OGXbox.com

Moving From Softmod To Modchip

xboxkid

5 hours ago, archfranck said:

Dave your opinion .. I'm taking several original xboxes and all of them are truly original without the screws ever being unscrewed .. I always do the soft mod because at least the xbox can be exploited and I always put a bigger hard disk 200 -250 GB.
Am I wrong? should I leave them original ..?
I always keep the original hard drive in case the new hard drive fails.
and in any case I can always bring it original by removing the softmod, but I repeat only the original one is of little use ...
what do you think about it?
Hello

As the age of the consoles is getting on the capacitors are all starting to fail with the Clock cap been the 1st.

The electrolyte in the capacitor is leaking and is corrosive that is what is now damaging the traces in the board. The version 1.0-1.5 are the most problematic for the clock cap failure.

All the versions are also stating to suffer from the main filter cap's failing and can cause problems from intermittent flickering on the screen to failing to power on.

In my many years (45+)of fixing electronics the most common natural failure (not damage by abuse or incorrect fitting etc etc)  is the cap's probably because the manufacture had the choice of 5 cents each for a cap's with a life expectancy of 100,000hrs versus 7 cents for a 500,000hrs.

So now your have some information to make your own decision .

This is the clock Cap in versions 1.0-1.5 it can be removed without any problems other than the Xbox will reset the time and date the moment the power is removed.

IMG_20200123_073256.thumb.jpg.b9b5f8b1d1c1acfcadca02af8222f06b.jpg

This is a version 1.6 cap this one is less prone to failure but some people are now reporting failures.

With a version 1.6 the Xbox will not boot if he cap is removed so if there is a evidence of leakage it has to be replaced.

IMG_20200123_080515.thumb.jpg.c266e5644289e79c8a3ec9c7b86aa660.jpg

Main power filter Caps that have failed and need to be replaced. If they are not replaced ASAP and you continue to use it the cap's could explode.

IMG_20200123_073317.thumb.jpg.e1db3647579399e28577d7a0825c64df.jpg

The caps in this pic are generally more reliable but I have seen them fail as well .

IMG_20200123_074205.thumb.jpg.cca4913ed3869595c5878de81b9da91c.jpg

So have I scared you enough to open the Xbox and look at the cap's unless like some(and me) that have units that have never been used and still in the unopened box I would open and check the cap's.

As for the original hard drive I have seen a few of them fail as well so fitting a new hard drive is not a bad thing and if someone is a collector they will more than likely find a unit that's totally untouched or New In Box. Keeping the original hard drive is up to you but as long as the EEprom has been Nulled (HDD key set to all zero's) then probably get rid if them or unlock them and use in some other device.  2 years ago I sent 100's for Xbox hard drive's to scrap metal.

Cheers

SS Dave

Those that can Hard-Mod. Those that can't Soft-Mod.

• Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ok Dave..also i am old .. ehehe 53 years ... i knew about the clock capacitor problem on versions 1.0-1.5 .. but since i don't use them but i am keeping them in the garage after doing the mod, i thought there need to be removed, but now slowly in all my xbox 1.0-1.5 I will remove them. Thanks for the information, but you could not be satisfied with other new ones .. basically just solder 2 contacts ... thanks again then I open it and in any case I make the modification and remove the condenser ... I am not very good in salting but these are easy .. I find it difficult to carry out the hardware mod, as it is micro-soldering and it takes suitable wire, suitable tin and a good soldering iron, once I tried and I did damage ...., thanks Dave ...

• 2 weeks later...

hi dave i took an xbox cristal and i have a problem with the ejection of the dvd cart. Normally I change the belt and put some weight on the parts that slide, but the trolley still jams, I hear the opening noise, but sometimes it comes out but often gets stuck. the dvd player is a samsung and I have seen that if I lift the player's upper protection a little, then the trolley always goes out without problems. Do you have any suggestions where to intervene. thanks and bye.....newwsss  resolve 

I put 2 rubber bands... now OKKKKKK
Edited by archfranck
resolve

Dave this time I messed up .. I took an original xbox, I was proceeding for the soft mod, I insert the DVD splinter cell .
everything ok starts the soft mod procedure ..
 I backup eprom and move it to E, then I go to do ms backup, but it told me that a softmod already existed and in any case it gave me an error with the final writing (rename) ...
I uninstalled the soft mod and I did restore backup ... in short, now it gives me an error at startup and the DVD does not start ..
 because from there I could copy the backup of the eprom which is in E.
I know you can rebuild the hard disk by having eprom, but now the spinter cell dvd does not start anymore and I immediately get the error with the green writing error 16 .... HELP eheheeh
Edited by archfranck
correction

Hi archfrank

What error is displayed in the TV?

Did you save a copy of the EEprom from the Xbox to a computer at any stage? if not a eprom reader will be needed to get the HDD key.

It's sounding like the drive is unlocked if it won't read the splinter cell disk and if that's correct then the easy way is to fit a mod-chip then you can boot a Install DVD and relock the drive fix the softmod and then remove the mod-chip,  or leave the mod-chip in the Xbox.

SS Dave

I have done damage by deleting something in C for which it gives me that error at the start. had saved eprom but in the apartizione D of the xbox that however does not start so I think I have 2 ways or take out the eprom and put aladin chip. I have never put aladin chips .. I have only tried 1 time and with the soldering iron I have done damage .. too many solders in very small points ... now maybe I am better I could use the flux and I am more expert ... I would try to extract the eprom .. i have the necessary hardware with the soft and a video i can try..and then rebuild the original hard disk of the xbox

IMG_20200210_165259[1].jpg

ok now i have read eprom.. and save in eprom.bin.. yessssss  now see need customize cd and other .. umm very difficult toonight sleep and tomorrow see istruction for preparing a new HDD for your Xbox console..if you help me.. iss good ehehe.. if is easy reconfigure hard disk whit eeprom .. possible try for another hold xbox repair hard disk.. now that i know how to do i also read the eeprom of that xbox where i had tried to put the modchip without success ..very easy read eprom from motherboard.. eheheh

Edited by archfranck

I am going to say that's error 16

Service Error 16:
Info: Other files related with the dashboard or dashboard settings (specific dashboard error).

Error 16 means your xbox cannot find the menu setting with which you can set the clock of the hdd. 
This happens to a lot of people that erase their hdd (original/upgraded) or MS dashboard files and after that they don't immediately install the hdd but leave the xbox without power longer than 5 hours.
Solution: You may have corrupted dashboard files on your xbox hdd. Use the 'HQ Auto Installer Deluxe' to reinstall your dashboard.

I would fit a mod chip and run an install disk and replace the missing files or you could look in to possibility of using  XboxHDM to replace the missing files.

Cheers

SS Dave

Dave the console only accepts original DVDs and in any case no longer starts with the DVD splinter cell with which I could insert files..the green screen appears with error 16 immediately .. I was able to copy the eeprom from the motherboard and now I have to reconstruct the hard drive I think.
I have an aladin chip at home but I am afraid of too difficult soldering and I prefer to unlock the hardisk to put the right files back and relock it.
I have read some tutorials and I believe it is done with XboxHDM.
I cannot use HQ Auto Installer Deluxe as it does not accept non-original DVDs and as I said before as soon as I turned it off, the DVD no longer starts as a boot but the green screen with error 16 appears immediately.
I would like to learn how to install the hard mod but for now I prefer to rebuild the hard disk. (This Xbox is 1.0).
I have a tutorial to rebuild the files on the harddisk by inserting eprom, but if you have another simpler procedure, thank you

26 minutes ago, archfranck said:

Dave the console only accepts original DVDs and in any case no longer starts with the DVD splinter cell with which I could insert files..the green screen appears with error 16 immediately .. I was able to copy the eeprom from the motherboard and now I have to reconstruct the hard drive I think.
I have an aladin chip at home but I am afraid of too difficult soldering and I prefer to unlock the hardisk to put the right files back and relock it.
I have read some tutorials and I believe it is done with XboxHDM.
I would like to learn how to install the hard mod but for now I prefer to rebuild the hard disk. (This Xbox is 1.0).
I have a tutorial to rebuild the files on the harddisk by inserting eprom, but if you have another simpler procedure, thank you

The method of using XboxHDM would properly do the job for you and I can't help as I have never done it that way.

I don't SoftMod. I got ask once(15 years ago) to do softmod and I refused then 2 weeks later the same person is back with a Xbox in the same state as yours. At least with a modchip or TSOP flash the dvd can still be used to recover in the event of the wrong files been deleted.

From the quick read you need the HDD key from the EEprom file. If you use a program called LiveInfo it will show you the contents in plain english of the eeprom.bin file.

Cheers

SS Dave

Been a version 1.0 once you have it running from a softmod you can reflash the TSOP chip with 2 simple links that can be done with conductive paint pen to enable  writing to he TSOP

ok dave i try to restore it ... however as soon as you have time you have to explain me how to make a mod chip with aladin xt, depending on the motherboard version .. 1.0-1.5 or 1.6 ... the easiest method with the least soldering possible .. hehehio now I buy myself a  mini welder and a good flux paste ... and then calmly to the first original xbox help me ??

Edited by archfranck

ok everything done I restored the original xbox hard disk with error 16 .. very easy..i extracted eprom from the motherboard and then copied to the dvd xboxhd mastered unlocked hard disk under linux then rebuilt partition C relocked hard disk and then with slayer set soft mod and start from my favorite xbmc dashboard .. i am happy with this experience .. thanks dave for the support

21 minutes ago, archfranck said:

ok everything done I restored the original xbox hard disk with error 16 .. very easy..i extracted eprom from the motherboard and then copied to the dvd xboxhd mastered unlocked hard disk under linux then rebuilt partition C relocked hard disk and then with slayer set soft mod and start from my favorite xbmc dashboard .. i am happy with this experience .. thanks dave for the support

I read that you now have it working?

Cheers

SS Dave

Yes of course it works .. I put xbmc as a dashboard and I also cloned hard disk with a bigger one 200 gb.
I of all my xboxes have the original hard disk that I keep aside in case of problems and then I mount a clone with 150-200-500- and 2 2 tb hard drives.
so that if the hard disk is corrupted I always have the original from where I can clone ..
Also I also have a copy of the eprom so I can always remake a hard disk with that eprom.
now I have learned to remake corrupt hard disk by having the eeprom.

now I want to try to recover an xbox where I had tried to make the hard ware modification with the aladin chip, as the original hard disk was corrupt, but I think I have damaged some tracks.
I want to recover the hard disk I have already extracted eprom let's see if it starts and then I try to resolder the interrupted track

1 hour ago, archfranck said:

now I want to try to recover an xbox where I had tried to make the hard ware modification with the aladin chip, as the original hard disk was corrupt, but I think I have damaged some tracks.
I want to recover the hard disk I have already extracted eprom let's see if it starts and then I try to resolder the interrupted track

You would be best to post a pic of the damage 1st then I or other's can advise you the best way to  go about fixing it.

Cheers

SS Dave

That's good news that you got the hard drive working and you would be surprised what can be fixed and I have seen some electronic boards in my 45+ years as repair tech that I should not have fixed but it was a challenge to fix them.

Cheers

SS Dave

There is another way of coming back from an error 16.

Just bought one a weak ago with the error. 

I installed a harddisk in a tsop Xbox and installed it from there and locked it. 

Read out the eeprom from that Xbox and used the hdd key from that file to flash to the other Xbox. 

Works like a charm now. 

Hi Dave, I rebuilt the hard drive of that Xbox but now it doesn't even start, as soon as I push the power button it lights up 2 sec it goes out it lights up again .. I don't know, but then we'll talk about it again I'll send you a video, to now I wanted to solve 2 more problems.

1- I wanted to mount a 2 tb hard disk on an xbox with modchip and I wanted to avoid copying everything via ftp. Can I make a raw copy, a clone of another hard disk that I have mounted on another xbox and how? with which soft and procedure? sure before I have to change bios if necessary to make accept large partitions and then proceed to copy?

Edited by archfranck

second problem. I have an xbox with modchip with xbmc installed at startup, which however starts as a boot from the Q partition. Usually it was in E under App and soft or Dashboard, I overwrote the new version of xbmc and everything was updated. But on Q I can't log in from ftp. On E there is the xbmc folder, but the boot does it from Q. How can I update? Is there a configuration file that points the boot to E and not Q? Thank you

IMG_20200220_182516[1].jpg

IMG_20200220_182538[1].jpg

IMG_20200220_182605[1].jpg

Edited by archfranck

2 hours ago, archfranck said:

Hi Dave, I rebuilt the hard drive of that Xbox but now it doesn't even start, as soon as I push the power button it lights up 2 sec it goes out it lights up again .. I don't know, but then we'll talk about it again I'll send you a video, to now I wanted to solve 2 more problems.

1- I wanted to mount a 2 tb hard disk on an xbox with modchip and I wanted to avoid copying everything via ftp. Can I make a raw copy, a clone of another hard disk that I have mounted on another xbox and how? with which soft and procedure? sure before I have to change bios if necessary to make accept large partitions and then proceed to copy?

You can clone the drive from a different Xbox and when you install to the modded Xbox.

Then run your install disk and remove the softmod from the new hard drive, then your new Xbox with the cloned drive should be fine

Plus there is no need to lock the hard drive in the TSOP flashed/Modchip xbox.

Cheers

SS Dave

2 hours ago, archfranck said:

second problem. I have an xbox with modchip with xbmc installed at startup, which however starts as a boot from the Q partition. Usually it was in E under App and soft or Dashboard, I overwrote the new version of xbmc and everything was updated. But on Q I can't log in from ftp. On E there is the xbmc folder, but the boot does it from Q. How can I update? Is there a configuration file that points the boot to E and not Q? Thank you

Q drive is a temporary drive created by XBMC that it uses to operate.

Cheers

SS Dave

I'm confused... I already have an xbox (1) with chipmod and a 2 TB hard disk. Then I have another xbox (2) always with chipmod and I have to put in a new 2Tb hard disk and I don't want to copy all the games with ftp. Can I clone the new hard drive with Chimp from the xbox (1) and then put it on the Xbox (2)?

or do I make a clone copy externally of the 2 hard drives under linux and under windows?

Edited by archfranck