OGXbox.com

Tsop HeXEn Install Questions

Swirlygiver

I have a TSOP v1.0 that I did a fresh install to a 2TB hard drive using HeXEn 2018.  I then installed XBMC4gamers as my default dash.   Now I am wanting to know what I need and what I can get rid of from the HeXEn install. Since I use XBMC4gamers I had two copies of dvd2xbox.  I already deleted the one HeXEn installed, and I deleted xb partitioner, figuring I won’t need it again on this Xbox.   What else don’t I need?  HeXEn put a lot of stuff on the E partition.  I’m wondering about the contents of the HexIns folder, HeXEn Tools folder, and the delete me folder.  What is Config Magic for?

And unrelated but, can anyone point me to where I can find a copy of the controller tester?

Edited by Swirlygiver

7 hours ago, Swirlygiver said:

And unrelated but, can anyone point me to where I can find a copy of the controller tester?

There's a link to download it, named testlaunch, on the originalXbox subreddit wiki - https://www.reddit.com/r/originalxbox/wiki/testlaunch

Update: There's also a version of it in this web site's download section:  (you have to have enough forum posts to be allowed to download it or pay a minimal amount for a yearly subscription for instant access:

This file I believe has many filler files in it.  Meant to be burned to a DVD-R disc to fill it so the Xbox's DVD drive will recognize it. 

Update: Just checked, it is only a small XISO (dot iso) file not really the version you need to burn a disc for the Xbox DVD drive to reliably recognize it.

The testlaunch version is meant to be installed to the Xbox hard drive.  No additional filler files needed.

Update 2: There is another version that expands to 2-4GBs, from an archive not much larger than either of these two veresions. I don't recall the exact size - I believe it was on theisozone.com - now offline. :( 

I will add a link to it once I track it down.

Thank you. I actually found that one on the XBMC4gamers URLdownloader shortly after I posted that.  I’m not used to looking there just yet.  

Do homebrews have a “default folder”,  that they’re usually installed to?  I’ve never tried any, but with a 2TB drive, I figure why not.   

And would it affect anything, if I delete some of the HeXEn stuff I mentioned?

I believe that TruHexen 2019 has a cleanup feature that removes all the unnecessary Hexen files.  I have not tried this yet, but I though I remembered reading about it in the features list.  I may also be totally wrong about this, but if you have a copy, maybe give it a look over.

7 hours ago, ChiPPyX said:

I believe that TruHexen 2019 has a cleanup feature that removes all the unnecessary Hexen files.  I have not tried this yet, but I though I remembered reading about it in the features list.  I may also be totally wrong about this, but if you have a copy, maybe give it a look over.

Yes truhexen is a ship load better then hexen 2018/19 and it no longer changes the dash with out been told to and cleans up after it's self like a good little program should.

Cheers

SS Dave

Those that can Hard-Mod. Those that can't Soft-Mod.

I have tried both and after testing TruHeXEn it really it 6 of one and 1/2 dozen of the other.

I still lean toward Slayer and it's probably because I have been using it for so long and the Hexen 2018/2019 pissed me off with the crap left on the drive plus one time i installed Xblast from the hexen disk and after rebooting the Xbox it had changed the dash as well.  

And I don't like when some Facecrap members tell me that slayers is old and to never ever use it and the only disk I must only use hexen 2019.

So I would suggest the before you start loading the drive up Do an install with Slayers 2.7 and give it a go then try TruHeXEn and see which one you like.

If you wan't there is also a Slayers 3.3.0 out in roaming about in wild as well.

Cheers

SS Dave

I did my first TSOP (v1.4) last week and used HexIns , the installed version of HeXEn. It was either the 2017 or 2018 update version, not sure.

Maybe useful info: if you use HexIns rather than from the disc for the TSOP the eeprom backup and flash menu Exit Back To Dash EvoX menu option will not function. It is set up to use the path E:\HeXEn Tools\unleashx.xbe which presumes you're using a HeXEn installed C:\ and E:\drive ie. a HeXEn softmod.

Pre-TSOP you might well not be and if you've just installed HexIns from the disc that is going to be wrong too. It can easily be edited to the correct path.

If you use it as is it means that any of the HexIns menu options which launch the EvoX dash, like Lock/Unlock HDD the only way out is to turn off the Xbox. IGR does not work and in any case would take you back to your main dashboard not HexIns. 

AID's equivalent tool, when AID is used installed, has the same issue. The path is back to the D:\drive. That is not so easily edited as the eeprom backup tool is launched from a ZIP folder: eeprom.zip. It needs to re-packed correctly after you've edited the evox.ini path and it seems you can not do that on the Xbox. It needs to be done on the PC.

In answer to the question above:- unless it has been updated recently Slayers IS ancient but the main reason not to use it for a TSOP is that it specifically warns you against using Slayers with softmods. The Xbox is softmodded until it is TSOPed and still has a softmod installation present afterwards. The manual also recommends that you do not try TSOPing at all! Would anyone not confident about TSOPs choose a tool that had warnings like that?

I'm not a fan of any HeXen dash installations either but as a tool set I'd trust it and its built in warnings, explanations and clear instructions 100% for all purposes. It works - you might not like its final finish but once done and the HDD unlocked you can use whatever dashboard installer you want afterwards.

That's what I did: as said I used HexIns for the TSOP BIOS flash. But after unlocking the HDD I simply took it out, put it in USB housing, formatted and  bleached it on PC then back into the Xbox. Cold booted an AID4.53 disc and used it to set up the HDD from new.     

Talk about going the long way of flashing a TSOP.

From around 2004 I have been using game save exploits to flash the BIOS without the need to soft mod 1st and have been able to use 007 Agent Under Fire,Mechassault,Splinter Cell to flash a BIOS.

Cheers

SS Dave

This is only my second TSOP.   I had already done the second one, before I read on this forum, that you don’t need to softmod fiirst.  I may try flashing from the game save exploit next time.  I’d like to see a complete tutorial on how to do that.   But I don’t really mind doing the softmod first, since I have no plan to use the original drive after.  For these two, I soldered the board first, then softmodded, then TSOP and unlocked the hdd, then the plan is fresh install to a large, new hdd.   

Right just most interested in what gives the cleanest, fresh install, on a new hdd, after a TSOP.  I got annoyed with the HeXEn 2018 install leaving a bit of stuff. TruHeXEn took most of it, but there’s still hexins.  To me, a perfect install would be one that leaves nothing but maybe UnleashX or EvoX, so whichever I choose would eventually become my backup dash.  I have always liked XBMC in one form or the other.  I also prefer choosing which Apps to install. 

I think most users do not go in for a TSOP right from the start. Its something you think about trying later and inevitably that means post-softmodding.

But I'd be interested to see a tutorial on TSOPing just using the game save exploit/installer as well.

What I still do not understand is this fixation about having to use HeXEn, HeXIns, TruHeXEn Slayers, AID or whatever to do the whole job. They all can be used like that but once the thing is flashed bung in a new HDD and set it up from new with your preferred chipped/TSOP dash installer.

Nobody has to use the same tool that they flashed the BIOS with to install a dash. HeXen does the flash reliably, as safely as possible and with an unarguably good GUI, use it for that and then forget about it if you're not keen on some of the dashboard features it installs.

I'm not either so I stick with AID4.53 Lite for a basic UnleashX dash install on a blank HDD but after that I customise it myself. All part of the fun.  :)  

Edited by HDShadow

This is the screen on my version of the Mechassault Game save hack.

IMG_20191231_082142.thumb.jpg.fc9432222ea1e7e727d6ddfa56548292.jpg

1st  Test the Xbox before you go to far then open the Xbox clean it remove the clock cap and add the 2 links to enable flashing.

2nd Reassemble it  and test to make sure it's still working.

3rd Copy the game save from you memory card/USB to the Xbox and if the same game save is there already there remove it 1st then copy.

4th load the game in this case Mechassault and launch the game save.

5th If you have put a BIOS in the game save files bios folder you can use the Flash Bios menu or you can use Xblast to flash the BIOS via a network connection,.

6th TSOP Flash compleat.

Now fit a new Hard drive and using you favorite install disk do a clean install.

Games the can do this are 007 Agent Under Fire, Mechassault,Splinter cell,Tony Hawks Proskater 4.

Cheers

SS Dave

• Like 2

I was going to ask that too. Not all installers UDATA 21585554 > 000000000000 folders contain a BIOS folder. SID5.11 doesn't and I've just had a quick search through some other softmodding packages and I can't find any that do. I'd assume you create that yourself and either the flashing tool would use it by default or you can point it at that location.

But that does need clarification.

HeXen, AID, SID, Rocky5 XSMT downloads are your best source for BIOS files. EvoX dashes also come with a BIOS folder but most of those are old and not recommended. There are some Xbox BIOS collections downloads you can also find, maybe some here too.

HeXEn, particularly the updated versions, have the biggest selection.

HeXEn, AID etc usually come as an ISO for burning to disc so if you just want the BIOS files you can extract them on PC using Qwix or C-Xbox Tool.    

On 2/6/2020 at 11:56 AM, HDShadow said:

I'm not either so I stick with AID4.53 Lite for a basic UnleashX dash install on a blank HDD but after that I customise it myself. All part of the fun.  :)  

That’s actually what I want.  I tried Slayers this second time, and IMO it’s not much different from HeXEn. I’ll be looking for that AID disc

I did say it's my version of the Mechassult game save hack and it's a single game save.

There is a Bios folder in the game save that has BIOS's in it or you can use Xblast to flash via the network.

You also have the option to FTP to a bog stock Xbox and retrive the eeprom backup folder that can be made from the main menu also lock/unlock a hard drive and any other option that Xblast offers.

Cheers

SS Dave