OGXbox.com

Need Help With CXBX

Volcanic163

So, basically, I have a .xbe for Brute Force, but every time I try to run it, I get the error message "Unable to determine default Xbox backbuffer." What does it mean?

Edit: Fixed, but I'm getting a new error saying "IDirect3D::CreateDevice failed"

Edit 2: I've decided it's not worth the trouble. Sorry for bothering you all.

Edited by Volcanic163
Apology.

The Intel graphics chip is not much of a Graphics Processing Unit (GPU), more like a simple frame buffer driver chip, when compared to a higher-end nVidia GeForce GPUs.

Gabriel Mchedlidze posted in a Quora forum:

...Intel HD graphics chips are mostly in office computers and laptops. They are not good in gaming and/or rendering. ...

I suspect a higher-end GPU  with dedicated memory is required to run CXBX-Reloaded well.  Check the system specifications recommended to run CXBX-Reloaded.  Update: Brute Force may not be compatible/supported yet!

From https://github.com/Cxbx-Reloaded/Cxbx-Reloaded:

Minimum

• OS: Windows 7+ x64. 32-bit installations are not supported.
  • GPU: Anything that supports Direct3D 9 (HLE) and OpenGL 3.3 (LLE).

Check that the Intel HD 3000 supports the two graphics API requirements - Direct3D 9 or higher and OpenGL 3.3 or higher.

For Direct3D run DirectX Diagnostics program - Windows Key+R, in the pop-up run window in the Open box key-in dxdiag then click OK.

For OpenGL, you'll need to install a 3rd party application - OpenGL Extensions Viewer from realtech-vr.com and run it.

From what I read on the compatibility list section at github.com for Cxbx-Reloaded, Brute Force is not supported yet.

Not even really listed as a compatible game but one that has issues.

Other's have had it run further than you. However, it does not even get to a menu to be able to play it. 

https://github.com/Cxbx-Reloaded/game-compatibility/search?q=brute+force&type=Issues

Update: Other games are reported to have the same issue: IDirect3D::CreateDevice Failed

Conclusion

Cxbx-Reloaded is not ready to run Xbox games.  A few work but not every one.

• 7 months later...
  • 4 months later...