OGXbox.com

Broken Dvd and Hdd Help!

DarkSaiyan

Yes, easiest way is to install a modchip and boot HeXEn 2018 with a new hard drive connected.  Either an IDE drive > 8GBs that is lockable (e.g., not a Maxtor QuickView hard drive) or a SATA hard drive up to 2TB with a compatible IDE-to-SATA adapter and 80-wire 40-pin 24" long high-speed IDE cable.

Or, with several additional hardware and software tools read the configuration EEPROM's content so you can build a new locked drive for the Xbox by using a USB-to-HDD Interface adapter, a PC and XboxHDM23USB Beta 2 or Beta 3.

The Beta 2 release needs to have the MS Dashboard 5960 file set added to it while Beta 3 is pre-configured to install a bootable Xbox Softmodding Tool to the hard drive - no original game disc is needed for this isntaller to run after the drive is built.

As for the DVD drive, you can use any original Xbox DVD drive in any other console.  You will need it connected for the Xbox's BIOS/Kernel to not display an error on startup. (If you install a modchip, booting a properly configured modified BIOS/kernel, you can bypass the DVD drive check.)

If you fit a Open Xenium you can setup a new drive using the chip and sending files via FTP . No DVD drive needed.

I have done it just to test the theory but it's a bit of work but probably no more than using a PC to setup the new drive.

Cheers

SS Dave

Those that can Hard-Mod. Those that can't Soft-Mod.

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE!!

brought this broken AF xbox back to life. Installed a Aladdin XT Plus, and also had to make a custom cooling solution haha.

She works!!! however the DVD drive is completely  stuffed, wont even open. 

HDD is fine just not locked hence it wouldn't boot originally. 

So now, ill just lock the drive and think about what to do about the DVD drive.

IMG_20200130_170034.jpg

IMG_20200130_170119.jpg

IMG_20200130_170955.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

If you can get that Hitachi DVD drive to work you'd have. IMHO, the best disc drive there is for the Xbox.

I'm surprised it is mechanically stuffed because that, in my experience, its great strength in comparison to any of the others. It must have been really abused.

Is it completely dead or does it try to open the tray and just fail?

If it is only the tray which is stuck, unlike the Samsung drives where that is almost guaranteed with age, I've never had to fix a Hitachi one so I'm not even certain if it uses a drive belt or whether it can use the same size replacement as the Samsungs (22mm). It could be broken gear teeth in which case you'd need, at the very least, a donor Hitachi drive to fix it.