OGXbox.com

Botched Tsop Soldering - 1.0 - Repairable?

Uowjcnat

I have an Xbox 1.0. I have an Xecuter 2.3B Lite+ mod chip (solderless with the pogo pins).

It was working fine both with or without the mod chip, however I was keen on changing this to a TSOP as the d0 pogo pin can sometimes move out of position causing 3 boots then FRAG (Christmas Lights). Through a combination of bad skill, a bad iron, and bad solder; I managed to lift all of the solder pads in question (R7D3 and R7R3), plus one of the alternate solder points to R7D3.  See the attached images of the board with the lifted pads highlighted.

Now without a mod chip, it Christmas Lights. I wasn't expecting this as I thought lifting the solder pads wouldn't actually cause any issues (since they are all at the end of a trace rather than in the middle), just prevent me from performing a TSOP.

With the mod chip it still works fine. Also strangely if the mod chip is switched to Disabled, it now boots the mod chip. My understanding is that this indicates there is something so screwed with the TSOP that it's booting from LPC even without d0 being grounded.

I'm wondering if there is anything that can be done to repair the TSOP here? I have checked every trace I can in the vicinity with a multimeter and they all seem to have continuity. The R7D2 resistor seems to still be connected just fine. There are a few traces I can't really check as they go under the Nvidia chip.

Or am I best to give up on the TSOP and get an Aladdin XT-4032?

IMG_20200204_125624~2.jpg

IMG_20200204_125730~2.jpg

All is not lost

Test for a short between the red arrows if not add a link as shown

869393705_IMG_20200204_1256242.thumb.jpg.ad86e723f5782bdd1fa2bd0fcbef5abb.jpg.39b66fbaf134b0e10e7a06ab9c97faca.jpg\

Test for a short between the 2 black arrows if not add a link

1316875420_IMG_20200204_1257302.thumb.jpg.67f1bc961edbafca98dbbdcdc0156d9d.jpg.bbcd9f464421a8f8641fada60c8fa2c7.jpg

Alternative D0 point on the bottom

IMG_20200208_220318.thumb.jpg.ed52d74a66b8be6e15c52448103d7ae0.jpg

Do this and get back to me with what happens.

Can you post a pic of you mod chip?

Cheers

SS Dave

Those that can Hard-Mod. Those that can't Soft-Mod.

• Thanks 1

Found these two pictures for v1.0-1.1 and v1.2-1.5 showing the traces to be connected to enable writing to the TSOP.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Source: https://www.xbmc4xbox.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1822 or https://www.ogxbox.com/forums/index.php?/topic/20-tsop-flash-guide/&do=findComment&comment=70

The OP at the xbmc4xbox.org.uk link above states that the creator was davicoro of Xbox-Scene.

• Thanks 1

Thanks both (and thanks Kaos for replying to my Reddit post too :)).

I will give it a go.  But can I just understand, is this likely to repair Christmas Lights (3 boot then FRAG?).  I get that these are alternate ways to bridge the points to allow writing to a TSOP,  but I wasn't aware this would solve the failed boots.

I would suspect that the stock Bios Is damaged as the damage to the board is not that bad

There is a post about a version 1.0 Fraging.

https://www.ogxbox.com/forums/index.php?/topic/2623-v10-frag/

You could try that as a fix thats providing that's it not the 1st 256kb of the bios

Fitting your mod chip with out using the spider option would be the way to go.

Cheers

SS Dave

Those that can Hard-Mod. Those that can't Soft-Mod.