OGXbox.com

High Quality Diy Component Cable

Cian Cunningham

On 5/29/2018 at 10:18 AM, Cian Cunningham said:

I have had no issues with hum on the audio with component. If you really want to do optical audio get the part number off the toslink module in the 360 cable and Google for the data sheet. Also Google 'original Xbox toslink' and you will get info. There's a forum post on xbmc4xbox with some info. I would advise to look into adding a toslink' port to the Xbox itself, any way of adding it to the cable is just not going to look clean. Best thing to do is just follow the tutorial and make a quality component cable instead of jumping in too deep straight out of the gate. If you feel you still need toslink' look into it after. Also read the entire tutorial first, there's some notes at the bottom worth knowing first.

Update: I was going to do this 360 cable mod but was in the process of moving at the time so never got around to it.  Then I had the opportunity to buy a used monster cable component cable for og xbox for only around $12 (USD) so I went with that option instead.  Now I've gone back to the idea of having a digital audio out port on the og xbox itself and will be attempting to solder an RCA panel jack to the 6 & 5 pins on the AV connector on the motherboard itself.  It won't be optical but it will be digital coaxial that I can connect to my AVR's coaxial digital in for true Dolby Digital 5.1 sound.  Has anyone here done this?

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

So I actually managed to do this mod, had a spare 360 component cable and no 360.  My co-worker decided to giveaway the OG Xbox component cable I lent him.  I'm going to miss it..

Anyways, my solders are a mess, the metal shell didn't snap back together well, I bent and re-bent some pins, and there's a hole in my mousepad, but it worked on the first try.  I used the end of a cheap s-video cable (not the Microsoft one with the box), same connector.

24 minutes ago, Viggen66 said:

Did you notice an upgrade on image quality? I have a Chinese one and on 480p the image is dreadful still haven't received my 360 for soldering.

No problem using the head of the cable of cheap Chinese as long as you do the soldering directly to it not on its cables.

The difference is literally the reason I made the tutorial. Would be no point if there was no difference. Chinese cables have zero shielding and thin cross sectional area. Generally cheap shit. With this cable you will get the max picture quality possible. If you consider HDMI options available these are all just component convertors so at best will be the same as this but they won't really. Component is the best you'll get. I'm in PAL land and we can't get cheap component cables here as we never had HD resolutions so we never had the cables, that's the main reason this makes big sense over here. In the states you might pick up official HD packs in thrift stores etc. In PAL land we need to switch our Xboxs to NTSC and enable the HD settings in the MS Dash.

You can use a cheap Chinese cable connector but it is just that, cheap. So up to you, my advice is to use an official AV connector and then you have a fully Microsoft cable.

Cian

Already ordered oficial xbox 360 component to do the soldering, I have those cheap Chinese attached to a component to hdmi converter it just enhances the ghosts and low quality image driven by the cheap cable, also remember running same game on a ps2 system with its oficial component cables it looks a lot better than running on a Xbox which is unbelievable. You're right also own a pal system no HD quality cables on sale anywhere

Cian,

Ordered a second hand Xbox 360 component from Germany for 12 euros these cables are very cheap because if I'm not mistaken only one Xbox 360 motherboard didn't have hdmi out and almost no one needed the cable hence the low price, it has digital opt out for audio but not going to solder the audio, also have a composite cable which I had beheaded, mine had glue on the solders but with a hair dryer I heated the glue and removed all with my fingers. If I'm not mistaken if you don't bridge pins 6 to 18 and 7 to 19, the console won't identify this cable as a component one.

Just don't know which way is easiest the way you chopped the head of the new cable and stripped the cable, or just open the head of the 360 component desolder the ground cables and all others and solder them again in the correct order on the new head.

• 2 months later...

Thanks for the guide Cian.

I've just purchased a 360 component cable, and am hoping to create my own OG Xbox cable this weekend. One potential issue, is that I have the later version of the 360 cable, which was released with the Xbox 360 S. It's the black cable, which doesn't have composite video, and I picked it up for £5 new on Amazon. Does anybody know if the cable is the same on the inside, compared to the original grey one? In some ways, I imagine it may be easier to work with, as it doesn't have the unwanted composite cable.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/17/2019 at 4:51 PM, Prodigy83 said:

Thanks for the guide Cian.

I've just purchased a 360 component cable, and am hoping to create my own OG Xbox cable this weekend. One potential issue, is that I have the later version of the 360 cable, which was released with the Xbox 360 S. It's the black cable, which doesn't have composite video, and I picked it up for £5 new on Amazon. Does anybody know if the cable is the same on the inside, compared to the original grey one? In some ways, I imagine it may be easier to work with, as it doesn't have the unwanted composite cable.

Following on from this, I have now created my own cable, with a lot of help from my dad. We managed to take the 360 connector apart, and de-solder the wires, which made it a lot easier when it came to soldering them onto the OG Xbox connector. The ground wires had heat-shrink around them, so we didn't have to worry about twisting the braids together. I'm amazed at the difference in picture quality, and I paid less for the 360 cable, than I did for a cheap Chinese cable from eBay. I'm definitely glad that I followed this guide, as it made the job much easier, and I now have a lovely official component cable. Thanks again @Cian Cunningham

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Prodigy83 said:

Following on from this, I have now created my own cable, with a lot of help from my dad. We managed to take the 360 connector apart, and de-solder the wires, which made it a lot easier when it came to soldering them onto the OG Xbox connector. The ground wires had heat-shrink around them, so we didn't have to worry about twisting the braids together. I'm amazed at the difference in picture quality, and I paid less for the 360 cable, than I did for a cheap Chinese cable from eBay. I'm definitely glad that I followed this guide, as it made the job much easier, and I now have a lovely official component cable. Thanks again @Cian Cunningham

No problem, best value thing you can do for your Xbox. What you get for the money and some of your time is excellent.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for this detailed guide.

After trying a $7 ebay component cable which to me didn't look all that bad visually, but had lots of static in the audio I bought a xbox360 cable and did the mod using the connector from an old cheap composite cable I had laying around.

The cable works good, but I am still getting static in the audio. It's not nearly as bad and it only happens on certain screens in UnleashX. It is most notable when the screen saver comes on in UleashX and in the system settings menu screen.

No issues in XBMC or when playing games.

Not sure if I did something wrong, or maybe using the connector from the cheapo composite cable is the culprit.or possibly the TV itself (32" philips LCD that I've repaired a couple of times).

thanks

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gorrillasnot said:

Thanks for this detailed guide.

After trying a $7 ebay component cable which to me didn't look all that bad visually, but had lots of static in the audio I bought a xbox360 cable and did the mod using the connector from an old cheap composite cable I had laying around.

The cable works good, but I am still getting static in the audio. It's not nearly as bad and it only happens on certain screens in UnleashX. It is most notable when the screen saver comes on in UleashX and in the system settings menu screen.

No issues in XBMC or when playing games.

Not sure if I did something wrong, or maybe using the connector from the cheapo composite cable is the culprit.or possibly the TV itself (32" philips LCD that I've repaired a couple of times).

thanks

If there is no issues on xbmc or playing games it's not an issue with the cable I'd say. Do some more testing on xbmc, maybe play some different music for example and see can it be recreated. Also maybe try a different UX build in case there is something weird with that one. You'll get the latest build off Rocky5's GitHub if you dig into his softmodding tools extras disc files and look for dashboards. He has patched this version for an FTP issue so you're as well use this anyway. Or just use Xbmc4gamers and ditch the old UX 😉

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I did it! It took me all day! It was quite the odissey! No ONE in my country was selling the component cable for the 360, only cheap knock offs. So what I did was buying through Yapo, which is a type buy and sell site, were you mostly buy locally.

And there I found ONE guy, just one, in the whole country, who had an original component cable for the 360. And just as my OG XBOX, I bought it blindly across the country, with faith, believing he was not going to scam me, no warranties.

You do this, when things are to niche and you simply cannot buy them on Ebay, etc.

Here:

IMG_20190820_010525.thumb.jpg.3ee8188982ec91b70b5ea51f64b85d34.jpg

It wasn't easy, because this was the version of the cable with the filter at the beginning of the cable. It makes it super hard to work, I had to even trim the OG Xbox "neck" plastic a little, so it could give me enough room to work.

Also I don't know if it's the version of the componente cable, but the OG Xbox plastic case hardly slide through, this compnent cable is very thick.

A lot of work, the good thing is that this component cable has the filter, I don't know but is supposed to be better in terms of protecting from noise, etc.

If anyone has this component cable and wants to get some tips, let me know in a PM. It was a pain in the ass.

Cheers to all ;) And thank you Cian! also thanks to Junkman.

Edited by Hector Hidalgo

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I need to make myself one of these, I made the mistake of buying cheap crappy component cables before and I'd never do it again. The cable I use now is an awful looking thing with tape all over it and uses a LAN cable for the video. LAN cables aren't even shielded, so I really should sort it out soon. I don't mind breaking another composite cables since they're easy to come by and I already have an RGB cable if I wanted to use a CRT. Same with breaking component cables from a 360, since they have HDMI since 2007 anyway.