OGXbox.com

Red/Orange Flash After Capacitor Fix.

KPlanet

I'm not really an electronics guy, so bear with me here.

1.6 box, with a DuoX2 chip in it from about 15 years ago. One day a couple of months ago it was DOA, opened it up and the 5 capacitors were shot. Replaced them, with my godawful soldering skills, and it booted up and worked for about 3 minutes, loaded an emulator, then it froze, rebooted, and it powercycles twice and is flashing red/orange.

Did I accidently fry something, or jump a connection where I shouldn't have, or cook something during the desoldering (PITA, me not being an electronics guy) or soldering? Is there spots i can look to diagnose a possible issue?

What make and model of hard drive?

Is it making noise. IE can you here it working head moving disk spinning?

Have you tried to boot a DVD install disk?

And make sure if the DuoX2 chip has a small switch on the outer edge that it is toward the center on the chip.

And I will top it of with some pic's of both sides of the mother board would help.

SS Dave

Those who can hard-mod, Those who can’t soft-mod.  

My apologies if the photos are terrible, I'm not a real good cellphone photog either.

The hard drive and fan both spin up during the power cycle, and stay on during the flashing.

I have not tried a boot disk, I am not really familiar with the whole process yet, but i also cannot open the disk drive, not sure it its due to the issue at hand, but it's also sticky and requires a paperclip assist sometimes.

IMG_20191030_175151683.jpg

IMG_20191030_175511921.jpg

IMG_20191030_175519530.jpg

IMG_20191030_175650725.jpg

IMG_20191030_180758778.jpg

IMG_20191030_180808817.jpg

IMG_20191030_180823374.jpg

IMG_20191030_180830860.jpg

Edited by KPlanet
More info

Hi KPlanet

Your soldering is better that a lot of other work I have seen there is a couple of things that I would re-solder.

2046861481_IMG1.thumb.jpg.5c6538e761e8ac69e8d233dde5286167.jpg

The 2 spots that are circled look like dry joints you need to either remove the solder and reapply fresh solder or use some flux paste and reheat them.

They are data from the mod-chip.

350065668_IMG2.thumb.jpg.899f3500e2a4a5d993f9e6ae09c61218.jpg

In this pic you need more heat and flux paste but that's just me been picky

424751613_IMG3.thumb.jpg.d6bfca172d99befed202d2d9729cb514.jpg

Here I would re-solder the pins inside the box just be carefull as the solder next to P7R2 is a link and looks like a solder blob and you may have to put a short bit of wire in it place.

And just above the one of the blue wire is that a scratch and damage to the traces.

With the hard drive the WD drives around that age are not the quietest while working so be side the spinning sound can you hard any other sounds?

With the DVD drive it probably needs a new loading belt don't worry to much about it.

When you reassemble the Xbox make sure that the 40 way cable is fully plugged in and the multi way power plug on the DVD is plugged in as well as the hard drive power.

Double check the AV plug is in properly as well.

SS Dave

Those who can Hard-Mod, Those who can't Soft-Mod.

I can definitely hear and feel the write arm fidgeting about inside. I can't tell if the disk drive is going as I managed to get my disc out before the system ate it. I'll look into the resoldering tomorrow and report back.

What could possibly explain the system going kaput in the middle of running though?

I'm losing hope here. Tried resoldering the capacitors as best I can, haven't touched the chip yet though.

It's still doing the same thing, two cycles, then on the third red/orange, I can hear and feel the hard drive spinning and writing. Is this thing just proper pooched at this point?

The solder work on the caps is not the problem.

I would at least solder the top pins of the mod chip as the ones I marked look like they have developed a bad joint so do the ones in the 1st pic and give it a go.

Also move the switch back and forward 5 or 6 times.

Try that and get back to me.

SS Dave  

Those who can hard-mod, Those who can’t soft-mod.  

• 2 weeks later...