OGXbox.com

Modchip/Hdd Options

xasapricky

*n00b post*

I've just picked up an og Xbox recently as a present and I'm keen on modding it. From what I've read I have a 1.4 or 1.5 version (based on the Focus chip). I've found a few Aladdin XT-4032's on eBay, but wanted to get some opinions and hopefully some alternatives? I've found a list of compatible HDDs too, what's everyone's current spec/model?

Edited by xasapricky

Hello xasapricky

It will be a version 1.4 as no one has ever seen a 1.5

Your choice of mod chip is like the Chevy versus Ford thing.. It will depend on what your planing to get out of your Xbox.

On the version 1.0-1.4 the TSOP(BIOS) chip can be reprogrammed to do the same job as a basic mod chip.

The Aladdin chip or the reprogramming will do the same job if your planing on just fitting a big hard drive and loading it up with games.

The Open Xenium and others have there own boot loader that can be used to enable several different BIOS's and EEprom editing etc etc, Stuff that 75% of users won't/don't use anyway.

With you choice of hard drive it's your call I would say stay away from the green type/power saving ones and it won't matter if the drive can't be locked as with a chip/refashed TSOP it doesn't need to be locked, I use the WD Black version's for the 1tb and 2tb.

Here I have a Version 1.6 with a X3CP and a 2tb hard drive also a version 1.2 with a TSOP Flash and a 750gb HDD and a Version 1.6 with an Aladdin chip and a 500gb drive, I am also putting together a 1.4 with 128meg ram HDMI out and a 2Tb HDD.

Cheers

SS Dave

Those that can Hard-Mod. Those that can't Soft-Mod.

SS_Dave, thanks for the info!

The goal is to expand HDD and just load it with games. I had a chipped Xbox growing up and it's only recently packed it in. Can you dual-boot with the TSOP flashing? Or is that a function of a modchip? I'm not real worried about doing it, more so just curious. I've seen other mods for wifi adapters/HDMI that I'm keen on trying, but that's down the track. Where do you purchase your chips from? I've only been able to spot them in eBay and none provide much detail haha. 

Problems with power on/off and eject, more so power such as phantom/ghost power on or off and instant power on when AC is connected, for 1.0-1.5 Xbox revisions are most likely caused by damage to the very thin traces on the bottom side of the motherboard along the front edge that carry the power, eject, red and green LED control signals to/from the front panel to the System Management controller - a PIC processor on the motherboard.

6 hours ago, xasapricky said:

SS_Dave, thanks for the info!

The goal is to expand HDD and just load it with games. I had a chipped Xbox growing up and it's only recently packed it in. Can you dual-boot with the TSOP flashing? Or is that a function of a modchip? I'm not real worried about doing it, more so just curious. I've seen other mods for wifi adapters/HDMI that I'm keen on trying, but that's down the track. Where do you purchase your chips from? I've only been able to spot them in eBay and none provide much detail haha. 

You can Split the BIOS on a version 1.0-1.1 as they have a 1meg chip and make 2 X 512kb or 4 X 256kb  and with the 1.2-1.4 have a 256kb chip so one bios only.

You could do a duel boot on a 256kb board by flashing the on board with one bios then fit a Aladdin chip with a second bios. But 75% plus of people only ever use the one bios.

I get mine from EvilBay or Aliexperess 5 at a time and you will find the Aladdin_Plus chip are all the same and you can reflash them if you want. If your wanting a Open Xenium search FleeBay.

As for Wifi I have seen some conversions but not something i would need as my Xbox's has a hardwired network conection

HDMI I use N64 freaks kit that replaces the OE av connector and did my 1st internal Wii2HDMI conversion last night witch seem to be working well. The internal HDMI is not for a beginner soldering.

Cheers

SS Dave

Those that can Hard-Mod. Those that can't Soft-Mod.