OGXbox.com

High Quality Diy Component Cable

Cian Cunningham

On 7/14/2020 at 9:07 AM, Guffman said:

I made one of these about a month ago for my Xbox, and then threw another one together for my PS2. Thanks for the tutorial, they both work great!

On 5/21/2020 at 4:05 PM, junkman77 said:

The xbox360 cables are straight-up-quality shielded and flexible cables.  I have used them to make OGXBOX, SNES/N64(wRGB Mod) and PS1/2/3 cables.  Console5 has the unpopulated connectors.  The only console I personally have left to build one for is the Genesis.

On 5/21/2020 at 5:01 PM, BigSplodge said:

What did you use as your "donor" AV connector for the PlayStation cable?  I've had one turn up today which in truth actually doesn't look too bad.  However, I'm still determined to crack the connector open and solder the official 360 cables in its place.

I'm not sure how to open this particular plug without demolishing it though - would welcome any tips from your previous efforts!

EDIT: re-read your message and saw "Console5 has the unpopulated connectors" this time haha

Hello, sorry for bumping this topic. I'd like to make a cable for the PS2 , is there a detailed tutorial like this one for that? Or could you guys that already done this give me some advice? Like what AV connector to use , and the pinout schematic for the PS2 ? Thanks in advance.

• 2 months later...

Just made myself a component cable today. Came out good. 👍

0U5zWVR.jpg?1

The diagram on the original post isn't very good, so I took one that feudalnate (from Reddit) made and spruced it up a bit, and also added a correction based on KoasEngineer's feedback.

Also, for anyone wanting to get digital audio, you can use the yellow RCA plug and connect it to your amp's Coaxial input. Enable digital audio in your Xbox settings and boom- 5.1 digital audio.

qKAc44g.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Update- I re-did the diagram. Kekule pointed out that the numbering layout was wrong. The diagram I posted above works, but the way the pins are numbered are not standard. This new one is based on a diagram by Smoke Screen. That one was really small though, so I re-did the entire thing from scratch in photoshop. It's much larger now and much more crisp. It's also more print-friendly now (lighter colors).

Here's the source PSD file if anyone wants it: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1tTx7DJOl9cUFaLV3w_hO61bVtvvhJaMv/view

JPG Mirror: https://i.imgur.com/ZWvcXtN.jpg

Reminder: wiring up the yellow cable to carry digital audio is optional.

AVIP Pinout - DIY Component Cable HiRes.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
8 hours ago, Guilleack said:

What kind of damage could this do to the console if one of the cables gets shorted with ground?

The only pin/wire that would cause a problem would be the pin 1 the 5 volt supply..

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi there, I've made one of these cables and it displays the image and sound, but when I check the Microsoft dashboard it's not detecting it's now a component cable, so I don't have the options to turn on 480p, 720p or 1080i video outputs

How do I trick/tell the xbox it's a component cable now? 

Cheers 

20210318_170137.jpg

14 minutes ago, Mave_rick said:

Hi there, I've made one of these cables and it displays the image and sound, but when I check the Microsoft dashboard it's not detecting it's now a component cable, so I don't have the options to turn on 480p, 720p or 1080i video outputs

How do I trick/tell the xbox it's a component cable now? 

Cheers 

20210318_170137.jpg

I would check again the links that enable the HD (what makes the Xbox detect that you have a HD cable). Also you need to be in NTSC to enable HD resolutions. If you are PAL then you need to be modded and switch the Xbox to NTSC with the enigmah app or NK Patcher advanced settings with Rocky5s extras disc. PAL consoles don't allow HD out of the box. Thats the only 2 things it can be, the links or you are PAL

• Like 1

Just now, Mave_rick said:

Do you know which links makes the Xbox detect an HD cable? Someone said to desolder pin 17 ? 

I have a 1.6A Xbox running a Super Aladdin Live modchip, so I could switch to NTSC, it would still play my PAL disks being modded right ? 

If you look at the diagram again its the 2 links that connect pins to pins. There are only 2 links. Make sure you have those correct or the Xbox won't detect it. If you are PAL then 100% that is the reason.  Always switch to NTSC if you are PAL. It will play PAL discs depending but they will mostly not support 480p or 720p. Some will, a lot won't. You are better to have NTSC rips to be honest. Some PAL discs are fussy and you will actually have to switch back to PAL to play them, or use auto region switching in xbmc4gamers. Even at that some will only play with the PAL region switched. I have a full PAL set of physical discs and have played many. You can switch easily. The enigmah app is probably the easiest 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
On 1/18/2021 at 11:35 AM, GoTeamScotch said:

Update- I re-did the diagram. Kekule pointed out that the numbering layout was wrong. The diagram I posted above works, but the way the pins are numbered are not standard. This new one is based on a diagram by Smoke Screen. That one was really small though, so I re-did the entire thing from scratch in photoshop. It's much larger now and much more crisp. It's also more print-friendly now (lighter colors).

Here's the source PSD file if anyone wants it: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1tTx7DJOl9cUFaLV3w_hO61bVtvvhJaMv/view

JPG Mirror: https://i.imgur.com/ZWvcXtN.jpg

Reminder: wiring up the yellow cable to carry digital audio is optional.

AVIP Pinout - DIY Component Cable HiRes.jpg

So, for wiring yellow cable to carry digital audio I need to use pins 6 & 12?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I just tried my hand at this and wow, what an upgrade. It's incredible to see the Xbox output at 720p.

However, I'm having an issue. Somewhat consistently, a minute or two after turning the Xbox on with this DIY component cable, the Xbox will suddenly reboot on its own, and when it's back on again it's only outputting sound, no video at all. I can hear that it loads into UnleashX fine when using the controller.

Before it reboots, the 720p video output works flawlessly. Turning the Xbox off and on doesn't help. It's almost as if my cable has a mind of its own. It works, until it doesn't, and works again later.

I've checked my connections with a multimeter, and nothing that shouldnt be bridged is bridged. Nothing that shouldn't be grounded is grounded.

My Xbox is a PAL v1.1, with video mode set to NTSC using NKPatcher, softmodded with Rocky5's (quite stellar) softmod installer.

Anyone know what the issue may be?

(BTW: Is audio left/right swapped in the original post? I see other diagrams that put white and red audio on the opposite sides.)

Cheers.

Edited by Ridge
clarification