OGXbox.com

Move Hdd Into New Box

Shadow07

So I TSOPed my Xbox and spent days building my setup, ripping games etc. I got a little too confident and tried to do a ram upgrade and trashed my motherboard. I’m planning to TSOP another Xbox and want to just stick this HDD in it so I can pick up where I left off before the fatal ram upgrade attempt. I’d like to think I had the foresight to keep the drive unlocked but I’m not sure if I did or not. Is there any guidance on how to best accomplish this?

Edited by Shadow07

If you didn't lock the drive you can swap it to the new Flashed/Chipped Xbox. If the drive is locked you need the drive key from the old Xbox's EEprom. If you can't get that or don't have that you have a paper weight.

The 1st thing I do after Flashing /Chipping is unlock the drive for just in case of Motherboard failure as it saves stuffing around reading and writing the EEprom

SS Dave

Those that can Hard-Mod,Those that can't Soft-Mod.

7 hours ago, KaosEngineer said:

Not completely a paper weight.  If locked with ConfigMagic, the MASTER password is TEAMASSEMBLY and it can be unlocked with a wide variety of Xbox or PC tools.  

I know the drive was originally formatted using Hexen. Does Hexen have its own master password as well?

No, it uses the same tools to lock and unlock the hard drive.  

If your console is modded with a modchip and you installed a new hard drive, it should be unlocked. 

Locking it would require you to do so.   

Back in the heyday of Xbox hacking, tools made by Xbox scene development teams used two different master passwords either

TEAMASSEMBLY or XBOXSCENE 

or left the hard drive manufacturer's default master password.

For Western Digital hard drives, it is WDCWDCWDCWDCWDCWDCWDCWDCWDCWDCWD (32 characters long)

For Seagate hard drives, it is usually: Seagate  followed by 25 space characters

For a list of manufacturer hard drive master passwords see:

https://ipv5.wordpress.com/2008/04/14/list-of-hard-disk-ata-master-passwords/

On 11/24/2019 at 12:44 PM, KaosEngineer said:

No, it uses the same tools to lock and unlock the hard drive.  

If your console is modded with a modchip and you installed a new hard drive, it should be unlocked. 

Locking it would require you to do so.   

Back in the heyday of Xbox hacking, tools made by Xbox scene development teams used two different master passwords either

TEAMASSEMBLY or XBOXSCENE 

or left the hard drive manufacturer's default master password.

For Western Digital hard drives, it is WDCWDCWDCWDCWDCWDCWDCWDCWDCWDCWD (32 characters long)

For Seagate hard drives, it is usually: Seagate  followed by 25 space characters

For a list of manufacturer hard drive master passwords see:

https://ipv5.wordpress.com/2008/04/14/list-of-hard-disk-ata-master-passwords/

Thank you I’ll try the WD pass and see if it works.

On 11/24/2019 at 4:38 PM, SS_Dave said:

Have you tried it in a different Xbox?

Just try swapping it to a new Xbox with a mod chip if it work your all good to go.

SS Dave

Those that can Hard-Mod. Those that can't Soft-Mod.

I’ve got a few stock Xboxes. I’ll get one modded ASAP and hopefully the HDD is unlocked and ready to go.

• 3 months later...
11 minutes ago, HDShadow said:

Does it really look that easy?

Yes and no

Soldering 400 pins 100 per chip can be a slow job and even when you think there all good the chip can still fail a test due to 1 pin not soldered or a less than hair thickness short.

If your going to have a go get some old computers to practice on 1st and in Homer Simpson's words work the internet on the google machine and watch heaps of clips on soldering.

My 1st 80 pin micro  I changed took over an hour to do 1 chip now 90 minutes for the 4 chips and that's taking my time and testing each chip with Xblast.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It get's the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

• Like 1

I had problems just bridging the two sets of connections needed for the first TSOP  I did a few weeks ago. Really messy; the chances of me stuffing up a RAM upgrade are high and I'd guess the same applies to many others whose soldering skills are basic.

Ergo for, most people, it not only does not look it easy it is almost guaranteed not going to easy.