OGXbox.com

Easily Flash Tsop With Chipped XBox?

mog91

Hi! I’ve recently bought and repaired a (very rusty and water damaged) Xbox. After cleaning it up, removing the clock cap and galvanizing, painting and taping the RF shield I chipped it with an Aladdin 4032 mod chip. Now that my wife is sufficiently annoyed with me spending a lot of time on this, is there an easy way to TSOP flash my v1.1 Xbox without removing my mod chip? I want to get it done now in case the mod chip fails in the future. The original hard drive is very much worthless as is the original DVD drive. I booted Hexen using a PC dvd drive just fine after chipping it. I just want to make sure I’ll be able to use any hard drive in it  without the mod chip in case it breaks. 

No. well, really depends how you have installed your Aladdin modchip.

Once the LPC attached flash memory chip is accessed, the TSOP is disconnected from the memory bus.

There are game save exploit files that can be used to directly flash the TSOP instead of softmodding the console.  

The modchip has to be disabled to use them.  Booting from the TSOP, running the game and loading the exploited save to flash the TSOP.

The Aladdin XT 4032 (aka Aladdin XT plus 2) is enabled by either strapping the BT pad to GND on the modchip (quicksolder region's pin 2 of the LPC debug header) or connecting BT to the power button signal coming from the the front panel. 

A short power button press/tap boots the console with the modchip disabled (loads the BIOS from the TSOP). 

A longer (> 1 second) power button press enables the modchip which loads the BIOS from the modchip's LPC attached flash memory chip.

How do you have the Aladdin modchip configured to be enabled?  

BT strapped to GND or connected to the power button signal 

If BT strapped, remove that wire.  If using the power button signal, you are good to go, power on the console with a short tap (unmodded operation) so you flash the TSOP.  This operation will require copying the TSOP flashing game save and booting one of the exploitable games to load it to flash the TSOP.  You could softmod the console with the Xbox Softmodding Tool and use the HeXEn 2018 disc to flash the TSOP.

The exploit flashing packages can be found on xbins FTP server or a couple of web site backups.  One such backup of those packages is here

The TSOP flashing packages are those that have raincoat in their folder name or flash.

If it was me I would has flashed it 1st but in all my time working with Xbox's if the chip has been soldered properly you won't have any problems.

The problems arise from bad soldering or when you reflash the BIOS on the mod chip with a incorrect file or the flash fails while writing and that can happen to the TSOP chip as well.

So you have the chip fitted now and it's working so just leave it there.

If it is not broken don't fix it!!  Plus it's now time to enjoy your hard work using the Xbox.

SS Dave

Those that can Hard-Mod. Those that can't Soft-Mod.

I have BT grounded but I don’t have a functioning Xbox DVD drive right now. I have a Pc drive in there. Ill put a switch on the BT ground so I can easily disable it when I get a new dvd drive, and I guess I’ll have to dump the eeprom so I can lock a hard drive to the Xbox as well. I appreciate the help with this, but I’ll have to put it on hold for a while or very well not do it. The mod chip seems to be working perfectly well right now anyways. Thanks again!

The hard drive that came with it isn’t functional, it was left outside in the rain for some time. So in order to flash it I believe I’d have to dump the eeprom, lock a hard drive, acquire an Xbox dvd drive and follow the standard softmod procedures to TSOP since I can’t do it with a mod chip installed, truthfully I probably won’t end up doing it. It’s be a lot of effort for something with little payoff! If the mod chip breaks For any reason I’ll reinstall the lpc header and mod chip. But it’s pretty solidly in there for now

• 1 month later...