OGXbox.com

Getting Game Saves Off a Broken Xbox

Big Poo

It's not going to be a simple thing to get the game saves as the Hard drive is locked to the main board 

You are going to need to read the eeprom from the non working xbox to get the HDD key for starters.

What have you tried to get the Xbox working ?

Cheers

SS Dave

Those that can Hard-Mod. Those that can't Soft-Mod.

SS_Dave - Thanks for the response. So far I have replaced all capacitors // replaced the one of the transistors for the clock capacitor // tried swapping power supplies // changed out all cables with known working cables. Also completely cleaned it out and checked for any debris or broken pieces to see if it was causing a short. Also have an update if it was Modded or not. I was informed that the Xbox menu would go to it's  "Blue Screen" before it stopped powering on.

image.png.87ffd290de03579a263515cad947d3e6.png

Edited by Big Poo

Is there any lights on the front panel flashing?

If that's the screen when it was booting or should boot to I would say it was soft modded.

One way would be read the eeprom on the dead version 1.6 and write that to a working version 1.6 the swap the drive and then you will have a working Xbox with you old info/saves, But it may be the eeprom thats at fault then you will have 2 dead Xbox's.

The hard drive will be locked but the unlock key maybe "XBOXSCENE " or 'TEAMASSEMBLY"

By using a program like XBOXhdm you may be able to unlock the drive and copy the UDATA folder

Cheers

SS Dave

• Like 1

I think that picture is just for reference and the OP has not managed to fix the Xbox and get it working.

There is always the possibility the HDD was unlocked but if it was a softmod then that is unlikely.

So basically all he has is totally broken Xbox that won't power on at all and its HDD. If the HDD is locked to the Xbox, and all the evidence is that is the case, the only way to get the eeprom off the Xbox is by using an eeprom reader.

As the Xbox is dead you will also need an external power source to be able to get a reading. Google or whatever and you'll find plenty of tutorials on using the reader although a lot of them do assume the Xbox can be powered up. But the information on the required external power source and where to use it can be found with a little more research. 

Once done and the eeprom.bin extracted, using a PC or another Xbox, there are several options which can be used to unlock the HDD and get at its content.

I was informed that the Xbox menu would go to it's  "Blue Screen" before it stopped powering on.

The way I read this is it was modded and stopped working and as there has been no mention of a modchip I am thinking it was soft modded.

I tell people with PC's to make backup's  maybe Xbox users should be doing the same backup the game saves to a memory card or USB.

It's also why I push for Modchips/TSOP flashing then you can run with the drive unlocked, If the xbox dies swap the drive to a new Xbox that's been modded and away you go ,It saves having to stuff around reading the eeprom and unlocking/locking hard drives.

Plus it the drive stops working just put a new drive in and run your install disk to setup the new HDD

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like having a wank, It gets the job done, but it's nothing like the real thing.

• Like 1

Indeed it is not clear from either the OP's original post or the one with the (SID?) softmod screenshot exactly what state the Xbox he has is in. I took it and the accompanying statement to mean that is what he had been told (by the seller) it would do but it does even do that.

I went by his first statement:-

I have done everything possible to get it to power on but no luck.

That should mean nothing is working ie. when either the power or eject buttons are pressed nothing happens ie. it does not power on.

If it is going to a dashboard then it is powering on and booting properly to a dashboard but then immediately powering down wouldn't he have said so?

Could be a language issue here in which case Big Poo needs to describe the problem better and in full.

OK so let me clarify for you awesome people!! My brother had this xbox since day one. It would boot up to the blue screen when he powered the xbox on(Years ago) after one of his boys said they could mod it. Now it will NOT Power ON at all. As I stated in the original post -  I have replaced all capacitors // replaced the one of the transistors for the clock capacitor // tried swapping power supplies // changed out all cables with known working cables. Also completely cleaned it out and checked for any debris or broken pieces to see if it was causing a short.  Nothing I tried worked to get the Xbox to power back on. Just need to get the saves off the HDD. My bro has some saves on there that were pretty rough to achieve. One being completing Steel Battalion with out dying on the hardest setting. I am pretty good with the Hardware aspect of things but not so good when it comes to the Software. I see some your suggestions and I will try them. I cant thank you enough. I meant what I said about you guys being Awesome!!

Edited by Big Poo

My brother had this xbox since day one. It would boot up to the blue screen when he powered the xbox on(Years ago) after one of his boys said they could mod it.

The way I read that is it was soft modded so the hard drive key may be the one I posted before.

Can you post a pic of the main board both sides?

Retrieving the game saves is not going to be an easy thing for the inexperienced.

One way would be buy a 2nd Xbox the same version (1.6) as the broken one and read the eeprom from the old one then write the file back to the new one. You could also swap the EEprom chip from the old to new.

When you have done that the old hard drive will work in the new Xbox.

Or as mentioned before read the eeprom from the old Xbox and then use a PC with a program like  Xboxhdm to gain access to the game save.

Any way you go you need the hard drive key from the EEprom.

Cheers

SS Dave

Using an eeprom reader as I suggested is the only way of getting the required eeprom information from the dead Xbox now.

As ^ said, even with that information you still have to have the job of using it to unlock the HDD. A second modded Xbox of whatever version could be used with Chimp 261812 and the imported eeprom. I think it has to be copied to the Y drive but check the readme which comes with Chimp 261812 about that.

I have just done that myself and I was correct; from early 2017 Chimp 261812 was updated so the imported eeprom.bin needs to be Y:\eeprom.bin. Still do check the Chimp 261812 version being used to make sure it is the latest one with that update. 

Anyway, again I think ie. not done it myself, I'm pretty sure you can unlock the slave drive using that imported eeprom.  Remember the old HDD must be set to Slave.

Now you could probably use it in an external USB housing with XBHDM but the simplest solution would actually be to lock it again but this time with the new Xbox's eeprom instead. That way you can just swap HDDs (resetting the jumper to Master first) and if the softmod on the old HDD is still OK it should boot with all the content accessible.

But I urge you to check for confirmation from some other source as at some point Rocky5 changed the required location of the imported eeprom.bin. 

Edited by HDShadow

I think eeprom read and write to another xbox is the fastest and easiest way to go. 

Just get a pcor laptop with serial port, make a simple cable, just 4 wires needed. Start ponyprog, dump the eeprom. 

Read another eeprom and change the hdd key in that one to your old one. 

If you have the cable it is done in 5 minutes. 

But first check if your power and eject button are really arriving at the Pic micro controller and if the Pic has power.

• 2 years later...