OGXbox.com

Dead Board?

nikeymikey

I have been given a board to try and repair by a would be customer... the board does not power up at all. At first glance there was a cap with only one leg connected to the board, this has been replaced with a new cap and is all good. However the board still does not power up at all, nothing happens when the power button is pushed. 
I spoke to the guy about it again and he informed me it did work until after he replaced the thermal paste on the chips.
my question is can too much paste cause the board to not power up at all?? I wouldnt think it could but hey I could be wrong... 

I have removed the heat sinks and cleaned off all the old paste, there was a LOT and it was all dry and crispy. He did say he had used cheap stuff... I will put on some arctic Mx-4 tonight and see if it changes anything but in the meantime, anyone have any other suggestions??

😃

Some coolpastes can conduct power. In case of too much coolingpaste this can create Shorts and destroy components. So were there coolinpaste on other components than just the Processor unit?

Otherwise No, too much coolingpaste cannot stop the console from booting up.

On a Xbox I have here that transistor had a short between Base and Emitter.

As it was late at night I grabbed the 1st PNP transistor (2SC640) with a bit of bending of the leads it works. Plus I did not want to pay 5 cents for 1 and 10 dollars post

The collector has to go high for the Xbox to send a signal to the power supply and turn on the 5 volt out-put.

1479518267_1.6trans.PNG.345ac2d1f4d7b2e255ff241c353cac1b.PNG    IMG_20191127_230705.thumb.jpg.a277e45598c219318f798b1a5065ac7c.jpg

SS Dave

Those that can Hard-Mod. Those that can't Soft-Mod.

Test the 5 volt at the power connector and if it's not a steady 5 volt (pulsing on and off) then the part I posted is more likely a DUD transistor if you remove the transistor and supply 5 volt via a 500 ohm resistor to the collector and it is able to be turned on then you need to replace the transistor.

SS Dave

Those that can Hard-Mod. Those that can't Soft-Mod.