OGXbox.com

X3 Modchip No Flashbios

ShinGoutetsu

Hi,

I have just bought a v1.6 xbox with an xecuter 3 modchip and for some reason it has an evox m8 bios that it boots from.

I'm trying to get to flashbios to install an x3 bios but I have 2 issues:

1. No dip switch combo will bring up flashbios, it will just refuse to boot except for the one that has the m8 bios.

2. Pressing power and eject together will usually not make the chip go into recovery mode and if it does I have no video. Is this because I'm using a wii2hdmi mod and the resolution is too high?

Obviously as theres no X3 bios on the chip I cant hold white and boot as x3 config live isnt on there due to no x3 bios. 

Is there any way I can use evox and flash flashbios 3.0.1 onto one of the bios banks?

Thanks in advance

Hello ShinGoutetsu

I just tested a X3 chip in a version 1.1 that has one of N64freaks HDMI kits fitted and no problems get to the recovery screen but the X3cp in a  version 1.6 with component out won't work with the power/eject and the only way to get to recovery is via holding the X button while booting.

If your using NTSC try disabling all but the 480.

Cheers

SS Dave

Those that can Hard-Mod. Those that can't Soft-Mod.

• 2 weeks later...

So, after finally getting a standard av cable and reverting back to normal PAL output I can boot to recovery holding in power and eject for 3 seconds which brings me to flashbios 3.0.3.

So i set dip the switches to a 1mb bank and flash x3 3294 v16 1mb bios file and it boots a pre customised (purple) X3 bios and the LCD says "Marks sexbox" (lol) but it halts there and won't go any further.

Very frustrating although I do have evox M8 on another bank so I can still boot to xbmc. Is it possible the customised X3 bios settings are looking for a particular xbe on the C partition?

Is it at all possible to remove these customisation's given that holding the white button doesn't bring up x3 config live?

The dvd rom is a phillips which unfortunately isn't reading media so I can't boot an installer disk

What controller are you using with the console?

Hold the White button from right after you turn on the console until the X3 Config Live main screen appears.  I don't believe it's just a one button press after startup. You have to hold it until the menu pops up.

Can you post the X3 3294 BIOS's dot bin file that you flashed?  I'll flash it to my X3 modchip and see what happens.

4 hours ago, ShinGoutetsu said:

Very frustrating although I do have evox M8 on another bank so I can still boot to xbmc. Is it possible the customised X3 bios settings are looking for a particular xbe on the C partition?

It could be looking for an xbe file in the root of the C, D, E or F drive. I'm not sure it knows about Partition7 - the G drive.

Update: I'll have to test booting an xbe file from the G drive and post the results with my findings.

Found this bit of info on the Wayback Machine - http://web.archive.org/web/20050323121849fw_/http://home.comcast.net/~x3guide/Old/BIOSFAQ.htm

Question: How do I change the "Xecuter Rox My Box" logo at startup?
Answer:

The Xecuter 3 will load a custom image from your XBOX's E drive named x3logo.bmp if you wish to add a little pizzazz. To do this, do the following:

1. Open MS-Paint
2. Hit Ctrl-E and enter 180 for the width and 50 for the height

X3Logo_Change_Dims.png
3. From here create whatever type of logo you wish
4. Hit Ctrl-S to save the image. Type in "x3logo.bmp" without quotes.

X3Logo_Change_Save.png
 Change the type from "24Bit Bitmap" to "256 Color Bitmap".
X3Logo_Change_BitDepthChange.png
6. OK to the error.
7. FTP into your XBOX via EvoX/X3 Config Live/Avalaunch and place the image in the root of the E drive.

This is what it should look like:

X3Logo_Change_Done.png

The attached x3logo.bmp is jet black and will clear off the logo.

x3logo.bmp

18 hours ago, KaosEngineer said:

What controller are you using with the console?

Hold the White button from right after you turn on the console until the X3 Config Live main screen appears.  I don't believe it's just a one button press after startup. You have to hold it until the menu pops up.

Can you post the X3 3294 BIOS's dot bin file that you flashed?  I'll flash it to my X3 modchip and see what happens.

I'm using an official s controller and i'm holding down the white button but the x3 config live screen doesn't show at all, it stays on the X logo screen as if it can't find any .xbe to launch.

I've uploaded the x3 bios I'm using although I did try downloading and flashing another with the same results which makes me think there's a custom config on the x3 itself.

x3.3294.v16plus.bin

The X3 3294 is a OS you now need to put a Bios in one of the  banks

I have my X3 set to "autostart off" that's under customize X3 Bios and to get to the main config screen you can hold either White or X or B button while it's booting  or the  power and eject at the sametime.

Cheers

SS Dave

Those that can Hard-Mod. Those that can't Soft-Mod.

The X3 BIOS is a modified Xbox BIOS and OS (X3 Config Live) all in one.  It does not require a different BIOS to be flashed to another bank.

Some modchips, Xenium and SmartXX to name a few, do have their own OS that runs the chip and provides additional features - FTP server, hard drive tools, flashing tools, EEPROM tools, etc. These also require you to flash a modified Xbox BIOS and select it or have it set to autostart/boot to run Xbox apps (games).

14 hours ago, ShinGoutetsu said:

I'm using an official s controller and i'm holding down the white button but the x3 config live screen doesn't show at all, it stays on the X logo screen as if it can't find any .xbe to launch.

I've uploaded the x3 bios I'm using although I did try downloading and flashing another with the same results which makes me think there's a custom config on the x3.

Is the controller connected to port 1?  

I don't think that matters but ...

Another thing I'll test and let you know what I find.

Update: Which port the controller is connected to doesn't matter. 

I checked your posted dot bin file's MD5 hash to Team Xecuter's distro:

• ShinGoutetsu's X3 BIOS MD5 hash: BCB4681087626FC4ACEEC1D4E663525C 
  • Team Xecuter's X3 v16 MD5 hash: BCB4681087626FC4ACEEC1D4E663525C

The same.  It's not the BIOS. It must be the settings saved on the X3 chip itself.

• Like 1

Here's a possible fix.  

You were able to boot a different bank's BIOS to run a replacement dashboard?

If so, extract and upload the folder and content (default.xbe) from the attached archive.   This Xbox application clears the X3 modchip's EEPROM settings. Some version's of the X3 BIOS had a password bug where once you set a password you could not get back into X3 Config Live using the password you set. IIRC, X3 Config Live did not set the password you entered but used a default value no matter what you entered (I can't remember the default value it used - I'll have to try and find it.)  This app cleared all the X3's settings not just the password. Any user-defined settings were set back to the default values along with no password.

x3_eeprom_erase.rar

9 hours ago, KaosEngineer said:

Here's a possible fix.  

You were able to boot a different bank's BIOS to run a replacement dashboard?

If so, extract and upload the folder and content (default.xbe) from the attached archive.   This Xbox application clears the X3 modchip's EEPROM settings. Some version's of the X3 BIOS had a password bug where once you set a password you could not get back into X3 Config Live using the password you set. IIRC, X3 Config Live did not set the password you entered but used a default value no matter what you entered (I can't remember the default value it used - I'll have to try and find it.)  This app cleared all the X3's settings not just the password. Any user-defined settings were set back to the default values along with no password.

x3_eeprom_erase.rar 24.33 kB · 1 download

Thank you it worked, I can now get to X3 config live. Must have had that password bug but now it's back to defaults

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I had the same problem, but solved it by just reflashing the X3 3294 bios to bank 1234 (1024k). I've got another issue though, I can't get the HeXeN DVD to boot. SlaYers EvoX 2.7 boots fine, both are burnt on the same burner and same type Verbatim DVD-R. Any ideas asides from re-burning until I get lucky?

Edited by drageset

Should not take that long for a HeXEn disc to launch but 30 - 40 seconds is normal. Also expect the LED to turn red. That is normal too. Older HeXEn versions launched faster.

AID takes even longer whether from disc or installed and it is not the use or not of dummy file (any size) as used to be blamed for that delay.

I've tried burning a new DVD with HeXeN on a different recorder, but still the same problen. It spins up, keeps on working for some time, then the screen flashes quickly showing the UnleashX logo, and the black screen again. Even if I leave it alone for more than 5 minutes, it just does the same over and over again. The UnleashX logo appears approx once per minute.

It's getting frustrating, I don't know that causes it. The same DVD loads fine on my other Xboxes which doesn't have the Xecuter 3 chip (I've even tried moving the DVD-player between units).

Any ideas?

Which version Xbox?

Which BIOS and version of it are you booting from the X3 modchip?

Evox - m7 ,m8, m8plus; X2 - 4979-4983 or 5035; X3 - Build 1879, 2914, 3029, 3294, etc.; ind-bios - 5003 or Beta Feb-11-05 (aka 5004) or something else.

Which hard drive type is installed: IDE or SATA? 

If SATA, which IDE-to-SATA adapter? And, are you using a 80-wire 40-pin high-speed IDE cable with it?

Sorry, I should have known better than to no including any details.

Xbox v1.4, bios X3 3294, disk WD 200GB IDE (stock 40-wire cable). Samsung DVD (and Philips tested).
X3 Bios set to boot default.xbe from DVD (other DVDs work).

Same DVD not having any problems booting from v1.1 TSOPed, Samsung 2TB SATA drive (80-wire cable with adapter), or v1.1, Chameleon chip, WD 200GB IDE.

I've tried both HeXEn 2017 and TruHeXEn2019, same result on both.

I've tested the following DVDs with the same result (Xbox show bios splash screen, then go to black, DVD splash screen (i.e. UnleashX logo, Slayer logo) shows every [X] seconds). The results were the same whether I used bios X3 3294 or M8+ .67 on my v1.4 Xbox. I've tested burning on different DVD-media, with different speeds and with different recorders. I've also tried using both a Samsung and Philips DVD-player in the Xbox. All were tested with the X3 chip enabled.

HeXEn 2017 [40], HeXEn 2019 [40] , AID 4.6 [55], Slayers 3.37 full [4], Slayers 3.5 lite [5], X-Board Boot CD 4.0 [no splash], Rocky5 Softmodding Tool disc [16],

Strangely enough, Slayers 2.7 works, both when burned on DVD and on CD-RW. X-Wizard Autoinstaller 3.0 and AvaX-disk 2.5 on DVD-R also work.

When testing the very same DVD-discs in my v1.1 box with M8+ .67 bios (unknown modchip) (2TB SATA drive), they boot, regardless if I use the Samsung or the Philips DVD-player which were tested on the v1.4 Xbox.

I don't want to keep on spamming this thread with my problems, but at the same time I'm eager to find out what the issue is. I could try TSOP'ing the v1.4 Xbox, but it's just as easy to prepare the HDD in a different Xbox and then move it over. I guess it might also bring more clarity if I move the X3 chip to a different Xbox, but then again - is it worth the trouble?

Any thoughts appreciated.

Edited by drageset