OGXbox.com

Soldering Magnifier

coptimus

Hi all.  I've found that at age 40 my near vision started to really degrade.  I'm 50 now and wear contacts for reading, but still don't see the small points on a motherboard very well for soldering.  Do any of you use a magnifier of sorts when soldering?  What do you use?  I had bought some jewelers glasses, but the focal length was way off for me.

Hi coptimus

I know where your coming from my 55+ year old eyes are not what they used to be and with out my goggles I can't read a computer screen so I use something like this'
80% of the time it's just a desk lamp the other 20% for close up work (fitting 100pin ram chips).

696961179_desklamp-0-large.jpg.a313c14368eae6aab8c99ee4a14770bf.jpg

I took a small PCB to the shop and tried it 1st.

Cheers

SS Dave

Those that can Hard-Mod. Those that can't Soft-Mod.

I use a "Brightech Lightview Pro Flex" it's a magnifying glass gooseneck lamp that uses LEDs for illumination, it can be found on Amazon for about $30, it works well and has some nice led lights in a ring on the underside of the magnifying glass, the only problems with it are I don't like the plastic clamp, the spring loaded plastic clamp does work well but only seems to open about two inches, the other problem is that the power connector is flimsy, its got a  barrel type power connector at it's base and that power connector has worked its way lose, but it still works.

I have had the folding style magnifying glass lamps with florescent tubes in them but I just don't like them, they seem to get in my way and break on me, but the desk clamp and power connector is most of the time better on them.

I use a "1600x USB microscope". It's not a perfect setup, but has adequate zoom.

There's some adjustments in the mounts, to hold the camera really steady. Learn them, and the plastic mount will remain firm and reliable. Mine had 2 adjustments, one holds the ball and socket that holds the camera directly. The other pivots on the base.

-If you use phone apps or alternate software, needing to mirror and flip the image so it moves as you expect

-Suction cup can loose grip, and the camera can end up falling onto your LGA CPU socket, bending even more pins (Don't trust the mount if your working on anything delicate)

Thu Jan 09 15-40-30.jpg