OGXbox.com

Wiped Eeprom With Arduino. No Av Out, Even With Configmagic Default Eeprom

van0014

I accidentally wiped my EEPROM with an Arduino when trying to read it, and have no backup. Now even with Config Magic's valid blank EEPROM, there's no video out. Only a green blink code (34? It's 3 fast and 4 slow blinks)

Now I'm wondering if there's any way to fix it.

This rarely happens, so there's not much info on the net about it. I'm thinking even if I got a modchip such as openXenium, the motherboard might be useless.

Should I give up on this yet and just get another box, or get the modchip (already prepped the v1.6 board with headers and LPC rebuild)?

Can the modchip make it boot with bad EEPROM data?

Eventually, I got the Arduino code reliably reading and writing data, but even with the 'valid blank' EEPROM data, that hasn't helped so far.

Which version of Xbox are you trying to repair the EEPROM with 'valid blank' data?

I'm not sure if the 1.6 motherboard you mentioned that you prepped is this dead one or a different one.

If it's a 1.6, the 'valid blank' ConfigMagic eeprom data won't fix it.  There's 64 bytes of additional information stored at the end of a 1.6's EEPROM that's zero filled on 1.0-1.5 Xbox's. (https://xboxdevwiki.net/EEPROM)

UPDATE: As far as I know, no one has ever taken the time to fully figure out the purpose of these 64 bytes of data from address 0xC0 to 0xFF.  If someone did, they never released it to the public.

It is believed to be some sort of history or RAM configuration info.

I tried softmodding it, by manually copying NDure C and E files over, overwriting without backups. I didn't use any script to try modding it. All I have is an apparently corrupt EEPROM file that my bad Arduino code gave me. 9 of those 64 bytes are there, the rest are blank. Though this 'backup' I made with Arduino is highly unreliable.

I have only one Xbox, a v1.6, the one where I wiped the EEPROM is also the one I prepped for a modchip. I've got the chip on order, thankfully. The seller tells me that it has 4 bios banks, and that it could boot from them instead of EEPROM. I don't understand it, but it should help. The EEPROM isn't used for a bios image, only for settings I think.

Changing them 64 bytes gives heaps of feedback from the eject LED. Still no video out (either LPC rewire or EEPROM caused that initially).

I got it solid green by setting all to 0xF0 (fan very slowly gets faster)

It goes red, then orange when set to all 0xFF

I have EEPROM read/write working well now from the Arduino, so can easily test putting anything in the last 64 bytes

Edited by van0014
Added experiment findings

It still needs the EEprom for any of the BIOS's to boot but the Open Xenium can be used to restore the EEprom from a backup as it has it's own OS that it boots to.

That's providing that there is a backup of your EEprom on the hard drive e: directory

I can take a EEprom backup from a version 1.6 Xbox I have here and send it to you so you can try flashing back to you EEprom with the same hard ware you used before.

Cheers

SS Dave

Those that can Hard-Mod. Those that can't Soft-Mod.

That would be incredibly helpful! Should I change any of the data if it works, so it's not a clone of yours? I've tried using the RC4 encryption key (https://xboxdevwiki.net/Kernel/XboxEEPROMKey) to edit region info, but had no success there. Perhaps it's not a universal key.

I'm hoping even just getting the last 64 bytes from you could help.

More findings on the last 64 bytes,

0xF8: 0x80 this bit gives a solid green light. Still no video for me

0xC0: 0x0F - Flashing red and green

0XDC: 0X5C000800 - Gives flashing red

Edited by van0014
Added addresses

You sort of create an eeprom.bin file for your v1.6 console with the LiveInfo_Beta_3-Xbox_v1.6-Yoshihiro Windows application. ( Since I'm not sure you can click on links to download files, here it is in plain text - https://downloads.diodematrix.com/homebrew/xbins/PC Based Applications/eeprom tools/liveinfo/LiveInfo_Beta_3-Xbox_v1.6-Yoshihiro.rar - copy and paste it into your browser's address bar.)

You can enter your serial number from the serial number sticker on the bottom of the case and the HDDKey; however, you no longer know this value as it's been deleted, into the program's entry fields.  You don't know the Ethernet MAC address to fill in that box either.  Change the top download box to Xbox Version 1.6 before clicking on the Save as .BIN button.

I wish someone would redo or make an app to load in an eeprom.bin file, decode all of the data and display the current settings and allow changes to be made then save an updated eeprom.bin file.  

Looking at it maybe this app already does enough of those items.

Screenshot:

931126996_LiveInfoBeta3v1.6screenshot.PNG.6db0ea35968b2457da66f64ad6e1fe79.PNG

2 hours ago, van0014 said:

The seller tells me that it has 4 bios banks, and that it could boot from them instead of EEPROM

The BIOS banks and the configuration EEPROM are two different things.

On most Xbox motherboards, the BIOS is stored in a TSOP flash memory chip. On a 1.6 motherboard, the BIOS is stored in the custom Xyclops chip that replaces several chips on previous motherboards. 

For a v1.6 Xbox, the configuration data is stored in an 8-pin serial 2048-bit (256 byte) EEPROM at location U7D1 by the LPC Debug port.

That was worth a try. It had the 64 bytes as blank, though. At least it takes the serial number. It flashed the green light a few times then went solid.

If I knew how to handle RC4 encryption (do all  XBoxes all use the same key?), I'd make a program that decodes it all and saves it. Though my language is Game Maker, it's definitely up to that task.

Thanks for your knowledge on the bios. I now have realistic expectations that the mod chip won't help booting without the right config data.

Edited by van0014
Replied to second message as well

6 minutes ago, van0014 said:

do all  XBoxes all use the same key?

No.  I believe that's the reason there are three Xbox versions in the top drop down box - Xbox Version 1.0, Xbox Version 1.1 and Xbox Version 1.6.  Three different RC4 keys used to encrypt the various sections of the EEPROM.  I've not researched it enough to verify that there are 3 different RC4 keys used though.

Update: The source code is available for the LiveInfo Beta 3 v1.6 application too.

I had a look at the site, but it doesn't go into detail about the last 64 bytes. They seem very important. I'll quote my findings from earlier,

0xF8: 0x80 this bit gives a solid green light. Still no video for me

0xC0: 0x0F - Flashing red and green

0XDC: 0X5C000800 - Gives flashing red

Hi van0014

I had a hard time finding a version 1.6 here as most of the Xbox's I have here(20+) are pre 1.6.

Any way here is a link to the EEprom from a version 1.6 that I know is working fine as it's the kids console.

The file your looking at is the one in capital letters.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/700n512e44v1ddc/Biso edit and version 1.6 bios.rar?dl=0

Cheers

SS Dave

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, van0014 said:

A total success! It boots! Thankyou so much! I'll probably now need to edit it so it at least has a different live IP, mac address and serial number. I'll even try just copying the last 64 bytes, and using the generated eeprom

Use the included editing program run liveinfo.exe then  load the eeprom file

I would just delete the HDD key and it will populate it with zero's

Then do the same with the online key

You could put any Sn number if you want and leave the MAC address as is.

Cheers

SS Dave

Don't forget to hit the thanks tab.

I found out my eeprom backup has all the original information, except whenever the Arduino code read 0x00, it only saved as 0x0. And whenever there was a single 0 anywhere, it probably didn't copy it. Data got accidentally compressed in this way, and is difficult but possible to recover.

After a quick edit, only 12 zero nibbles are missing from unknown areas of the .bin

I found out by noticing the last 64 bytes from your eeprom match mine closely.

I'm trying to recover this only since it reminds me of reverse engineering game saves. There were some great indie games that i'd make save editors for. And that's an irresistible programming challenge

OGEEPROM_Verbatim.bin

Edited by van0014
Added corrupt eeprom

• 2 months later...
On 1/25/2020 at 10:59 PM, SS_Dave said:

Hi van0014

I had a hard time finding a version 1.6 here as most of the Xbox's I have here(20+) are pre 1.6.

Any way here is a link to the EEprom from a version 1.6 that I know is working fine as it's the kids console.

The file your looking at is the one in capital letters.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/700n512e44v1ddc/Biso edit and version 1.6 bios.rar?dl=0

Cheers

SS Dave

Is there any way at all you can repost or send this to me? I'm dead in the water after absentmindedly nuking the eeprom on my 1.6. Thanks in advance!

17 minutes ago, VCoupe376ci said:

Is there any way at all you can repost or send this to me? I'm dead in the water after absentmindedly nuking the eeprom on my 1.6. Thanks in advance!

Sure

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jleq657tytj1r4z/AABlwLFIOgEmXF9GUGtN0ttta?dl=0

You may need to rename it to eeprom.bin

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It get's the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

50 minutes ago, SS_Dave said:

Sure

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jleq657tytj1r4z/AABlwLFIOgEmXF9GUGtN0ttta?dl=0

You may need to rename it to eeprom.bin

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It get's the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

Thank you! That got me farther in the process. So now instead of fragging with zero video, I get the flubber with alternate colors for a few seconds before the fan ramps up, the light goes blinking orange, and the fan ramps up. Same thing also happens when I try to boot into recovery.

Sorry to hijack your thread van0014, but I figured since you cleared your issue up and I am going through the sam (not so successfully) that continuing here will keep the info all in one place to hopefully be of help to someone down the road.

So with a less beer filled head this morning, I went through my X3 dipswitches to make sure it wasn't mod chip related at this point since I was in X3 Config Live when I killed the box. With X3 3294, X2 5035, Evox M8, and the recovery Flashbios 3.0.3 the result is identical. With any of the 3 hacked bioses I get about 2 seconds of the flubber then the input signal to the tv is lost, the fan speeds up, and the front led blinks orange for about 5 seconds before the console powers off. Flashbios shows the loading screen for the same amount of time and does the same. To 100% rule out a modchip issue, I also removed the chip, bypassed the X3 front panel board, replaced the hard drive with the original locked drive that came with the box and tried powering up with the exact same result. I knew it wouldn't load with the original locked drive and no chip with the HDD key zeroed in the eeprom, but I believe it would have taken me to one of the contact Microsoft error messages instead of doing the same as with the chip. It is definitely still an issue with the eeprom.

So what I did was use LiveInfo to load the eeprom file that SS_Dave provided, changed the serial number and mac address to mine, saved as a .bin, and flashed it to the xbox using a raspberry pi loaded with PiPROM. Just to be sure all went well I read the eeprom and certified with LiveInfo. I still have the original drive and the 320gb from years ago which might have the eeprom backed up but can't get anything to access them.