OGXbox.com

Questions and Other Stuff

Rocky5

23 hours ago, ecstone said:

I had this problem with a few roms, mainly Goldeneye.  I opened the emulator through file manager and changed the settings for the games that didn't work.  After changing the settings for each non working game they functioned perfectly.  Here's a link to a page that lists the settings to try if a rom isn't working.

http://sprinkleboutique.com/some-settings-that-work-for-nintendo-64-surreal-64-emulator-on-the-original-xbox/

If the emulator itself isn't working try deleting all the emulator files and replacing them with the emulator EWJ supplies, I had to do this to get it to work at all.

Hey Thanks,

This did the trick!

In the end I think the emulator was not working. Once removed the existing and ftped EWJ's version of surreal it started to launch some of the roms. 

Strange that the one from the madmab download page did not work.

Now I will start changing some of the settings with the link you provided.

Thanks again!

How do I get ScummVM games to show up in the Carousel?  I scan the roms and under the ScummVM menu it says zero games available.  The games are in the Emustation\roms\scummvm folder and I copied the games directly into the Emustation\emulators\scummvm\games folder as well to see if that would show up but still nothing.  If I open ScummVM through the File Manager it recognizes the copies in it's own Games folder and plays them fine but still no games appear in the Carousel.  I even created .cut files to launch the games which work fine when I run them from the File Manager.  I would just like the games to show up on the Carousel under the ScummVM menu option like the rest of my emulators and roms.

On 1/20/2019 at 9:49 PM, ecstone said:

How do I get ScummVM games to show up in the Carousel?  I scan the roms and under the ScummVM menu it says zero games available.  

I had a similar issue, but regarding the PSX emulator. The solution for me was to use a different file type. I was using .bin, but emustation is looking for the .cue to launch the .bin. 

I was told it's recommended to keep all files zipped, but in this instance, I had to unzip and place all files (.bin, .cue, etc) into the roms folder together. 

Bit messy, but it did the trick. 

On 5/16/2018 at 12:26 PM, mikeaton said:

well coin ops does look horrible

I absolutely love Coinops and always have.   I have always admired the simple structure of titles organized with gameplay videos and filters as easy as pushing a button.   

it's not art based and I'm done with that.  You can sort all the games by name, date, system, genre, players, and etc.  

It may not be the flashiest frontend but it's very organized and simple to use.  Not to meantion you have CPU speed adjustments embedded if you need to slow down or speed up a game.   

I think that everything has it's positives and it's negatives and all have their place in everyone's Xbox.   I know my Xbox has several different ways to play games.   

I love Rocky's applications he has made and I love BP's.   Not to mention anything and everything that keeps the love of this device alive.   

• 2 months later...

Stuck on 2 things!

Almost got the system setup as I want it for my 12 year old son -

• softmodded (rocky5)
  • Emustation installed (did both build from source and then re-tried with download and extract pre-built zip when had initial problems - both results the same)
  • HDD switched larger 300gb
  • Xbox games ripped on to HDD and artwork added
  • SNES and Megadrive ROMS on and mostly working

But have been banging my head against a brick wall trying to figure out the 2 final things I want to do

1. Trying to remove the 'Ports' option from the Carousel (not needed for my son) - but cant seem to find a carousel config file to comment out the reference to 'Ports'

2. Can't get PSX to work in any way, shape or form,

Can get the games and artwork to be recognised and show as available games, but they just wont run - mostly just freezes the whole system with a black screen and then have to power off the whole sytem to restart - occasionally get a config display withe certain games (Risk) to change bios etc but then dont have the option to save changes and continue to game and then system just freezes again :

• tried 4 games known to be working ROMS (running on RPi + Recalbox) Kula World, Rayman, MGS1 and Risk
  • tried ISO files 
  • tried bin/cue files (Kula World = 1 bin + 1 cue) (MGS1 = 1 bin + 1 cue) (Rayman = multiple bins + 1 cue) (Risk = 2 bin + 1 cue)
  • tried IMG files
  • even tried eboot/pbp format!
  • tried adding additional bios (schph5500, scph5501 + scph5502) - adding these worked in Recalbox
  • tried adding SCPH1001 (uppercase - some systems can be picky)
  • tried changing PCSXBOX cores - default, default 14, default 15, default 15 reloaded, default 16  (wasn't sure how to change them so just renamed each one default.xbe in turn

Not sure what else to do & not sure how to view log to try and identify whats going wrong because the system freezes!

Anyone got any ideas, help, suggestions?

Thanks in advance

6 hours ago, steveh6883 said:

Almost got the system setup as I want it for my 12 year old son -

• softmodded (rocky5)
  • Emustation installed (did both build from source and then re-tried with download and extract pre-built zip when had initial problems - both results the same)
  • HDD switched larger 300gb
  • Xbox games ripped on to HDD and artwork added
  • SNES and Megadrive ROMS on and mostly working

But have been banging my head against a brick wall trying to figure out the 2 final things I want to do

1. Trying to remove the 'Ports' option from the Carousel (not needed for my son) - but cant seem to find a carousel config file to comment out the reference to 'Ports'

2. Can't get PSX to work in any way, shape or form,

Can get the games and artwork to be recognised and show as available games, but they just wont run - mostly just freezes the whole system with a black screen and then have to power off the whole sytem to restart - occasionally get a config display withe certain games (Risk) to change bios etc but then dont have the option to save changes and continue to game and then system just freezes again :

• tried 4 games known to be working ROMS (running on RPi + Recalbox) Kula World, Rayman, MGS1 and Risk
  • tried ISO files 
  • tried bin/cue files (Kula World = 1 bin + 1 cue) (MGS1 = 1 bin + 1 cue) (Rayman = multiple bins + 1 cue) (Risk = 2 bin + 1 cue)
  • tried IMG files
  • even tried eboot/pbp format!
  • tried adding additional bios (schph5500, scph5501 + scph5502) - adding these worked in Recalbox
  • tried adding SCPH1001 (uppercase - some systems can be picky)
  • tried changing PCSXBOX cores - default, default 14, default 15, default 15 reloaded, default 16  (wasn't sure how to change them so just renamed each one default.xbe in turn

Not sure what else to do & not sure how to view log to try and identify whats going wrong because the system freezes!

Anyone got any ideas, help, suggestions?

Thanks in advance

Edit S:\simple\systems_list\system_list.xml comment out the ports (<!— <item id="52"> all the other code </item> —>) Now change theme once for effects. (I have to build the home.xml again without the new value)

cant help with emulators, PSX and N64 are the worst contenders, you could try downloading the updated emulator from the downloader.

Don’t change anything in the PSX emulator, it’s front end will select a core or you can load directly into it by pressing Y button on the carousel. This will let you adjust cores to use for specific games, just find your games the press X on them (I’m sure it’s X) this will let you select what core to use. Try different ones. 

Edited by Rocky5

6 hours ago, Rocky5 said:

Edit S:\simple\systems_list\system_list.xml comment out the ports (<!— <item id="52"> all the other code </item> —>) Now change theme once for effects. (I have to build the home.xml again without the new value)

cant help with emulators, PSX and N64 are the worst contenders, you could try downloading the updated emulator from the downloader.

Don’t change anything in the PSX emulator, it’s front end will select a core or you can load directly into it by pressing Y button on the carousel. This will let you adjust cores to use for specific games, just find your games the press X on them (I’m sure it’s X) this will let you select what core to use. Try different ones. 

Thanks for that

Tried commenting out the ports reference item id52 but think i broke it!

When emustation restarts get a splash screen then nothing - black screen - can still hear sound from keypresses but no home screen

Edited the system_list.xml back to original but still the same black screen :(

UPDATE:

Got the home screen back by switching themes (forcing rebuild?) after removing commenting out

But still get a black screen when adding the commenting out (is this causing a rebuild fail?)

Edited by steveh6883

Just to chime in im having the same surreal 64 issue as listed here. Using the built in downloader to grab it. Seems that copy of surreal is broken somehow. Using earthwormjames roms. Surreal works as an app outside emustation , and even when putting it as an xbe shortcut on homescreen in emustation. But using the built in launching functions of emmustation for n44 roms in the rom list always gets me a black screen and hard lockup.

On 4/3/2019 at 10:42 PM, steveh6883 said:

Thanks for that

Tried commenting out the ports reference item id52 but think i broke it!

When emustation restarts get a splash screen then nothing - black screen - can still hear sound from keypresses but no home screen

Edited the system_list.xml back to original but still the same black screen :(

UPDATE:

Got the home screen back by switching themes (forcing rebuild?) after removing commenting out

But still get a black screen when adding the commenting out (is this causing a rebuild fail?)

https://pastebin.com/7CBhxXT9

2 hours ago, SparkThaMetal said:

Just to chime in im having the same surreal 64 issue as listed here. Using the built in downloader to grab it. Seems that copy of surreal is broken somehow. Using earthwormjames roms. Surreal works as an app outside emustation , and even when putting it as an xbe shortcut on homescreen in emustation. But using the built in launching functions of emmustation for n44 roms in the rom list always gets me a black screen and hard lockup.

Why I hate N64 emulation, it does the same for me now. (It never used to)

Edited by Rocky5

Hi, I'm having some problems with installing Surreal64 to XBMC. I followed the instructions provided and everything went fine until I tried scanning for emulators in XBMC. Got the error message that Surreal.ini is missing from the N64 Emulators directory. I tried to edit the surreal.ini file but this didn't help. Also tried to delete all files and try again. It's possible I'm doing some noob mistake since I'm new to the xbox modding scene.

On 4/8/2019 at 6:51 PM, Grasshopper_55 said:

Hi, I'm having some problems with installing Surreal64 to XBMC. I followed the instructions provided and everything went fine until I tried scanning for emulators in XBMC. Got the error message that Surreal.ini is missing from the N64 Emulators directory. I tried to edit the surreal.ini file but this didn't help. Also tried to delete all files and try again. It's possible I'm doing some noob mistake since I'm new to the xbox modding scene.

The surreal that emustation downloads is bugged, somehow, not sure what the bug is or where the bug is but that's why it won't work.

I know this because I took the emulator files and ftp'd to show on main dash under emulators, got it to show, got it to show roms, select a rom and the same black screen occurred that occurred in emustation..... So its the surreal emu causing the issues, absolutely nothing to do with emustation!

The same happens with earthworms surreal he supplies with his 201 rom set, again no ide what the issue is but in emustation and main dash it just hangs on a black screen.

I got it working though by downloading a fresh surreal from source, installing that to emustation, then ftp'd earthworms relevant files (configs, ini etc etc) and it works perfect from emustation like all emulators do.

Im by no means an expert on xbox modding, quite new myself so can't diagnose the issue just know how I managed to fix it after pulling my hair out for hours.

If need be I can probably upload the emulator setup to Google drive for folk to download, the roms I won't include for size reasons. So all anybody would need to do is ftp the file I provide and overwrite the existing n64 emulator file.

Just let me know if anybody requires it and I'll upload.

Edited by V82MP

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/13/2019 at 12:31 PM, V82MP said:

If need be I can probably upload the emulator setup to Google drive for folk to download, the roms I won't include for size reasons. So all anybody would need to do is ftp the file I provide and overwrite the existing n64 emulator file.

Just let me know if anybody requires it and I'll upload.

I would love it if you could upload it. I've been battling the n64 emulator for days trying to get it to work and I'm not getting anywhere.

On 4/21/2019 at 6:31 PM, GhostInTheBox said:

I would love it if you could upload it. I've been battling the n64 emulator for days trying to get it to work and I'm not getting anywhere.

Just got your post

I'll upload when home later today and post link here for you and anybody else struggling.

Ok, I've uploaded the N64 setup to google drive.

Decided to upload everything as a single rar file (2.4gb), although it may be split by google drive so just download all parts and then extract them together.

Once extracted you will have 3 folders...Emulators, Media + Roms (Earthworms roms).......Also included is a text document with instructions.

Very simple though just place the required folders as you do for all emulator setups and rescan, nothing needs changed or added in any way and all games can be used the same as all other XBMC Emustation emulators and launched in the same way without black screen or exiting out of Emustation.

Here is the link.......

https://drive.google.com/open?id=17FYkAD3jTl4keBjkbp4-h2opZR4eROw3

Enjoy! Big thanks to JRocky5 for making it all possible!

Edited by V82MP
  • Like 1

Hi,

I've just downloaded and compiled Rocky5's dashboard and it's fantastic.

However, I seem to be having a big problem setting it as the main dashboard.  It's located on the E:\XBMC4Gamers\ folder and I can get it run fine if accessing default.xbe, but just cannot get the Xbox to boot to it - it always defaults to XBMC4XBOX.  I realise this has probably come up before so can only apologize for being a bit slow!

Many thanks.

Edited by Captain Dalles
Spelling error

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/26/2019 at 1:11 PM, Captain Dalles said:

I think I might have solved it...

By renaming the XBMC4GAMERS folder to 'Dashboard' and renaming the old 'Dashboard' folder to 'xDashboard', it works perfectly - I think!

Artwork fine, trainers fine, save games fine.  So it all seems ok, fingers crossed.

Anyway, have to say, this dashboard is fantastic.

Thanks for this. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/26/2019 at 10:11 PM, Captain Dalles said:

I think I might have solved it...

By renaming the XBMC4GAMERS folder to 'Dashboard' and renaming the old 'Dashboard' folder to 'xDashboard', it works perfectly - I think!

Artwork fine, trainers fine, save games fine.  So it all seems ok, fingers crossed.

Anyway, have to say, this dashboard is fantastic.

Or you use jrockys toolbox add on disc, go to dashboards and select the dash you want....... Select xbmc emustation, push 1 button and it'll automatically set the dash for you and more importantly save a recovery dash in case something somewhere goes wrong.

By doing what you've done and changing file names if you run into any sort of dash issue or launch issue you could be totally screwed and have a bricked xbox.

It's your xbox and if it's worked its worked, but personally I'd backtrack, change it back to what it was and run the proper dashboard program that was made specifically to do it safely.