OGXbox.com

Hdd Upgrade Parts List Are These Okay ?

Craiguk

Hi Craig 

Here is my 2 bobs worth.

I have a Sata to Ide adaptor the same as this from aliexpress and over 2 years later it's still going.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SATA-Converter-Adapter-Module-Support/dp/B07NSZY669/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=&qid=1582496718&sr=1-17

Put the Startech brand is the Bees Nees when is comes to IDE-SATA adaptors.

For 10 quid more and double the space

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Techstyleuk®-Western-Digital-Drive-Desktop/dp/B07VBN65D5/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=2tb+sata+3.5+hard+drive&qid=1582496584&sr=8-3

Plus I use the same drives in my home NAS, just stay away from the green drives.

As for the 80 way cable that should be fine. Although I did see a FB post about some of the Amazon one's not having the connectors in the middle 40 pin socket and the connector would slide up and down the 80 way cable.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It get's the job done but it's nothing like the real thing

Spot on, appreciate that dave. deffo worth spending the extra tenner for double the space.  If you can reccomend a decent ATA133 cable that would be great, also i need to do the thermal paste, it's artic silver 5 if im correct ? but i been thinking as the original past has been on there for 17 years is it best to let the console run for a while before i try and remove the heat sinks as im guessing its gonna be super stuck on there ?

Really appreciate your help, thank you so much.

1 hour ago, Craiguk said:

Spot on, appreciate that dave. deffo worth spending the extra tenner for double the space.  If you can reccomend a decent ATA133 cable that would be great, also i need to do the thermal paste, it's artic silver 5 if im correct ? but i been thinking as the original past has been on there for 17 years is it best to let the console run for a while before i try and remove the heat sinks as im guessing its gonna be super stuck on there ?

Really appreciate your help, thank you so much.

I have used  Artic 5 Silver and Prolima PK-2 as well as liquid metalpads and didn't see any difference in CPU temps, I got a 2 deg celsius drop by painting the heat sink matt black.

When you try and remove the GPU heat sink run the Xbox for 5 minutes 1st then gentle twisting.

For the 80 way some thing like this and trim the round casing of works well.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/equip-111425-UDMA-Drives-Round-Cable/dp/B00FLP3QC8/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_1?keywords=UDMA+80+way+ide&qid=1582505347&sr=8-1-fkmr1

The last 80 way cable I paid $2 for 3 at the shop run by the local rubbish tip. That also where I have got 75% of my Xbox's for  $20 aud each or less.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It get's the job done but it's nothing like the real thing