OGXbox.com

Need Full XEnium Flash Memory Dump

KenMoe

i uploaded the Xenium OS v2.3.0 recovery.bin file in the root of the E drive.

I then selected Recovery from the Xenium OS v2.3.1 main menu and answered Yes when prompted if I really wanted to go into recovery mode. 

I thought I'd killed it.

The screen goes blank, the front panel LED color changes to amber, then it flashes amber a few times then starts Flashing Red and Green. FRAG I thought, damn! However, there is no green eject ring/console reset/green again/console reset/eject ring flashes red and green though of the normal hardware error FRAG.  The multi-color LED on the Xenium changes colors several times and finally the console powers down.  Upon reboot (powering the console on again), the new (well old) "Welcome to Xenium OS v2.3.0!" message is displayed before the main menu appears.

This version of the Xenium OS also has -A printed at the end of the name of the first BIOS listed in the Launch Menu.

• Like 2

Recovery cromwell has a unusual resolution so it may have been the video adaptor/monitor.

Good thing you waited for it to finish. Orange LED is normal so looks like it was doing its thing but just wasnt being displayed.

Worst case if it bricked, you could recover it with xenium-tools.

Shame about 2.3.0. Did you try removing and reflashing that bios?

4 minutes ago, Ryzee119 said:

Shame about 2.3.0. Did you try removing and reflashing that bios?

Yes, I removed it.  The one BIOS that remained did not have -A in it's name.  I added a new BIOS and named it.  It was listed first in the Launch menu and had the -A added to the name I gave it.  I even renamed the item to remove the -A and it reappears at the end of the new name. :(  Really looks more like a <b>-A (<b> = space character).

7 minutes ago, Ryzee119 said:

Recovery cromwell has a unusual resolution so it may have been the video adaptor/monitor.

I'm using the standard definition (composite) AV cable with my old standard definition 32" picture tube TV.  Not quite sure what resolution it is using to not be visible with that configuration.  However, my TV is showing signs of vertical foldover at the top of the screen.  I can't see the top one to two inches of the screen.  It's folded on top of the visible picture area in a set of stretched  scan lines whose image is mirrored across the next several inches of the screen.  The vertical output circuitry probably has a dead electrolytic cap in the charge pump that generates the high voltage spike that returns the beam to the top of the screen. The beam isn't getting to the top before the picture starts to be displayed.

Similar to v1.6 Xboxes with bulging/leaking caps near the CPU heatsink and PSU connector that cause power on and video output problems. This TV most likely has its own bad capacitor problem.

I really need to try connecting the Xbox to my newer LCD HDTV but it's in a different room.

Yes, the Xenium I have is installed on a v1.6 console with an early version of the SPICE solderless adapter.  It has no plastic guide of later versions to make sure the spring contacts are aligned with the correct via points on the motherboard.  Connections aren't too reliable with this early adapter version.  Not like teamxodus showed in their video - spice.wmv

I really need to get a few of chimericsystems.com's 1.6 LPC rebuild boards to do a more reliable pin header instead of this touchy solderless install.

7 hours ago, KenMoe said:

Thanks KaosEngineer, I really appreciate it. Is this the orginal dump with 2.3.0, or after you reflashed with 2.3.1?

The flash.bin in the archive has Xenium OS v2.3.1 installed.  The two Evolution-X BIOSes are the same even though named differently in the two banks - m8_16.bin.  I've not checked to see if it's M8 or M8plus for a 1.6 console.  From the filename, I'd say it's simply M8, not M8plus.

Looking through the dump, it looks like the Xenium OS is based on on-time.com's RTTarget-32 v4.0 Core Real-time Operating System.

• Like 2

The two BIOSes added to the XeniumOS v2.3.1's Launch items in the 2MB dump, flash.bin, are Evolution-X M8 for a v1.6 console.

Evolution-X M8_16.bin MD5hash = B6FE3D5CF9DF635CBC4E48FBE2B469F1

This matches the MD5 hash for the unpatched - as distributed - version from xbins FTP server. 

SideNote: 

Evolution-X M8plus_16.bin  MD5hash = 58B8782501983725F984499620CA342B

The version of M8plus_16 on the HeXEn 2018 disk has a different MD5 hash since it has been modified with EVTool v1.0.9 to apply the latest LBA48 patch to work with XBPartitioner v1.3 for huge (>500GB) hard drives that require their extended partition(s) to use 64KB cluster allocation and has the DVD drive check disabled. Not that this BIOS has anything to do with the flash.bin file dumped from the Xenium modchip.

• 2 weeks later...

Does the -A not designate the default bios? I'll have to double check that to be the case (i.e. install the chip and test.)

Note: I realize that's not the best "flag" but, it's what I assumed when I was playing around in the OS the other day (v2.3.1.)

Edited by Natetronn
ETA

• 2 months later...

Hey Guys I don't know if someone is still looking for this but I got a xenium gold 24k.

I could share the dump but actually I can't get it back to live, the box does reboots, frag and the chip led is red and never goes blue

I found a guide how to install it properly but didn't find any guide how to use it after install

a user guide with the switch position, how to get in the chip menu, if exist how to flash/read it outside the box or how to use the recovery mode

Even the install guide I had to use the xenium ice one, it looks like this chip didn't made it to the market.

I really would like to make it live again, someone help please

Nice, as I said it would be a pleasure to send you a backup as soon as it will live again

Here is some pics of the install, all LEDs light up on boot but the LAD1 don't stay, it flash like the rgh led of a 360 and stay off after

Last installed 10 years back, broke the LAD1 leg but it still worked back then

IMG_20200122_194851.jpg

IMG_20200122_194209.jpg

IMG_20200122_194154.jpg

Edit : Should I try an alternate LAD1 point?

Edited by Bob_the_vampire

I am taking it that Xbox was working before the mod-chip install

What came up on the screen when you tried it with the chip?

Also what is the led on the Mod-chip doing?

And what happens if you put the D0 wire to ground with and without the chip on the board?

Cheers

SS Dave

Those that can Hard-Mod. Those that can't Soft-Mod.

On having a closer look at the LPC rebuild work there is 3 things that I would like to see fixed

1st the D0 wire could possibility be shorting the the trace next to it just trim it a bit shorter'

2 in the red rectangle the 3 points could be shorting to the trace running next to them. Fix remove some of the solder.

3rd in the red circle the same as above with the same fix.

IMG_20200122_212454.thumb.jpg.851a1e5d07f63009cbcecd378cd42889.jpg.807bc708d288dd96f4926145d48b5f39.jpg

Cheers

SS Dave

Those that can Hard-Mod. Those that can't Soft-Mod.

So I've done the fix like you asked the four points was more camera angle then solder over the board but I fixed it anyway.

For the test, both Xbox boot well when the chip ain't connected,

both have red steady led on the modchip when installed (tested with switch in both positions) and the box reboots twice and frag

And the D0 to GND test doing reboots and frag on the board I tested (LPC rebuild with header)

Didn't done this test on the solderless kit

IMG_20200123_200554.jpg