OGXbox.com

Alternatives To Coinops ?

Danthuyer

Hey all - My original plan for my emu box was to leverage XBMC Emustation by Rocky 5 however it was super clunky .... So after a while I stumbled across Coinops and its a pretty good looking piece of kit and ive got it up and running no worries ..... however I am sure there are prettier and better front ends out there and or packages

Here is another example I have seen > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrZ27eCwpLM 

So what do you recommend and why ??

There are many different releases from the CoinOPS Project:

CoinOPS 6, 7, 8 - Massive, GEMS, Lite, Standalone, etc - so many different releases with these.
Dragon
HyperVISION 5, 6
Premium NINJA - Gold, Massive, Lite and several NINJA add-on packs.
Premium 8
VISION 5

I believe Premium NINJA is the latest of their releases. 😕

The YouTube video you linked to uses UnleashX with the XvGM (Xbox video Game Museum) skin along with the Playstation emulator PCSXBOX 22b5 to run Vigilante 8.  There are many other emulators as you can see from the menu listing they scrolled through to get down to the Playstation emulator. 

It's available for download using a torrent from OGXbox.com (a 38.1GB download) or the latest release with many updates applied to the v1.1.1 release from CB-Games' google drive.  (He's still working on updates to the Xbox letter N game videos; therefore, it's currently not available from the google drive repository.)

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Danthuyer said:

Hey all - My original plan for my emu box was to leverage XBMC Emustation by Rocky 5 however it was super clunky .... So after a while I stumbled across Coinops and its a pretty good looking piece of kit and ive got it up and running no worries ..... however I am sure there are prettier and better front ends out there and or packages

Here is another example I have seen > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrZ27eCwpLM 

So what do you recommend and why ??

Emustation, clunky?? In what way?? I have it on one of my boxes, It nice and smooth and runs fine.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, nikeymikey said:

Emustation, clunky?? In what way?? I have it on one of my boxes, It nice and smooth and runs fine.

The N64 surrel.ini files would always error on scan and are from another person package file (earthworm2012 or something similar) so when it errors trying to fix it was a pain in the butt, I could only really ever get genesis games working easily on this platform. 

Emustation seems very popular these days, but I honestly haven't tried it. It looks nice, but everything seems pre-configured. Like the N64 issue you mentioned.

A lot of fun I have on these old Xbox's is tailoring each front-end/dashboard to suit a specific system. Coinops looks great, but doesn't leave much room for modification either. Plus, it's rather slow to start games compared to stand-alone emulators.

For a modern look, I'd go XBMC Origins. Looks great, and you can always improve or mod the theme as you like it.

Also, UnleashX is my favorite for just building a theme from scratch. And its very easy to build/theme a menu to launch emulators. If you like CoinOps, Final Burn Legends has a very similar style for 2D Arcade games. And its very fast to load.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, crushingyourhead said:

Emustation seems very popular these days, but I honestly haven't tried it. It looks nice, but everything seems pre-configured. Like the N64 issue you mentioned.

A lot of fun I have on these old Xbox's is tailoring each front-end/dashboard to suit a specific system. Coinops looks great, but doesn't leave much room for modification either. Plus, it's rather slow to start games compared to stand-alone emulators.

For a modern look, I'd go XBMC Origins. Looks great, and you can always improve or mod the theme as you like it.

Also, UnleashX is my favorite for just building a theme from scratch. And its very easy to build/theme a menu to launch emulators. If you like CoinOps, Final Burn Legends has a very similar style for 2D Arcade games. And its very fast to load.

XBMC Origins does look nice but its too much like XBone for my liking - Ive found a skin for unleashX that I like and im just going a tweaking a few things on it to taylor it for me (if only I could load the original that would be nice but i get a funky error message in UXArchitect)

Ive tried FB Legends a while ago .. i might load that up again soon once ive sorted a few things out.

7 hours ago, Danthuyer said:

The N64 surrel.ini files would always error on scan and are from another person package file (earthworm2012 or something similar) so when it errors trying to fix it was a pain in the butt, I could only really ever get genesis games working easily on this platform. 

I would just go ahead and re download the earthworm James pack again and do a clean install of the files. I use that very pack and it works perfectly. It’s the best set of N64 roms for the Xbox.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, nikeymikey said:

I would just go ahead and re download the earthworm James pack again and do a clean install of the files. I use that very pack and it works perfectly. It’s the best set of N64 roms for the Xbox.

I may go back to it and try getting it working again - however to be honest coinops has my attention now so i will stick with that .....

I also had a bit of trouble finding earthworm packs .... :(

59 minutes ago, Danthuyer said:

I may go back to it and try getting it working again - however to be honest coinops has my attention now so i will stick with that .....

I also had a bit of trouble finding earthworm packs .... :(

I’ve been messing abit with CoinOPS last night. Game losing was extremely slow at first but that was fixed by disabling a certain option in the settings. Only thing is It seems quite hard to be able to customise it in anyway at all and to add further emus/games. 

22 minutes ago, nikeymikey said:

I’ve been messing abit with CoinOPS last night. Game losing was extremely slow at first but that was fixed by disabling a certain option in the settings. Only thing is It seems quite hard to be able to customise it in anyway at all and to add further emus/games. 

agreed it is a little annoying at times that the pre packaged versions arent too easy to configure. I downloaded the lite version and had many troubles getting the roms to be recognised and loaded :( 

I have used CO8 R5 and CO8 Massive and both have been fine - Im trying the ninja and other versions now to see how they go

• Like 1

On 10/30/2019 at 7:15 PM, KaosEngineer said:

There are many different releases from the CoinOPS Project:

CoinOPS 6, 7, 8 - Massive, GEMS, Lite, Standalone, etc - so many different releases with these.
Dragon
HyperVISION 5, 6
Premium NINJA - Gold, Massive, Lite and several NINJA add-on packs.
Premium 8
VISION 5

I believe Premium NINJA is the latest of their releases. 😕

The YouTube video you linked to uses UnleashX with the XvGM (Xbox video Game Museum) skin along with the Playstation emulator PCSXBOX 22b5 to run Vigilante 8.  There are many other emulators as you can see from the menu listing they scrolled through to get down to the Playstation emulator. 

It's available for download using a torrent from OGXbox.com (a 38.1GB download) or the latest release with many updates applied to the v1.1.1 release from CB-Games' google drive.  (He's still working on updates to the Xbox letter N game videos; therefore, it's currently not available from the google drive repository.)

@KaosEngineer - there are so many versions of coinops ! .... which is the latest and greatest ? ive got eh CO8 massive which is 84GB and also R5 standalone and Gems, whixh are the other ones worth getting?

Thanks also for the tip on vision i got version 6 and it looks cool with its menu system

On 10/30/2019 at 4:15 PM, KaosEngineer said:

It's available for download using a torrent from OGXbox.com (a 38.1GB download)

14 hours ago, irlandez said:

Bro, but no one gives it away, no siders.

very well, I downloaded, I will help with the distribution. I will stay and support the distribution of files as long as possible. thanks

Edited by irlandez

15 hours ago, irlandez said:

Bro, but no one gives it away, no siders.

I suggest downloading it from the google drive repository - many updates since the torrent version are included in it.  However, it is missing the Xbox letter "N" named game previews.  I think that's one of the largest sets of previews being updated and not yet finished.  

1 hour ago, Danthuyer said:

@KaosEngineer - there are so many versions of coinops ! .... which is the latest and greatest ? ive got eh CO8 massive which is 84GB and also R5 standalone and Gems, whixh are the other ones worth getting?

Thanks also for the tip on vision i got version 6 and it looks cool with its menu system

I'm not exactly sure which of the many versions: CoinOPS 6, 7, 8 - Lite, Gold, Massive; HyperVision, Premium, NINJA, Premium NINJA is the best.  It's so confusing with all the releases and I find little info describing the particulars about each.

• Like 1

Hi nikeymikey

I would like a copy to give a go if you could send me link please

Cheers

SS Dave    

Those who can hard-mod, Those who can’t soft-mod. 

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...