OGXbox.com

Softmodded 1.6 XBox Can't Boot Into Ms-Dashboard

xbinwin

My Xbox always gets stuck when the Microsoft logo pops up below the big Xbox logo in the center of the screen. How could I boot into the dashboard?

I softmodded it in 2012 and could've easily messed up somewhere.

Games and unofficial DVDs work just fine, luckily.

Thanks in advance

4 hours ago, xbinwin said:

My Xbox always gets stuck when the Microsoft logo pops up below the big Xbox logo in the center of the screen. How could I boot into the dashboard?

I softmodded it in 2012 and could've easily messed up somewhere.

Games and unofficial DVDs work just fine, luckily.

Thanks in advance

Are you sure it's softmodded?

Cheers

SS Dave

Those that can Hard-Mod. Those that can't Soft-Mod.

I had a similar thing happen, but never fixed it. My theory is, the original MS dash file can't be found in the place the softmod expects it in (it might not be included with the softmod). Try to get hold of the MS dash from a backup. I'm thinking the file needs to be copied to shadowC, or on the root drive. Not sure where, but it's not getting found in the expected folder.  hopefully this helps a little

On 1/31/2020 at 5:21 AM, DarkSaiyan said:

Easy way to sort this issue is to use Rocky 5's soft modding tool. This will repair or replace any soft mod version.

watch this video for how to do it. links for downloads are in his video info.

Everything worked like a charm! Also backed up both EEPROMS, before and after NK'ing.

Now it's on to the next level: Upgrading the HDD, getting an IDE/SATA adapter and a new 80 pin IDE-Cable.

I was impressed to see that my Xbox hit only 56°C at peak, probably because it wasn't a heavy load of work. Will need to re-apply some new thermal compound as well, as it's never been swapped in the past 15 years, I only thoroughly cleaned the motherboard and the entire case using 38% Ethanol and a toothbrush/brush

Thanks for your replies and especially thanks to Rocky5 for providing such excellent software!!!

Edit: Forgot to mention that I'm also building my own Component Cables from an Xbox 360 HD AV pack next up

h34b569327c322ad2.jpg

286432128b6hd923.jpg

Edited by xbinwin
Mentioning Component Cables

20 minutes ago, van0014 said:

You used 38% Ethanol, what was the other 62%? 38% sounds like whiskey. The best to use is isopropyl alcohol, since it leaves no residue. I heard that traces of sugar can deteriorate a pcb.

No, it was a proper cleaning solution which consists of 38% ethanol, probably laced with distilled water or something similar and other ingredients which make it not suitable for human consumption. Interestingly enough the other 62% are not accounted for on the label of the plastic bottle.

Yes, isopropyl alcohol is the way to go, definitely - I was lazy though, and lucky thus far, it seems

Aah, I was jumping to conclusions. Ethanol in a cleaning solution is a good choice. I'm thinking for any non-consumable, the manufacturer only needs to mention active ingredients and/or toxic ingredients. And for anything food grade, ingredients that make 5% or less can be unlisted

Edited by van0014

26 minutes ago, van0014 said:

Aah, I was jumping to conclusions. Ethanol in a cleaning solution is a good choice. I'm thinking for any non-consumable, the manufacturer only needs to mention active ingredients and/or toxic ingredients. And for anything food grade, ingredients that make 5% or less can be unlisted

Ethanol is good in cars as well when it 85% or more

Cheers

SS Dave

Those that can Hard-Mod. Those that can't Soft-Mod.