OGXbox.com

Usb Question

Swirlygiver

Not sure what USB version and TBH it is pretty much irrelevant. USB2.0 flash drives, other memory and USB devices like keyboards are all backwards with USB1 and USB1.1. However the Xbox is very picky particularly with flash drives and whether they're USB 2.0 or earlier does not seem to make any difference as regards compatibility.  I think XBMC can even write to (only) some, compatible, FAT32 formatted flash drives  There is always the FATX <4GB USB attached storage limit to consider too.

Far easier (and more sense) to use a Xbox controller port to USB(F) cable. They''re still being sold on Ebay and I think even Amazon had them last time I bought one.

Some modders add a USB port to the side or front casing and others have modded official memory cards into USB ports. I would have thought adding a USB port would be the better idea than butchering a controller port.

As for reading/writing from the file manager to a USB flash drive or other memory device yes, but with caveats. It sees them like they're memory cards and transferring stuff from them generally works perfectly so is very useful for transferring small size items to the Xbox from PC. Xplorer360 or similar required for that of course.

The problem is when writing to them from the Xbox. Sometimes they'll just error and go completely missing from the file manager. It usually happens and repeats on a particular file and you'll retry multiple times (shutdown and restarting or reboot and port swap are usually needed) and then, no explanation, it'll just copy. Very frustrating.    

Edited by HDShadow

I use a <4GB SanDisk flash drive very regularly with Xplorer360 to get stuff to/from the Xbox. This week it has been the OGX skin, Rocky5's v584 UnleashX patch, a config.xml, eeprom backup and a couple of zipped alternative dashboards.

If I was set up for FTPing permanently it would be unnecessary but even then I have another Xbox I use regularly which can't be easily networked because of its location and I'd still use the flash drive to get stuff to it.

The mouse and keyboard, yes: really not worth effort. You still need a controller for certain important functions and just finding out where and what keys function correctly on a Xbox attached USB keyboard means it can be a very awkward and slow process so you end up swapping between one and the other.  Far from ideal.   

16 hours ago, HDShadow said:

I use a <4GB SanDisk flash drive very regularly with Xplorer360 to get stuff to/from the Xbox. This week it has been the OGX skin, Rocky5's v584 UnleashX patch, a config.xml, eeprom backup and a couple of zipped alternative dashboards.

If I was set up for FTPing permanently it would be unnecessary but even then I have another Xbox I use regularly which can't be easily networked because of its location and I'd still use the flash drive to get stuff to it.

I have used a ethernet power line adaptors at the rental I was in and found them to work well 

1 end goes to the router plugged in to the power point and the other unit is next to the Xbox and plugged in to the power point and a cat5 cable to your Xbox so no network cable running over the floor.

Like this sort of thing

845418024_powerlineadaptor.jpg.fd85936245b5bbda168e069f49c36186.jpg

Cheers

SS Dave

Those that can Hard-Mod. Those that can't Soft-Mod.

• Like 1

Indeed a very viable solution but they are relatively expensive. A powerline networking starter kit, like TP-Link, is typically £30/$40 whereas a <4GB flash drive plus USB Xbox adapter could be under £5/$6.50.

Poweline adapters can also be susceptible to electrical interference and complete signal loss if certain other electrical devices are drawing a lot of power from a house's main ring circuit. 

If your home's wiring is fairly new you shouldn't have interference problems unless the electrician put in sub-standard cables. But it can be a different experience if your wiring is old. Plenty of instances of interference reported with powerline adapters if you Google and not just one way either they themselves can affect other electrical devices too.