OGXbox.com

Clock Cap Replacement, Best Alternative In 2020?

Zpidelius

I just tested a random 1.1 board and the current drawn on the clock cap was 0.019milliamp. Other boards I tested in the past have been higher at around 0.03ma

Based on a CR2025 battery has 170mAh down to the flat voltage(2.0 volt) it should last for 8900 hours or 1 year and a bit.

That is in the ideal conditions, Temperature and age of the surrounding components can change that and having a battery a good brand and is brand new.

but in practice it's totally different

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

No doubt. I was just thinking overkill.

I wonder if the rechargeable battery idea could work with a regular aa battery charger and a relay. The charger would be wired straight to 115 vac. Then, use a relay that switches to the leaky cap contact when power is lost. You would still want to use a 3 volt battery though. 2 1.5s might cause problems if you connect positive to negative during a charge. It should work. The only potential problem might be if the relay fails and your motherboard let's out all the magic blue smoke.

21 minutes ago, rjfony said:

I wonder if the rechargeable battery idea could work with a regular aa battery charger and a relay. The charger would be wired straight to 115 vac.

If you are going to do that you might as well leave the Xbox plugged in to the mains.

The clock cap is for short term time and date retention and if you need the clock setting's saved while moving the Xbox from room to room then you should replace the clock cap with a new super cap and maybe use a 2.5 or 3.3 farad cap 

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

I have seen people use bios batteries to replace the cap but i have never tried this myself, generally speaking the cap only holds power to keep the correct time for a short period of time, several hours, normally for transporting to a lan party, or a power cut, it was never intended for long term storage.  I am not sure whether using a bios battery will extend this time, it should do, considering i have turned computers on weeks after being disconnected and the bios time was maintained. TBH for what it's worth if you're running a recent soft mod, just remove the old one, clean the board and reassemble, it might be worth inspecting the other caps and giving the console a good service while at it IE thermal paste ETC, the soft mod will update the time on boot via the internet, replacing it seems too trivial. 

you could use the ones i fit in dreamcasts, the button socket and a ml2032 that is the rechargeable version of the cr 2032, if you wanted to be super anal about it you could put a small volt drop diode on one leg to drop the 3v to 2.4v too.

but i suggest if you dont need it ditch it, if you have to have one replace like for like just buy the best quality super cap you can.

• 2 years later...
On 1/25/2021 at 8:23 PM, sinclairuser said:

you could use the ones i fit in dreamcasts, the button socket and a ml2032 that is the rechargeable version of the cr 2032, if you wanted to be super anal about it you could put a small volt drop diode on one leg to drop the 3v to 2.4v too.

but i suggest if you dont need it ditch it, if you have to have one replace like for like just buy the best quality super cap you can.

This is exactly what I came here to see as I'm doing my Dreamcast and Sega CD right now and have extra batteries and holders.

Do you think it needs the diode to drop it from 3v to 2.4v? I think it should be fine. Also, how long do you think it would last if charged? Longer than a cap? Would it harm the console in any way? Any reason people asked about AA and AAA but never the ml2026 before you? Just curious as this seemed like the answer from the beginning to me.

Has anyone done this? If so, how is it? If not, what are your thoughts?