OGXbox.com

Moving From Softmod To Modchip

xboxkid

So I have a v1.6 softmodded system currently. Do I need to uninstall my softmod if I want to install an Aladdin XT chip? I want to upgrade my system to a 2TB SATA drive. I'm convinced this would be safer for the Xbox's longevity. After I get the Aladdin installed, can I just swap to the 2TB drive, and use Hexen to format the drive as a fresh system? 

• Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi xboxkid

If you planing on reusing the current drive you will need to remove the soft mod for it to work with the mod-chip as the hard mod and the soft mod won't work together.

Once you have the mod-chip fitted and working you can use your install disk to remove the soft mod and while your at it unlock the drive as well.

Fitting the 2tb drive is not to hard just use a good quality IDE to SATA adapter and a 80 way cable then boot your install disk to set up the new drive.

SS Dave

Those that can Hard-Mod. Those that can't Soft-Mod.

• 5 weeks later...
Hi I have a problem..I am quite practical of mod xbox especially softmod.
I bought an xbox on the internet .. I thought it was original even though I noticed that the screws and seals were detached and actually started in the original mode.
I carried out the softmod procedure and for the first time after having selected linux for the exploit, it did not start the dashboard for the mod.
I disassembled the motherboard and I saw that I had a chipmod, but I don't know which type..but I don't believe that the console only reads original DVDs and not copies.
I send you the photos .. do you have any suggestion on how to start the chipmod or cut all the wires and remove the base with the chip and remake the softmod?

1.jpg

2.jpg

Hi I have a problem..I am quite practical of mod xbox especially softmod.
I bought an xbox on the internet .. I thought it was original even though I noticed that the screws and seals were detached and actually started in the original mode.
I carried out the softmod procedure and for the first time after having selected linux for the exploit, it did not start the dashboard for the mod.
I disassembled the motherboard and I saw that I had a chipmod, but I don't know which type..but I don't believe that the console only reads original DVDs and not copies.
I send you the photos .. do you have any suggestion on how to start the chipmod or cut all the wires and remove the base with the chip and remake the softmod?

I did a test I disconnected the chip from the base in order to exclude it and as I thought the soft mod starts quietly.
I didn't do it because I thought I could recover the chipmod maybe I'm wrong and the chip works, but it's me who can't start it ..
In the end I can always put the soft mod excluding the chip, but if someone has any advice or do some tests to make the chipe work 
then use the mod chip would be the maximum. checked the files in C and E and it seems to me that they are already modified I don't know if for mod chip and soft.
HELP!!!

21 minutes ago, archfranck said:

I did a test I disconnected the chip from the base in order to exclude it and as I thought the soft mod starts quietly.
I didn't do it because I thought I could recover the chipmod maybe I'm wrong and the chip works, but it's me who can't start it ..
In the end I can always put the soft mod excluding the chip, but if someone has any advice or do some tests to make the chipe work 
then use the mod chip would be the maximum. checked the files in C and E and it seems to me that they are already modified I don't know if for mod chip and soft.
HELP!!!

Please post a pic of the other side of the mod chip.

I would wire the mod chip to be active all the time and then use a install disk to rebuild the hard drive

Cheers

SS Dave

ok .... but I believe that the chipmod does not work, in fact when I insert it I always work as if it were original, the copies of the DVDs do not read them and always start in the original mode ...

But the chipmod connections and soldering seem right.
I would prefer to use the chipmod ...

Not have space for all images .. i dontk know for delete...

https://mega.nz/#!0R4XHYqZ!lqKS2NosgGM2OshCG2P1vUjU8ER4TKQ4k_7pnPtAThs

https://mega.nz/#!IVgzmQJK!D0kQTOv5Gam_kdLWA6swTKaerioDDDIAaAIRqJ1L0ho

excuse me...

Hi archfranck.

That mod chip as a Aladdin variant and if it was me I would wire the chip to be active all the time as you don't need to boot to the MS BIOS any more as that feature was to allow for Xbox Live.

You could try booting by pressing the Eject button or some times it's long press(3-5seconds) of the power button to activate the mod chip 1st then when your have worked it out change the chip to always active.

If you want the chip always on you can remove the wire from the point marked BT and then link the BT point to GND and the wire on the point marked L1 is not needed as well.

Make sure that the wire the D0 point stays.

Now the mod chip will over ride the onboard BIOS and you can boot a install DVD.

Also with a mod  chip you don't need to lock the hard drive any more and I never lock them any way so if I want to swap drives between box's it's no hassle.

IMG_20200104_083304.thumb.jpg.7670dacf7d60835d01a80f5d08a7a826.jpg

As for not been able to post any more pic's or delete them you have limited space as a free member. If you look in the store you can get a membership for as little as $5.00 about the same as a cup of coffee then you get more privileges and space.

Let me know how you get on.

Cheers

SS Dave

Aladdin modchips require a long power button press (greater than 1 second) to enable the modchip when installed using the BT wire connected to the power button signal.

A short tap to power on the console will boot the console with the modchip disabled - uses the stock BIOS on the motherboard, not the modchip's.

ok tancks for all ..now proceded for pay 5 euro no problem .. you very professional, and help my in more situation ..

i have try press for more 2-3-4 sec but star t in same mode original e not see copy of dvd

ok afternoon try  and speack you... tanksssssssssssss

Ok payed now

Edited by archfranck

then I tried everything.
long press both power button and eject button.
short press double press.
Nothing always starts in original mode and does not read the copy DVDs to install the modified dashboard.
What do I do?
Could I try to ground the wire that starts from BT and remove the L1 wire to see if it starts automatically?
Am I afraid it's the bad chip?
as soon as I remove it completely it starts the soft mod, but I preferred the chip mod if it is possible.

but should I take the ground from the base of the chip, or can I take it from any ground on the motherboard for example on a fixing screw of the motherboard?
thank you
Edited by archfranck

sometimes it starts .. sometimes no video signal ... I sprayed conductive spray .. it then started again black screen as soon as I launch a program .. I had already installed the new dashboard ..
 and then it doesn't start anymore .. I reinforced the welding ... I'm thinking of putting softmod ... azzz

What conductive spray? Where?  

Not on the motherboard, I hope!

Aladdin Always-On Mode

BT is the signal that should be tied to ground. @SS_Dave previously posted a picture in this thread showing that connection.  Remove the wire currently going to the front of the motherboard that picks up the power button status --- ground = pressed, Vcc (+3.3Vdc or +5Vdc don't remember which exactly, most likely the later) = not pressed.

Optional Indicator Connections

L1 is an output signal from the modchip used to flash the eject ring LED to indicate either write protection disabled (5+ second power button press) or hard drive activity on some Aladdin's with another wire connected from HD or HO on some versions of the Aladdin to pin 39, I believe, of the IDE connector on the bottom side of the motherboard.

See: https://i.imgur.com/VcqfaTB.jpg

yes yes I tried all the connections .. 
the spray I use is isopropyl alcohol and it works well so I recovered a commodore 64 and also an xbox that gave me problems ..
 however it seems that I have solved, in practice I tried to uninstall soft mod .. 
I think there was some soft mod installed, in short, after uninstalling soft mod, the aladin chip did not give me more problems, I installed games and everything is ok.
The only thing that I noticed but that now needs to understand is why it does not make me exit the games with the controller and restart xbox,
 usually I pressed the 2 front triggers and then simultaneously start and back and restarted ..
 now I have to force turn off from the power button when I finish playing.

Very Problem...azz.. i have 15 xbox ehehe but this is very  strange..i think problem hardware or setting aladin..

ahh i forgot that among the various changes to find the solution i also changed the aladin chip with another one i think is the same.. 
it works the same .. then i tried to eliminate the soft mod and then it worked and i left this chip 
.. not I wish it depends on this chip why I can't get out of the game with the controller.
this is the last problem left, I can't get out of the games with the controller and restart the xbox or go back to the dashboard.

This is new chip ..i think equal first type...

IMG_20200105_124755[1]-min.jpg

IMG_20200105_124802[1]-min.jpg

Edited by archfranck

Good to here you got it working now just some fine tuning to make it the way you like it.

The chip you had in the Xbox and new one are functionally the same and properly have the same BIOS loaded.

On the new chip if you add a link like in the pic it will be active all the time. But seeing you have a version 1.6 with the new chip the red led will be on all the time so your probably better off using the old one.

1268787888_AladdinBT.thumb.jpg.ccf6f8f56a57fccaf2afa2300939877e.jpg

The In Game Reset may have been changed in the dash board settings a some time

The normal I use is left and right trigger and then Back+Black

But it could be any combination from the list I copied from a evox.ini file below

Start_Button            = Yes
Back_Button            = Yes
L_Trig                       = Yes
R_Trig                       = Yes
White_Button     = No
Black_Button     = No
A_Button            = No
B_Button            = No
X_Button            = No
Y_Button            = No

Cheers

SS Dave

1 problem - yes i have led red and i think no good ..if no want red led when xbox is close i need connect bt point equal your photo? disconnect to ground and connected same your photo? 

or is it normal for the LED to stay on all the time? and I leave it like that .. in the meantime I inserted a switch in the power supply so the red LED turns off and the xbox is disconnected from the 100% power supply (I have a v. 1.6)

2 problem - need edit file evox.ini ? and position evox.ini ? i have installed prefer xbmc dashboard..not have installed evolutionx and not see file evo.ini...

tanks excuse for my english

Edited by archfranck

7 hours ago, archfranck said:

2 problem - need edit file evox.ini ? and position evox.ini ? i have installed prefer xbmc dashboard..not have installed evolutionx and not see file evo.ini...

Have a look at the C drive directory fit the evox.ini and it can be modified with a text editor.

You are looking for something like the text I posted before.

Cheers

SS Dave