpg

and just in case it's a switch problem if you disconnect the yellow harness from the front panel and temporary short the pin 1 and 2 it should boot up.

aAlso test the two pin from the power/eject and when not pressed should read 3.3 volt and 0 volt when pressed.

IMG_20200302_144519.jpg.f5b29d1767b4de22bf4eaf9b2595ddd0.jpg

Cheers

SS Dave

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, bassinhuntin said:

At this point if anyone that would like to help me get this thing going for my grandson that would be awesome and of course would pay you for your time and shipping to and from. I have over 200 games for this system haste to see it go to waste.

Where are you located?

If you want to post to me in Australia sure I will help 

Cheers

SS Dave