OGXbox.com

XBmc4gamer /Emustation Boot

shaokhann

Evening, guys, Having Aladdin XT modchip with ind-bios, I wish I could use xbmc4gamer or emustation as a dashboard at boot. I tried to look for a guide to talk about it to a Moon like me but without success. 

That's the way my partitions are: C Microsoft Dash F Dash no boot (Evolution, xbmc4gamer).

Who can tell me the right guide? Thanks to everyone as always.

Method 1 to Run XBMC4Gamers as the Default Dashboard

Download the ind-bios.cfg file from the root folder of the Xbox's C drive.

Use a text editor to modify the file.  Generally, the last 3 lines contain the entries for the BIOS's dashboard boot order:

• DASH1=\Device\Harddisk0\Partition2\evoxdash.xbe
  • DASH2=\Device\Harddisk0\Partition1\Dash\UnleashX\unleashx.xbe
  • DASH3=\Device\Harddisk0\Partition1\Dash\EvolutionX\evoxdash.xbe

Modify the DASH1= line to contain the path to XBMC4Gamers' default.xbe file. The partition names equate the to following drive letters:

• Partition2 = C
  • Partition1 = E
  • Partition 6 = F
  • Partition 7 = G

So, if XBMC4Gamers' default.xbe file is located at:

• F:\XBMC4Gamers\default.xbe

the DASH1= line needs to read

• DASH1=\Device\Harddisk0\Partition6\XBMC4Gamers\default.xbe

Method 2 to Run XBMC4Gamers as the Default Dashboard Using an XBE Shortcut

Instead of editing ind-bios.cfg, you can create a shortcut file to upload as evoxdash.xbe to the root of the C drive.  No need to edit the ind-bios.cfg file.

Download: XBE Shortcut Maker v2.0

Run the Windows executable (dot exe file) from the location you extracted it to on your PC's hard drive.

946952829_XBMC4GamersinF_XBMC4Gamers.PNG.49d5a8629fb088a6c7cef5c4baa11ee7.PNG

Change the Target Path to where XBMC4Gamers' default.xbe file is stored on your Xbox's hard drive. 

Next, click on the large Create Shortcut Xbe... button and save the shortcut with the name evoxdash.xbe.  Upload this new shortcut file, evoxdash.xbe, to the root of the Xbox's C drive.  Reboot and XBMC4Gamers should now be your default dashboard.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

For a hardmodded Xbox, I believe Rocky5's Extras disc installs his dashboard loader as evoxdash.xbe in the root of the C drive.

It has a much longer list of files it checks the presence of on the hard drive to be the default dashboard.  The first file found in the following list will be the default dashboard.  If you rename the folder of a dashboard higher on the list so it is not found, the next highest executable found will become the default dashboard.  (change the name back to that of a higher listed file then reboot for it to be the default dashboard)

• C:\XBMC-Emustation\default.xbe
  • E:\XBMC-Emustation\default.xbe
  • F:\XBMC-Emustation\default.xbe
  • C:\XBMC4Gamers\default.xbe
  • E:\XBMC4Gamers\default.xbe
  • F:\XBMC4Gamers\default.xbe
  • C:\XBMC4Xbox\default.xbe
  • E:\XBMC4Xbox\default.xbe
  • F:\XBMC4Xbox\default.xbe
  • C:\XBMC\default.xbe
  • E:\XBMC\default.xbe
  • F:\XBMC\default.xbe
  • C:\dashboard\default.xbe
  • E:\dashboard\default.xbe
  • F:\dashboard\default.xbe
  • C:\dash\default.xbe
  • E:\dash\default.xbe
  • F:\dash\default.xbe
  • E:\default.xbe
  • E:\dashboard.xbe
  • C:\evoxdash.xbe
  • E:\evoxdash.xbe
  • C:\XBMC.xbe
  • E:\XBMC.xbe

Sorry for the ignorance and translation of English.
In the meantime, thank you to everyone.
Kaos you are a very precious resource, as well as other experts and I will never stop thanking you.
I have trouble finding the iso of the extra cd from Rocky5, I've always had Hexen, but the extra cd could help a noob like me.
On github I see several files to download but I don't understand how to find the so ready to burn.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

cattura.PNG

Edited by shaokhann

13 hours ago, KaosEngineer said:

Method 2 to Run XBMC4Gamers as the Default Dashboard Using an XBE Shortcut

Instead of editing ind-bios.cfg, you can create a shortcut file to upload as evoxdash.xbe to the root of the C drive.  No need to edit the ind-bios.cfg file.

Download: XBE Shortcut Maker v2.0

Thank you for this. This is the solution to a problem I asked about (sadly recieved no response) about whether or not it was possible to launch the dash from another partition. I am using XBMC4Gamers, but the C partition is only a few hundred megabytes and I have already had a couple of issues with downloads not "having enough space" - they did not ask where I wanted to download them too. I had heard of something called multilaunch or multiboot or something, but that seems to have vanished off the face of the earth.

At any rate, this solves the problem. Main dashboard now boots from e:\dashboard\ rather than c:\dashboard\

:)

• Like 1

Okay, that's it, my bad. I had to write everything in lowercase.😂 Anyway without you my beloved 14 xboxes would be getting dust, at least half of them. As soon as I have the chance, I would like to contribute as I can (temporarily not lavoro😅)

Edited by shaokhann

On 12/2/2019 at 3:55 AM, shaokhann said:

Sorry for the ignorance and translation of English.
In the meantime, thank you to everyone.
Kaos you are a very precious resource, as well as other experts and I will never stop thanking you.
I have trouble finding the iso of the extra cd from Rocky5, I've always had Hexen, but the extra cd could help a noob like me.
On github I see several files to download but I don't understand how to find the so ready to burn.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

[Picture removed from quoted post above --KaosEngineer]

You can download the pre-built Xbox Softmodding Tool Extras Disc ISO file from Rocky5's google drive repository

Xbox Softmod Kit Updates - Google Drive

• Thanks 1

From the size of C:\evoxdash.xbe, 64KB, I can tell it's an XBE Shortcut to your current dashboard - UnleashX.

You need to use the Windows application XBE Shortcut Maker 2.0 and create a new file of the same name that runs the dashboard you want to use.  Edit the Target XBE path to the default.xbe file of that dashboard.

Upload this new evoxdash.xbe shortcut file to C:\.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, shaokhann said:

the strange thing is that I have used the program several times, but it always remains 64kb I have xbmc il in F. So from the pc, starting the program I write the path where it is xbmc, I rename it in evoxdash.xbe but it always remains 64 kb 🤔

The .xbe that you creat using the shortcut tool, doesn't matter what the size of it is. It is literally just a forwarder. It loads, tells the xbox to load the .xbe in a different place instead. That's it. :)

• Like 1

The shortcut file is always 64KB in size. 

Xbox hacked BIOSes have a boot order list.  This list of xbe files is used to try to load an installed replacement dashboard.  If the first in the list is not found, the second is tried; if it fails, the third xbe is tried; if it fails, the stock MS dashboard - xboxdash.xbe is executed.

The shortcut created, evoxdash.xbe, is so named because it is the first XBE in the BIOS's boot order list; thus, loading the dashboard the user wants to run.

• Like 1

From the xbox that's showing UnleashX as the default dashboard, I need a copy of the bios flashed  to it's TSOP or modchip and copy of the shortcut file you created. Post them as an attachment in this forum or on a file sharing server with the link to download them posted here.

I think the root directory listing is already posted above but how about one of the Dashboard folder of the drive you have it installed on.