OGXbox.com

Trouble With Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2x

bandak

I'm trying to play this NTSC game on my hardmodded PAL console, but when I boot the game up from the game disc, the console simply reads it as a video and loads the DVD portion of the disc. I tested the disc on my vanilla PAL Xbox as well, and even on that console, the same thing happens with (there's no region error screen, it just plays the familiar screen shown in the link). I haven't had any problems playing NTSC games from the game disc on my modded Xbox previously, so I don't understand what the problem is. Any ideas? Thanks.

Hi bandak

How is the Xbox Modded Chip,Flashed TSOP,Soft-mod?

Have you tried to boot the Xbox with the game in the DVD drive then a power cycle?

Failing that it sound's like you need to change the game region to NTSC.but then your PAL games won't load.

I use Xblast to change the eeprom to NTSC via the eeprom edit but if you change the wrong thing you may make a door stop out of your Xbox.

Cheers

SS Dave

Those that can Hard-Mod. Those that can't Soft-Mod.

Thanks for the reply.

It's a TSOP modded Xbox. I've tried to boot the Xbox with the game in the DVD drive, but no matter what I do, the game fails to load and the console instead loads the video portion of the disc.

I'm not familiar with Xblast, but I'll look into it.

• 1 year later...

Please don't mind me resurrecting an old thread. But I recently encountered the same issue on my softmodded 1.6 PAL console. I used EnigmaH in the past to switch to NTSC so I could take advantage of the progressive resolutions. My NTSC copies of JSRF and Mechassault work, but THPS plays only the DVD Video warning. 

I did repair my other console this week. Btw the 110V PSU goes NOT like a 230V power outlet as my wife doesn't like loud noises in the middle of the night. And in this stock 1.0 NTSC XBOX the game works. So it's not an issue with the game disc itself. 

Does anyone know why? Do more games behave like that? 

tl;dr:
THPS2X on 1.6 PAL SM+EnigmaH - only video warning
THPS2X on 1.0 stock NTSC - plays as it should

*insert 'but why' gif*

7 hours ago, Matteo said:

After installing softmod on the NTSC console the game does not work either. The same as with the PAL console. 

As much as I'd love to rip the game myself, the downloaded one will do for now. 

The game does not work ??? 

It won't run off the hard drive install or from a disc in the Xbox's DVD drive?

Xbox plays only the DVD Video partition. DVD2XBOX sees only the DVD Video partition, so I guess I can rip that but not the game itself. Only the NTSC console before softmod did play the game. 

I wonder if bandak or anyone ever found a solution. As I said before, other US region games I have work. 

4 minutes ago, Matteo said:

Xbox plays only the DVD Video partition. DVD2XBOX sees only the DVD Video partition, so I guess I can rip that but not the game itself. Only the NTSC console before softmod did play the game. 

I wonder if bandak or anyone ever found a solution. As I said before, other US region games I have work. 

Ok, which AV cable are you using?  

Edit: Also, which softmod did you install?

I had to go back to composite for the softmod to work, it's the latest one from jRocky5 using MA exploit. But I guess I tried the game only woth component, although I don't believe it matters. It seems to me the problem occurs when loading the data from disc. 

1 hour ago, Matteo said:

I had to go back to composite for the softmod to work, it's the latest one from jRocky5 using MA exploit. But I guess I tried the game only woth component, although I don't believe it matters. It seems to me the problem occurs when loading the data from disc. 

I believe the problem is a bug in the game.

If you are going to use the standard definition cable, reconnected the component cables and disable the high-resolution mode settings using the stock dashboard.

Then, power off, reconnect the standard definition cable, power on and try the game again.

I know there was one game, I don't remember its name, that had this problem; however, I believe with it you could still hear the game's sounds but there was no video output when using the standard AV cable with high-res modes enabled.