OGXbox.com

XBox Power Supply Question

cryptblood1986

• 1 month later...

hi there!

Just jumping in on this discussion, as i'm currently stuck with one of my xboxes (us-version). since i live in europe (220/240v-outlets) this console was using a stepdown-converter (220 to 115 v). this stupid converter died last night, and i was wondering if i should buy another one or order a second-hand EU-psu and just swap it out. 

On 11/22/2019 at 11:29 PM, c0tt0nm0ufh said:

You CANNOT use an EU power supply on an US Xbox without modding.

in another post (i don't remember if it was here or on another forum), i read that it's totally fine to switch psu's, since they only convert the external power to the xbox corresponding needs, and that all xboxes use the same internal voltage, etc. is this true? and if not, what modification would be needed and why? 🤔

greetings

bot_1

16 hours ago, bot_1 said:

hi there!

Just jumping in on this discussion, as i'm currently stuck with one of my xboxes (us-version). since i live in europe (220/240v-outlets) this console was using a stepdown-converter (220 to 115 v). this stupid converter died last night, and i was wondering if i should buy another one or order a second-hand EU-psu and just swap it out. 

in another post (i don't remember if it was here or on another forum), i read that it's totally fine to switch psu's, since they only convert the external power to the xbox corresponding needs, and that all xboxes use the same internal voltage, etc. is this true? and if not, what modification would be needed and why? 🤔

greetings

bot_1

I actually managed to convert all Xbox PSU to 220v just picture your PSU. I'll give you the schematic.

36 minutes ago, cryptblood1986 said:

I actually managed to convert all Xbox PSU to 220v just picture your PSU. I'll give you the schematic.

I would not mind getting copy's of the schematic if you happy to share

Cheers

SS Dave

Those that can Hard-Mod. Those that can't Soft-Mod.

Hey there!

Thanks for the reply!

Sooo, what you're saying is i can convert the existing us-psu to eu-voltages without having to buy a used eu-one to swap it out? This would be fantastic! Or did i get you wrong?

As dave mentioned, i'm pretty convinced to the idea that internal voltage worldwide is the same (otherwise it would not make sense; they would have had to design every regional xbox with different caps and resistors, etc.).

Of course, i'm no pro, so i'm eager to listen and learn what this is all about. 🙂

I'm currently not at home, but i'm happy to send you a few pics of my us-psu when i get home. 

What i can say from memory is that its a 1.0 xbox with a single-row power-connector...

I'll get you updated soon! 

Greetings 

Bot_1

7 hours ago, cryptblood1986 said:

Yes it's possible. One of the PSU with the double capacitor can be converted to 220v without having to buy parts. Just a jumper wire and a capacitor to remove. The other models have different methods.

hey there cryptblood

i managed to take some pictures of my us-psu. would you mind having a look?

today, i had more trouble in getting this thing to run: my step-down-converter which i ordered for testing the us-box arrived and after plugging it in and turning it on, everything was running great for about 5 minutes. then, the box just went dead. no reaction, no blinking, no light, no fan, long presses, short presses... dead! even after letting it sit for about an hour to cool down, still no sign of life anymore. 

my initial assumption is, that my step-down converter died... after this incident, i compared the requirements of the box (especially wattage) with the converter and turns out the converter only supports devices up to 45 watts. if it's true what i read on several sites, the og xbox consumes up to 100 watts, which could indicate that i just overloaded my new step-down converter.  😲

oh well, i never fail to surprise myself. 😂 what are your thoughts on this?

greetings

bot_1

ugh... if indeed my converter died, i'm a little pissed off. the company labels these things as "worry-free", "compatible with all US-devices" and "plug and play". this is just false advertising in my opinion. i'm trying to get a refund! ;)

20200114_222836_HDR.jpg

20200114_222841_HDR.jpg

20200114_222850_HDR.jpg

• 2 months later...

On 1/14/2020 at 3:36 PM, cryptblood1986 said:

In the first pic I posted it's the jumper wire infront of the left capacitor and the orange capacitor to the right of the right capacitor needs to be removed. Then that PSU is 220v.

Hi, could you please confirm that I marked the correct capacitor and jumper wire?
And could you give me a tip on how to remove the jumper wire?
It's really hard to get to it.

XBoxPSU.png

• 1 year later...
On 1/15/2020 at 10:38 PM, cryptblood1986 said:

For that PSU model only one cap with same rating as mine.

20200116_025719.jpg

Hi

My XBOX PSU is exactly the same as this PSU but its  capacitor rating is 680uf / 200V .

Is it correct to replace it with an 220uf / 450V capacitor?

Thanks

Edited by eblis749

1 hour ago, eblis749 said:

Hi

Yes I need this conversion

According to the starter of this thread that's all you need to change, I can only verify the Delta supply used in the 1.0-1.1 can be converted as there is a link that sets the input voltage.

I strongly suggest if you are not 110% sure then buy a PSU that is the correct input supply and to fit your version of Xbox

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

• 1 year later...
On 11/22/2019 at 1:08 PM, cryptblood1986 said:

Is this power supply multivolt? A friend gave me this power supply and it worked on a 220v outlet despite it saying 100-127v. This power supply doesn't look like it's been modded. I have other power supplies of the same model and I've been using a 110v to 220v transformer with them.

20191122_191049.jpg

20191122_191154.jpg

20191122_191138.jpg

Hello! Can you help me? I have the same powerboard 220 volt Version 1.1 and i must repair burned parts.. I must know a colour of one resistence"R 13" in vertical insert, in the middle of Board.. 

5 minutes ago, Robbi said:

Hello! Can you help me? I have the same powerboard 220 volt Version 1.1 and i must repair burned parts.. I must know a colour of one resistence"R 13" in vertical insert, in the middle of Board.. 

Or if you know the value is the same.. Thanks Screenshot_2022-11-29-22-51-02-63_99c04817c0de5652397fc8b56c3b3817.thumb.jpg.d2887bba9466fbc96d9363197ddff37e.jpg

• 1 year later...

i like thank everyone helped me with the info i convert it and it worked in 220

btw its ver 1.0

i did it by removing jumper wire infront of the left capacitor and the yellow transister right to right cap and it worked

i measured  the temp of the caps they have no heat problem but the iron thing with warning label after shutting it down it reached 41c

should i be concerned  or is it normal  and what its called  is it voltage regulator ?