OGXbox.com

Capacitor Issues

pmp174

I bought a used Xbox. It seems to be functioning. I removed the clock capacitor. However I found these capacitors to be slightly corroded. I cleaned it lightly with Isopropyl alcohol. (Not sure if that was a good idea). What should I do? Should I replace these capacitors. I believe this is a 1.2 revision. It was made Oct 2003. So not sure. By the way let that be known in case it hasn't happened to anyone. That other capacitors may be starting to go bad.

689444039.png

Yes those Cap's need to be replaced there about to explode.

And yes it happens to heaps if not all of electronic's. I have been replacing  faulty caps for as long as I can remember.

Isopropyl Alcohol is safe to clean the PCB with the higher the percentage the better(like a good scotch).

SS Dave

Those who can hard-mod, Those who can’t soft-mod.

3 hours ago, SS_Dave said:

Yes those Cap's need to be replaced there about to explode.

And yes it happens to heaps if not all of electronic's. I have been replacing  faulty caps for as long as I can remember.

Isopropyl Alcohol is safe to clean the PCB with the higher the percentage the better(like a good scotch).

SS Dave

Do you happen to know what kinds of capacitor of Xboxes use? Any vid with info on this?

The reason that the caps fail is talked about in this WIKI

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor_plague

As for what Cap's there is plenty of debates online regarding brands to use.

But for me I use low ESR style caps in my repairs and I have not had any problems.

SS Dave      

• 1 month later...

hi there!

the same caps went bad on my xbox v 1.2. they look identical to yours and i'm going to replace them soon. the 3 caps are 6.3v 3300uf Nichicon HM (10x25mm).

I ordered these for replacement, since they are available in my region: Yageo SC006M3300B5S-1325 / 3300 µF 6.3 V (13x25mm).

as you can see, the yageos are slightly bigger, but i'm pretty sure this shoud be no issue....

hope this helps!

greetings

bot_1

• 2 weeks later...
17 hours ago, Kali Karnage said:

Damn that looks rough. I guess i got lucky with my 1.4. Havent had any caps leak and i got a nichicon clock cap. 

Yet.

All Cap's made in the last 30+ years are going to fail and some will also leak. Blame cheap manufacturing and poor copy's of the capacitor's original design .

There is case's of the gold clock cap that your Xbox has and the version 1.6 has now leaking .

SS Dave

Those that can Hard-Mod. Those that can't Soft-Mod.

On 12/11/2019 at 10:29 AM, bot_1 said:

hi there!

the same caps went bad on my xbox v 1.2. they look identical to yours and i'm going to replace them soon. the 3 caps are 6.3v 3300uf Nichicon HM (10x25mm).

I ordered these for replacement, since they are available in my region: Yageo SC006M3300B5S-1325 / 3300 µF 6.3 V (13x25mm).

as you can see, the yageos are slightly bigger, but i'm pretty sure this shoud be no issue....

hope this helps!

greetings

bot_1

The nichicon 6.3Vdc HM series caps have a much higher rated ripple current 3000 mA versus 1700 mA and a lower ESR 0.011 Ohms instead of 0.035 Ohms of the Yaego's.  Rated lifetime of the nichicons however is only 2000 hours.  There are other ultra-low ESR caps with up to 10,000 hour lifetime ratings.

https://www.nichicon.co.jp/english/products/pdf/e-hm.pdf

P.S. The Yaego's will most likely work but at a lower than rated life expectancy.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/24/2019 at 2:26 AM, KaosEngineer said:

The nichicon 6.3Vdc HM series caps have a much higher rated ripple current 3000 mA versus 1700 mA and a lower ESR 0.011 Ohms instead of 0.035 Ohms of the Yaego's.  Rate lifetime of the nichicons however is only 2000 hours.  There are other ultra-low ESR caps with up to 10,000 hour lifetime ratings.

https://www.nichicon.co.jp/english/products/pdf/e-hm.pdf

P.S. The Yaego's will most likely work but at a lower than rated life expectancy.

hi there kaosengineer!

thanks for the reply and your insights! welp, didn't even know i had to look at ripple current and ESR as well. :/ as you can tell, i am by no means an expert, when it comes to caps...

the main reason i ordered the yageos is, that they were the only ones available in the store i ordered...

i replaced the caps today and tested the console for about two hours. it works well so far, no funny smell, no cracking heard from inside the housing. so, i think i'm good for now. 🙂   

is there a way to determine the approx. lifespan in regards of the lower ripple current and ESR?

greetings

bot_1

14 hours ago, bot_1 said:

is there a way to determine the approx. lifespan in regards of the lower ripple current and ESR?

I don't know but I found this article on the Internet:

https://www.powerelectronictips.com/choosing-capacitor-ripple-current-capability-matters-farads/

It talks about the how the ripple current rating and ESR value affect the life expectancy of a capacitor.

... At the least, the component lifetime may be affected according to the Arrhenius Law, which states that lifetime is reduced by half for every 10°C increase in operating temperature. ...

hey kaos!

thanks a lot for the background-info! i've read the article but i have to admit i have a very limited/basic understanding of physics (and electronics), and the fact that english is not my native language doesn't contribute much to my understanding. :D

nevertheless, i will keep your tip in mind. as a precaution, i'll expect a lower lifespan than advertised. i will defintely open my xbox up from time to time to inspect the caps and check for leakages...

greetings!

bot_1