OGXbox.com

Questions or Issues.

Rocky5

7 hours ago, MayorQwert said:

All, this all is on an X3 modded system. So hardmod. It boots fine and works with OG HDD (The 160GB) but when I try to repeat the Chimps clone I don't ever get the prompt to connect the slave drive. In the prior cases I would boot with the new HDD connected already in place of the DVD drive and this worked with only slight startup animation stutter. I am worried this maybe led somehow to my current issues since now when I boot with the DVD drive connected it will constantly act like it is trying to read something. Part of me wonders if this is why I never get the dashboard or Xecuter logo, maybe it thinks there's a disc?

Anyway, I tried doing the swamp in the dashboard but when I start to plug in the data cable to my SATA adapter the dashboard thinks I inserted a DVD and goes to a black screen, forcing a reset. As before, if I go to Chimps I get a screen with a standard refresh arrow symbol in the center (you know, just a circular arrow) with a "B to exit" prompt that restarts the system. I am no longer getting any options to boot chimps.

Apologies if this is confusing at all. I can explain in greater detail or upload a video showing this if need be. The stutter I mention is just what it sounds like, about half a second of freeze and audio skip during the startup animation when I had the HDD connected in place of the DVD.

So the system is working fine until you try to use chimp? Try building the new drive using a utility disk to see if there is a hdd issue, if that works fine try reinstalling chimp, you are using 261812?

I'm new to all of this, so do you happen to have any guides for the utility disc I could use? I tried using one back in winter but didn't have luck getting one to boot. I also had the idea to reinstall Chimp so I can give that a shot tomorrow and see if that changes anything.

What I'm really worried about is that I may have messed something up by shortcutting the connection of the slave HDD. Normally you are supposed to do the swap once you are prompted to connect the slave drive but I found with my chipped xbox I could just leave it plugged in from the start (but have a bit of stutter for a half-second during startup) however I don't know if that has something to do with the DVD drive causing drouble when connected like I said in my earlier post...

Anyway, I will try to see if I can have any luck.

On 5/24/2020 at 10:37 PM, SS_Dave said:

What is the new drive your trying to setup?

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

The drive I am using is a 500GB laptop drive: Seagate P/N 756731-001

The drive worked fine when I initially did the copy and it can be locked and unlocked without a problem, too. I have kept it unlocked though since this is a chipped system. As I said I was able to transfer the content, games and all, but I couldn't get the extended partitions to behave right. I was wanting to have the F drive get all the extra space but it only ever had the same space as the old drive showing up. Once I was able to get the F drive to be the same, with G drive having the remainder, but when I FTPed over and created a Games directory in the top-level of the empty G-drive, I could not access the game I put there... At that point I ended up accidentally formatting the extended partitions with the partition table writer app bundled with Chimp (did not realize it formats the extended partitions when you mess with the partition table) and it was at that point that I started having trouble with the DVD drive and had Chimp start to not give the option to connect a slave drive.

UPDATE:

I went ahead and decided to give reloading Chimp. I just deleted the files, restarted, then copied them over fresh. Same issue though, no change! However when I first turned back on the Xbox, I did so with the DVD drive fully connected, and what do you know, it worked! For some reason now the Xbox is turning on without having issues with the DVD drive. Now I haven't tested the DVD drive to see if it works but before it would never show the X3 logo when booting and just hang with the DVD trying to read. Now it doesn't do that.

Like I said though, I still get stuck at Chimp.. Here's the screen I see for reference:

chimp.thumb.jpg.aa67e55483875ebc16671210e9efd318.jpg

Edited by MayorQwert

The main thing is you got it working

The X3 modchip can be a bit fussy if the DVD drive is not connected same with the Open Xenium  has a hiccup in some menus if the DVD drive is not present.

In my opinion you did a lot of work to clone a 160 gig drive I would have plugged in the new HDD and used a install disk to setup the new drive then used FTP to get the games back to the new drive.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

10 hours ago, SS_Dave said:

The main thing is you got it working

The X3 modchip can be a bit fussy if the DVD drive is not connected same with the Open Xenium  has a hiccup in some menus if the DVD drive is not present.

In my opinion you did a lot of work to clone a 160 gig drive I would have plugged in the new HDD and used a install disk to setup the new drive then used FTP to get the games back to the new drive.

Cheers

SS Dave

Perhaps that would be the best way. I guess I didn't think about that I could just copy the UDATA for any games I wanted. Truth be told I do have the new drive working now with the same old avalaunch dash on the old drive (The C and E drives are copied after all), just no games. So I might just cut my losses and do that.

Hello guys, the issue I have here is that I do the hot swap method, launch chimp and it gives me error 21. I have tried so many times, I got the SATA to Ide adapter to Slave I start with the 80wire ribbon cable to the Disk drive and then to the new hard drive but when I load Chimp is not working. My New hard drive is working I did a low level format on my PC and is all cleaned now but still I cannot get it to do open with Chimp. what I am doing wrong?

Just to add i installed chimp and when i opened the xbox with WINSCP to see the files i had to folders on E/Apps And E/Applications

i erased E/Apps and just kept E/Applications Chimp

Hey followup to my earlier postings. I ended up just using XBPartitioner to format the drive (seems my settings in Chimp did not have the correct cluster size for the partition I was using). Anyway I wanted to warn people to not do what I did with having both drives connected at startup consistently. The mentioned DVD issues are back and seems to be isolated to this one I used that method with (X3 chipped xbox). IIRC softmodded systems won't boot at all without a DVD drive but chipped will just fine. However me connecting the slave drive to the DVD drive location seems to have messed something up to where the xbox won't read discs at all whatsoever, regardless of how many times I swap in new DVD drives. Idk but maybe this is a motherboard issue?

It's not too bad since my X3 xbox can boot without a DVD drive (though I get startup stutter), but I wanted to warn anybody else with a chipped system since I'd hate to have someone else ruin their xbox's ability to read DVDs (or have a disc drive for that matter)!

6 hours ago, alexjames2320 said:

Hello guys, the issue I have here is that I do the hot swap method, launch chimp and it gives me error 21. I have tried so many times, I got the SATA to Ide adapter to Slave I start with the 80wire ribbon cable to the Disk drive and then to the new hard drive but when I load Chimp is not working. My New hard drive is working I did a low level format on my PC and is all cleaned now but still I cannot get it to do open with Chimp. what I am doing wrong?

Just to add i installed chimp and when i opened the xbox with WINSCP to see the files i had to folders on E/Apps And E/Applications

i erased E/Apps and just kept E/Applications Chimp

Hi, is the hdd you are cloning from set to master. You should have your dvd drive and your original hdd plugged up as normal before opening chimp, you also need power to your new hdd. Then open chimp and you should be asked to attach your slave hdd, is this when you are getting error 21?

• 1 year later...

Running into multiple dead ends trying to install a bigger HDD into a softmodded 1.6 Xbox.
First problem I ran into is with trying to run Chimp, no matter how I try to launch the application, even with stock drive + IDE cable + DVD drive connected, I will be greeted with a black screen containing nothing but an arrow and exit. Pressing A at this point reboots the Xbox.
spacer.png

Swapping the DVD drive for a second HDD on this screen, or prior to launching chimp makes no difference. This blank black screen will greet me every time.
Haven't had any luck with trying to launch the older chimp files I was able to track down either. Although I was only able to find downloads for chimp261811 & 'Chimp 2.4'
Maybe a different old version of Chimp would help get this console through this process? If you have any older versions you could upload, I would much appreciate trying them.

Unfortunately trying to build a drive from my PC with XBoxHDM-2.3-Beta4 has also been giving me issues, I can build a drive no worries.. it can even lock and unlock the drive correctly with this consoles dumped eeprom.bin .. but when I insert the new drive into my Xbox I will always get an error6 on bootup which I believe indicates some kind of locking issue.
I redumped my eeprom over 5 times, and made sure it wasn't becoming corrupt during FTP transfer or anything of the sort.. but no matter how I lock a drive in the xboxhdm tool, it will always boot into error6.

This leads me to believe getting a version of Chimp to launch is the last hope this 1.6 xbox has at being happily softmodded.
Across the net I've found one or two other people who have come across this error when trying to launch chimp before, but there's never been a good clear answer as to how it can be resolved.

P.S I have tested using both standard composite video connection as well as component, the same error from the screenshot will get us either way.
I have also tried running Chimp from E:\Apps, E:\Applications and E:\ all to the same result.
I have moved the app to the system using windows FTP, Filezilla FTP (binary mode enabled etc) as well as installed it from the extras disc, and always fails in the same way.
Thanks for your time.

4 hours ago, Skullator said:

Unfortunately trying to build a drive from my PC with XBoxHDM-2.3-Beta4 has also been giving me issues, I can build a drive no worries.. it can even lock and unlock the drive correctly with this consoles dumped eeprom.bin .. but when I insert the new drive into my Xbox I will always get an error6 on bootup which I believe indicates some kind of locking issue.
I redumped my eeprom over 5 times, and made sure it wasn't becoming corrupt during FTP transfer or anything of the sort.. but no matter how I lock a drive in the xboxhdm tool, it will always boot into error6.

Error 6 - kernel - Cannot unlock HDD

I've helped a few others using XboxHDM-2.3-Beta4 with a similar problem.  I'm not sure why it happens but the password it computed to lock the drive was different every time the app was used to lock the hard drive.  This situation causes a problem.  It prevents the Xbox from unlocking the drive.

The password XboxHDM-2.3-Beta 4 computed to lock the hard drive was different than the one the Xbox computed to unlock it; thus error 06.

I suggest replacing Beta4's v7.2 release of smartctl.exe with XboxHDM23USB Beta 2 or Beta 3's v6.2 release.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Skullator said:

P.S I have tested using both standard composite video connection as well as component, the same error from the screenshot will get us either way.
I have also tried running Chimp from E:\Apps, E:\Applications and E:\ all to the same result.
I have moved the app to the system using windows FTP, Filezilla FTP (binary mode enabled etc) as well as installed it from the extras disc, and always fails in the same way.
Thanks for your time.

Do you have all of Chimp 261812's required files installed?  The application consists of more than the one file - default.xbe.

1. config.cfg
  2. default.xbe
  3. initrd.gz
  4. linux267

7 hours ago, KaosEngineer said:

I've helped a few others using XboxHDM-2.3-Beta4 with a similar problem.  I'm not sure why it happens but the password it computed to lock the drive was different every time the app was used to lock the hard drive.  This situation causes a problem.  It prevents the Xbox from unlocking the drive.

The password XboxHDM-2.3-Beta 4 computed to lock the hard drive was different than the one the Xbox computed to unlock it; thus error 06.

I suggest replacing Beta4's v7.2 release of smartctl.exe with XboxHDM23USB Beta 2 or Beta 3's v6.2 release.

Thanks for the replies. Very interesting. I gave locking the drive a go with older version of smartctl, and it ended up leading me to an error 13 when trying to boot this HDD instead of an error6. I figured this might be progress, as there's a chance the system is happy with how the drive is locked now?
From what I could learn about error 13 it seems to be a dashboard error.

For context, my system still boots fine if I attach the original HDD (with rocky5 softmod running)

With my new HDD, I've been running it through XboxHDM23 Beta-4's full xboxhd processes of setting up the partitions \ formatting etc. and then I chose to have it copy all of the data from my stock drives C and E partitions.

I did this because I have seen with Chimp the goal is to clone the HDD, lock it, and then boot straight into it (after switching jumper to master etc.) - So I assumed for a healthy dash in my situation I should just be aiming to clone the contents of C drive? What do you think?

7 hours ago, KaosEngineer said:

Do you have all of Chimp 261812's required files installed?  The application consists of more than the one file - default.xbe.

1. config.cfg
  2. default.xbe
  3. initrd.gz
  4. linux267

Yup all the files are there and correct size etc.

As I mentioned I have tried moving Chimp to the system using windows built in FTP.. Filezilla (binary configured etc) as well as installing Chimp from the extras disc just to make sure. But no matter how I load the latest version of chimp, it always gives me the blank black screen and nothing but the option to push A to reset the console.

Older versions of chimp tend to do various other things (like launch Xromwell) but still haven't found one which will let me successfully hotswap and clone drive to larger HDD.

7 hours ago, Skullator said:

Thanks for the replies. Very interesting. I gave locking the drive a go with older version of smartctl, and it ended up leading me to an error 13 when trying to boot this HDD instead of an error6. I figured this might be progress, as there's a chance the system is happy with how the drive is locked now?
From what I could learn about error 13 it seems to be a dashboard error.

If an IDE hard drive is being replaced with a SATA drive and IDE-to-SATA adapter, more often than not, you need to swap out the stock 40-pin 40-wire IDE cable for a high-speed 80-wire 40-pin cable.  This change will fix the error 13 issue you are now having. YMMV! :)

• Like 1

On 5/10/2022 at 9:22 PM, KaosEngineer said:

Big thanks for your help. Took me longer than I would like to admit, but I feel proud that my first time dipping my toes with modding any Xbox system.. I was able to salvage this pesky unit with a failing DVD drive and the inability to launch Chimp to clone the HDD no matter what.

I believe thanks to your tip about using older version of smartctl files to lock the drive, as well as using the premade C drive contents from the beta3 folder of xboxhdm23, I was able to get things the way they needed to be and resoftmod the system upon booting up to the newly locked larger HDD.

Another Xbox saved, many thanks!