OGXbox.com

Suggestions for 2TB SATA Hard Drive

malarrya

Hey everyone. I've been using a 500GB SATA laptop drive as my main hard drive for a few years now but it seems to be dying. I'd really like to hear your suggestions on what you find is the best quality or most cost effective drive you recommend. Do you use a 2.5 or 3.5 inch drive? Do you like standard, hybrid, or solid state drives? I was probably going to get one of these but if you know of something better, let me know. I like Seagate drives but am open to other brands you may find reliable.

CHEAP: HP/Seagate Constellation 2TB 7200RPM 128MB Cache SATA
https://www.amazon.com/HP-Constellation-ST2000NM0033-MB2000EXWCR-Enterprise/dp/B07V2BLGKT/

MIDDLE: Seagate BarraCuda 2TB Internal Hard Drive HDD – 3.5 Inch SATA 
https://www.amazon.com/Seagate-BarraCuda-Internal-Drive-3-5-Inch/dp/B07H2RR55Q/

MORE EXPENSIVE: Seagate FireCuda Gaming (Compute) 2TB Solid State Hybrid Drive Performance SSHD – 2.5 Inch SATA
https://www.amazon.com/Seagate-FireCuda-Gaming-Accelerated-Performance/dp/B07H2F3741/

• malarrya changed the title to Suggestions for 2TB SATA Hard Drive

Yeah I was thinking, I could buy 3 of the cheap ones for the same price as 1 of the expensive. But then I thought, I can buy a 4GB drive, for about the same price as the expensive 2TB SSHD, for my arcade machine and take the 2GB out of that and use it in the Xbox. I'll probably go cheap though.

Hello, for compatibility with ATA to SATA adapter, I would advice you to buy a WD BLUE. 2TB is perfect for full Xbox collection.

Prefer something that long last. Use Chimp to make 2 partitions of about 980 Mb. The sectors must be 64 kb and not 128 kb. If you use Xpartitionner 1.3, dont forger to first remove small 127 Mb F drive and save and reboot, before créatine F and G.

Bye

• Like 2

On 11/17/2019 at 12:41 AM, Benur75 said:

Hello, for compatibility with ATA to SATA adapter, I would advice you to buy a WD BLUE. 2TB is perfect for full Xbox collection.

Prefer something that long last. Use Chimp to make 2 partitions of about 980 Mb. The sectors must be 64 kb and not 128 kb. If you use Xpartitionner 1.3, dont forger to first remove small 127 Mb F drive and save and reboot, before créatine F and G.

Bye

Well crud, I already got the Seagate Firecuda but it seems to be working wonderfully. I did use XBPartitioner to create the F&G drives but didn't know about any 127MB F Drive I should have removed. I don't see any extra drives when I browse with the File Explorer and the partitions seem to be the same size. I only have about 500GB of data at this point anyways so if I lose 127MB at some point I won't be too upset. I don't really need the entire Xbox collection as I like playing the homebrew, CoinOps, and Emulators on it so I would run out of space anyways. Honestly, I just wanted something that works fast and lasts. The Seagate has a 5 year warranty.

On 11/18/2019 at 12:07 PM, malarrya said:

Well crud, I already got the Seagate Firecuda but it seems to be working wonderfully. I did use XBPartitioner to create the F&G drives but didn't know about any 127MB F Drive I should have removed. I don't see any extra drives when I browse with the File Explorer and the partitions seem to be the same size. I only have about 500GB of data at this point anyways so if I lose 127MB at some point I won't be too upset. I don't really need the entire Xbox collection as I like playing the homebrew, CoinOps, and Emulators on it so I would run out of space anyways. Honestly, I just wanted something that works fast and lasts. The Seagate has a 5 year warranty.

Upon further inspection, it looks like I did everything correctly. When I first started XBPartitioner 1.3 it did show ER for both the F&G drives. I decided to format them anyway. I think I may have just formatted them with something that did not show an error then reformatted with the 2 TB split onto each drive (~927GB). Whatever I did, the drive is working just fine and UnleashX shows the correct amount of space for each drive (949,055.088 MB). I've been restoring all my backups, emulators, CoinOps, and game saves and still have well over 600GB on the F Drive and no hiccups yet.

Looks like the drive I bought on Saturday also went back up in price about $27 so I am glad I sniped it when I did.

So, not to hijack my own thread but, when you guys fill up your 2TB drive with a pre-made torrent from ArcadePunks or wherever, do you use CHIMP to clone the drives or something else? Whatever you use, how long does it take to clone a 2TB drive that's full? I ask because restoring from FTP takes a long time :) 

image.png.c71e9318bbf3c91638e4177c1cc623fe.png

image.png.96b6a94c1b6d29550fe767b970a54dc2.png

• Like 1