OGXbox.com

Disc Tray Bezel Removal

HDShadow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1N4Oes8MeRA

Very good and useful video about how to remove the Xbox's disc tray bezel/faceplate but at between 30 - 45 secs the guys says: "........................... you're going to think you've broken it but you didn't" or words to that affect, repeated several times.

Well..............................................guess what: I tried this with the spare dead disk drive and thought I'd broken it.............................and I had. The shower of black plastic pieces was a good indication. :)

What broke were both the retaining channels each end which slide down over the edge of the tray front not the locking tabs as you might think.

I believe I understand what went wrong; when I pulled the tabs clear of the bottom edge of the tray I continued twisting the bezel just that little bit too much.

What you should do is when the tabs are just clear of the bottom of the tray stop pulling out/twisting up the bezel any more and change to pushing it straight upwards to slide it off the tray. Once the tabs are clear of the bottom edge of the tray and you start to push up they are actually lodged against the flat tray front surface behind the bezel and from that point all you're doing is sliding it up and off. No more twisting or pulling out is necessary.

The little crack you may here is, or should just be, the bezel pinging back into shape as it is under tension. If that is accompanied by a small shower of plastic then you've done it wrong.

In short: you do need a bit of firm physical persuasion initially but after that be gentle. Bezels do break.

Edited by HDShadow