OGXbox.com

Hey

bot_1

Hi folks!

Just wanted to say hello. my name's bot and recently (re-)discovered my old xbox (v1.2) from back in the days. i purchased it new in 2002-2003 if i remember correctly and it was stored in my basement for almost 13 years now. guess what: i plugged it in after all this time and it still works! 😉

after playing some burnout takedown (one of my all time favorites), i decided to get back to modding my box and restore it to it's former glory! :D my box still has an aladdin advance chip soldered to it (i'm not sure which version exactly), although it is not doing anything when long-pressing the power button besides changing the color of the power button and the bootup xbox-logo turning blue.

steps i already took since rediscovering my v 1.2:

- i desoldered the clock-capacitor, since it was drooling all over my board (lost a tiny resistor to corrosion "R7F8", but the box seems to work fine)

- replaced thermal pastes on both gpu and cpu

- discovered 3 "bad" capacitors (brownish on top and at the verge of bursting) and ordered some replacements.

- ordered a 80mm-fan to replace the stock one (i know some plastic-cutting is going to be necessary)

- ordered a 1tb sata-drive with adapter (to expand lifetime of my dvd drive and backup my games)

- read some basic info about softmodding/tsop/hardmodding and watched some videos on how to do this.

so, yes, this is pretty much it. i discovered this forum and thought this is a good place for a fresh start. 

looking forward to hearing from you!

greetings

bot_1

Welcome bot_1

The missing resistor should not cause any problem unless you decide to put a clock cap back in.

I my experience the OEM fan works just as good as a lot of the replacement fans I set the fan speed to 30% and have not had any over heating problems and it's hardly noticeable noise wise) the Air con is louder any way) even at 40% it's still quiet.

If you haven't all ready redone the BIOS you are going to need a bios that has the LBA48 set to allow large hard drive size's.

SS Dave

Those that can Hard-Mod. Those that can't Soft-Mod.

hi dave!

thanks for the welcome and for your tips!

yeah, i was thinking about restoring the original fan by giving it a good cleaning, but somehow i'm pretty sure the bearings in it have seen better days. it rattles unusually loud and i'm confident that it's going to be more quiet when replaced. and since i love tinkering (confident pc-builder and hobby-tinkerer) i bought a bequiet! pure wings 80mm fan to replace it with. 🙂 

Modchip-Flash:

so, today i managed to reflash my aladdin advanced with the hexen2018-disc and voilà, everything working fine so far (i flashed it with the m8 E+F-option, since i'm going to upgrade the hdd soon). the modchip can be turned on or off when turning on the xbox (this was meant for ban-less xbox live-usage back in the days. short-press: chip is off, long-press: chip is on). i'm going to keep it that way, although there's no use for it to be turned off since the live-servers have been down for years. ah, anyways, if i'm feeling like it, im going to resolder and have it turn on permanently...

PAL-NTSC-switch:

i switched my eeprom from PAL to NTSC to make use of my pound HDMI-converter, and it looks like it works fine now (since you probably know, PAL xboxes are soft-locked and can only output 480p, whilst NTSC have the options of 480p, 720p, 1080i). what wasn't clear on my side is if i could still use my PAL-games after i turned my box into ntsc. but i tried some games (burnout, amped, halo) and they do work fine.

FTP-Test:

i FTP'ed into my xbox. it is working flawlessly.

next steps planned: 

- replace fan and bad caps (still waiting on the parts to arrive tough)

- switch hdd (also still waiting on the new hdd)

- install xbmc or something similar to  build a library of my games and emulators for other consoles...

- getting rid of either evox or unleash x (i just want to use one of the two. any suggestions?). and how would i go about deleting on of the two? simply delete its folder via ftp?

greetings again!

bot_1

Hi bot_1

The main thing with fans for the Xbox is high flow as apposed to quiet then you can adjust the speed to maintain the CPU temp, And make sure that it's sucking the air out.

If you have built PC's you can understand the heat sink paste should be replaced on the CPU and GPU, It looks like every one has there own type of paste and that's up to you.

I have got 1 Xbox that I have used the liquid metal foil with good results, And a Xbox that's got a 1.4 GHz CPU that has the heat sink glued on.

With the mod chip you could flash the on board BIOS with a different BIOS and then when you boot the chip disabled it will boot the on board bios and with the chip on is uses the mod chip bios.

Or you could flash the on board BIOS and use the chip in a different Xbox.

I you want the chip always on remove the wire from the BT and front panel and link BT to ground.

When you put the new drive in use a install DVD to set it up you can even try setting up the drive you have now to get a feel for tiring different dash boards.

Have a look at XBMC4Gamers as a dash

Cheers

SS Dave

hi dave!

thanks again for your answers!

1 hour ago, SS_Dave said:

If you have built PC's you can understand the heat sink paste should be replaced on the CPU and GPU, It looks like every one has there own type of paste and that's up to you.

yes, replacing this paste is key to a cool system. i regularly replace it in several pc's and it's one of the main reasons people bring their laptops to me for repair (loud fan noise). replacing the paste solves about 80% of all heat-/noise-related issues of all laptops. ;P

i was really surprised by the thermal paste MS used originally. especially the gpu-one! it was sticky as hell, almost like chewing gum! groooose! i had to scrub my gpu like crazy with isoprop-alcohol to get it off. i replaced it with prolimatech pk-3 i had laying around. temps are in the 40s to low 50s, which is fine considering, theres really not much air moving inside the case eith that little fan...

I have got 1 Xbox that I have used the liquid metal foil with good results, And a Xbox that's got a 1.4 GHz CPU that has the heat sink glued on.

ooh wow, so you're the guy with the 1.4 ghz-upgrade? i've heard about you on different forums before. :D how are the temps doing on such a beefy upgrade? have you added any fans or upgraded the heatsink? or is it all stock? 

I you want the chip always on remove the wire from the BT and front panel and link BT to ground.

thanks for this tip! i will do so the next time i have my xbox disassembled (probably when the hdd and adapter arrive).

When you put the new drive in use a install DVD to set it up you can even try setting up the drive you have now to get a feel for tiring different dash boards.

does the hexen-disc provide the tools to set up a new hdd? or do i have to download more tools?

again, thanks so much for answering my questions. it is cool to see, that the scene is still alive after all these years!

greetings 

bot_1

8 hours ago, bot_1 said:

i was really surprised by the thermal paste MS used originally. especially the gpu-one! it was sticky as hell, almost like chewing gum! groooose! i had to scrub my gpu like crazy with isoprop-alcohol to get it off. i replaced it with prolimatech pk-3 i had laying around. temps are in the 40s to low 50s, which is fine considering, theres really not much air moving inside the case eith that little fan...

I googled the brand of paste you used and love the selling blurb

53803074_heatsinkpaste.PNG.76b9379664da72aa4742f7e90b23c59b.PNG

I have used Wax and Grease remover to clean the old paste off the a clean with isoprop-alcohol.

8 hours ago, bot_1 said:

ooh wow, so you're the guy with the 1.4 ghz-upgrade? i've heard about you on different forums before. :D how are the temps doing on such a beefy upgrade? have you added any fans or upgraded the heatsink? or is it all stock?

It was built by N64 Freak and it will be used in a standup arcade system one day. The board has the 1.4Ghz with 128 meg ram, And the heat-sink is glued on with arctic silver thermal adhesive.

With the testing I have done I have the stock fan running 40% and get around low to mid 50 deg c.

That's the heat sink on the 1.4Ghz and excuse the dirty fan.

IMG_20191205_191218.thumb.jpg.1a6e0f7dda2c7bfe891d7b4f909f1d46.jpg

9 hours ago, bot_1 said:

does the hexen-disc provide the tools to set up a new hdd? or do i have to download more tools?

I will probably get shot down in flames for saying that I use Slayers install disk's but I have tried the Hexen even one day I put a SSD drive in a Xbox had tried using the Hexen disk for a full install and adding apps and it reminded me of a MS Windoze software. ie use will use my apps or else type attitude. and the crap it leaves on the drive

I you want a copy of slayers let me know.

And last but not least this is how I do the Aladdin  chip

346576102_AladdinBT.thumb.jpg.2ec8f46141ec2362ee61a3cd962c87ea.jpg

Cheers

SS Dave

On 12/11/2019 at 9:40 PM, SS_Dave said:

With the testing I have done I have the stock fan running 40% and get around low to mid 50 deg c.

That's the heat sink on the 1.4Ghz and excuse the dirty fan.

wow, looks nice! and the temps are totally fine i think. 

i have seen a video about the 1.4 ghz-mod. isn't it that some games will run too fast or not at all, because the timings of the processor are off? anyways, what games are you planning to run on it in the arcade? and are you going to build a classic arcade (with the whole box, screen on top, etc.)? sounds exciting to me!

On 12/11/2019 at 9:40 PM, SS_Dave said:

I will probably get shot down in flames for saying that I use Slayers install disk's but I have tried the Hexen even one day I put a SSD drive in a Xbox had tried using the Hexen disk for a full install and adding apps and it reminded me of a MS Windoze software. ie use will use my apps or else type attitude. and the crap it leaves on the drive

I you want a copy of slayers let me know.

never used slayers disc (shame on me), soo, sure, i would like to give it a try. :)

oh, and thanks for the tipp with the aladdin-chip. i will try this as soon as all the other stuff arrives (new hdd, adapter, caps, fan). 

greetings

bot_1

I plan on it been a classic stand up style (Frogger ,Space invader, 1942 etc etc) the old school games with maybe  with some sort of video jukebox app as well.

I always link the BT to ground  as there is no need to boot the MS bios any more  with the close of Xbox Live and by not needing the MS bios you don't need to lock the drive.

The only time I fit a mod chip in the 1.0 to 1.4 is for testing and then when I have finished I reflash the TSOP chip, If it's a version 1.6 then the chip stays fitted

People rubbish the slayer install disk and say you should only use  Hexen be cause it's the latest but if it is not broken then don't fix it Shite even a lot ATM's are still using a MS XP verant

And I think slayers has a cleaner install, less crap on the drive.

The Slayer 2.7 was the last release from slayer that's this one

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/2p4bnav95qpm1qs/AAAKTXUl87GWcZioF8w5Z3qia?dl=0

The password is in the read me.

There was an update made by a 3rd party  that is called 3.3.0

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/vte7tmx2qo5rx2v/AAABsxE8WgGjn_Q1TvZI9755a?dl=0

Set the write speed as slow as possible and I use verbatim DVD -r with good results.

Cheers

SS Dave

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Dave

i hope you had some pleasant holidays (if you had, that is)?

Sorry I did not answer the last time we talked. I was pretty busy with school. doing a second education besides working and family can be quite time-consuming, i tell you that! 😉 . So, the finals for this semester are over and i have been able to work on my xbox again. 

I replaced the 3 capacitors mentioned earlier and the new ones are working fine.

secondly, i replaced the stock fan for an 80mm bequiet one, as the stock was definitely too loud and the bearings sounded pretty "crunchy"... there was a bit of casemodding necessary, but the new fan fits now and is pleasantly quiet. i tested everything and the box works just fine. the temps are okay, fan noise is gone and evox is running great, if the modchip is enabled (long-press while start).

thanks very much for the slayer-disc, i will give it a try later on! 

soo, to my next steps:

unfortunately, i'm still waiting on my sata to ide-adapter, everything else (hdd, 80wire-cable, fan, caps, etc.) has arrived. 

upgrading my hdd and feeding some roms to it would be the next thing to do, but as I mentioned, gotta wait on the adapter to arrive. :/

there's still a question concerning my mod-chip: i'm still trying to figure out, how to enable the always-on-function. i took a look at my chip and compared it to your image and it seems i've got a different, very old version of the aladdin-chip . I remember soldering this thing in together with my dad, when i was 14, 15 years old... so, my version of the aladdin is not quite the same as the ones you can buy now, with pin-header-adapter and stuff. a quick google search led to nothing, as there are only instructions for the newer chips available. long story short: i don't know how exactly i would "short" my chip and i don't want to f* it up... i'm just too scared that something could go wrong (frying my chip, or even worse: my box)

i've attached a photo of my chip, maybe you know what to do here? 🙂

greetings

bot_1

20200108_145529_HDR.jpg

Hey, me again.

So i managed to get my chip up and running permanently now by soldering D0 to ground...

Everything works fine now. 🙂

as i'm still waiting on my sata-adapter, i even soldered a few green led's to my controllerports and exchanged the eject-button-leds to blue/white.

it looks fantastic and i really enjoy getting back into modding/soldering etc. 

In the meantime, i acquired another xbox (v1.0 us-model) to mod and gift to my best friend for his birthday...

It'll take some time to get that thing up an running but i'm confident it'll be done in time. 

What have you been up to?

Greetings

Bot_1

Hi Bot_1

I took 4 weeks holidays in July 2019 and have not been back so it's been relaxing for me.

So with your mod chip I would remove the Orange from L1and the Red from L2 and the Yellow from the BT point then add a link from BT to Pin 2.

1368834410_Bot1aladdin.thumb.jpg.ba19c5ebd1639cf8bee0c2afbaeca555.jpg

You can leave the D0 connected to ground.

The LED mods are some thing I have yet to do much with the only one I have done with LED's is to replace the eject ring for a blue only setup

496616655_Xbox3.thumb.jpg.402eed92fdb0cd5fb3a6ab543dee8e21.jpg

This one is  for a 7 year old .

As  for the Aladdin mod chip I have 3 different styles it's the most cloned mod chip .

IMG_20191203_205448.thumb.jpg.0eda43bb2153c9fc798f40b916e577a4.jpg

The one on the right was pulled from a non working box and the problem was crap soldering to the board had damaged the traces on the chip that's why the links to see if it still worked and it is working.

The middle one is a new one straight from china the I added the link for enable and the red wire is for the led switching via the 3.3 volt power in a version 1.6.There is a cut trace under the wire to disconnect the 5 volt supply.

With the version 1.0 you can flash the BIOS reasonably easily to save on the cost of a mod chip or fit a Aladdin chip to it as well.

I would flash it as the only chips I fit are in Version 1.6's

Cheers

Dave

hi dave!

thanks again for your reply!

wow, your xbox really looks great! this just gave me some inspiration to paint the one i'm going to gift to a friend in the same color-scheme. i love the white/blue-combo!

8 hours ago, SS_Dave said:

So with your mod chip I would remove the Orange from L1and the Red from L2 and the Yellow from the BT point then add a link from BT to Pin 2.

oooh, i see now what you mean by bridging the bt-point! so, i'm going to give this a go for sure... although, i'm considering a tsop-flash as you recommended, since i'm not planning on reverting this box back to stock anytime soon (that's my personal box), and the modchip is indeed not needed for modding an v1.2 .

in the meantime, many things happened:

- my v1.2 runs great so far. i have to pick up a copy of splintercell or else to softmod and later on tsop this console. then i can remove the modchip and set it aside for a v1.6-model, if i ever happen to have one. would this be the right procedure? remove modchip --> softmod --> tsop? or is there a way to flash the original ms-bios directly with the modchip inside? sorry for asking, i'm not really a pro when it comes to these things (that's why i bought the modchip back in the days). 😉  i was trying to find a clear answer to this earlier on and in my experience information on this is hard to find and there are different opinions around. 

- my v1.0 us-console just "died". not really, though. i'm assuming it's not the console but my step-down-converter (stupid thing)... the xbox is drawing waaay more wattage (up to 100w if i'm right), than the converter can handle (45W), so my best guess is, that the converter just gave up after a couple of minutes... but this leaves me in a situation where i'm not able to continue to work on it, since i don't have a power-source...

- another xbox arrived (yay! surprise!): i managed to get my hands on what looks like another v1.0... it runs okay, but it's very dusty and sure needs some love... i'm starting to work on it tomorrow and will hopefully be able to give it a good clean, replace thermalpaste, replace the fan, and if i still got spare time, mod some leds in it... if i don't manage to get the us-console up and running soon, i'll gift this (the new one) as the birthday-gift for my friend...

- still waiting on these stupid sata-ide-adapters... 

- stumbled across the "XBox Origins 2TB image"... i'm curious if you have heard of it. i don't even get what it is... is this some sort of pre-packaged iso with emulators and roms and original xbox roms already loaded? or do i get something wrong? so, this would mean copy and paste to hdd, and good to go, or not? well, depending if you need/want all the stuff that's in there i guess... what's your opinion on this?

greetings

bot_1

15 hours ago, bot_1 said:

- stumbled across the "XBox Origins 2TB image"... i'm curious if you have heard of it. i don't even get what it is... is this some sort of pre-packaged iso with emulators and roms and original xbox roms already loaded? or do i get something wrong? so, this would mean copy and paste to hdd, and good to go, or not? well, depending if you need/want all the stuff that's in there i guess... what's your opinion on this?

It's a hard drive image to restore back to a 2TB hard drive.  HDDGuru's HDD Raw Copy Tool, a Windows application, is used to write the .imgc (compressed image) back to a hard drive.  It will overwrite everything on the drive so best to have a new clean/empty drive to restore to.

Origins is an XBMC skin - preview video

hey kaosengineer

oh i see. this looks like a pretty interesting idea, although the size of that image is huge! couldn't even download it if i want to, since my desktop doesn't have 2tb left of free space. :D

well, maybe in the future there will be time to try it out...

in the meantime i'm sticking to refurbishing my old boxes. i have been hard at work giving 2 of my xboxes (v1.0 and v1.2) a makeover. check it out...

the parts are not all finished painting (going to do the rest today...) all parts have been washed, sanded and coated (1 layer plastic primer, 2-3 layers paint)... so far, i'm very happy with the result. 

a picture of daves xbox (white/blue) inspired me to do almost the same, since i thought it looks really cool. 20200116_164553_HDR.thumb.jpg.b7deed0a9e85dcb576d3b16653857322.jpg

what do you think?

greetings

bot_1

20200116_164603_HDR.jpg