OGXbox.com

OpenXEnium - 'new' Modchip

Ryzee119

Hi all,

Like I said in the new member introduction, I recently bought an old original Xbox :)
It's a 1.1 version and I've done some work on it : remove clock capacitor, clean the motherboard, add new thermal grease and so on ...
I was not sure about the hack methods, so I choose to install the Open Xenium modchip but now I don't know what I've to do next :D

I wish to remove the old hard drive and replace it with a ssd with an IDE/SATA startech adapter.

From what I've read, first I need to save the actual eeprom settings (with the lock key), am I right ?
After that, I need to install a new bios into one the bank of the modchip, don't I ?
Which bios can I install ?
And how can I change the hard drive ? Is it possible to remove the original hard drive, replace it by the new one and just format it with the modchip tools ?
The final step I think is to install a new dashboard (like Evox) ?

If the old drive is a stock drive just replace with a new hard drive and you don't need to lock it or worry about the eeprom as there is no Xbox Live and the new version of live will work with a unlocked hard drive also don't worry about nulling the hdd key.

and you are better off not using the open xenium format tool unless you have fitted a 120 gig HDD.

You will need a install disk to setup  the new drive The most common is Hexen but i use Slayers 2.7 as hexen has pi$$ed me off with it's changing the dash for no reason.

What size hard drive are you looking at using?

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

1 hour ago, Lupus said:

Hi all,

Like I said in the new member introduction, I recently bought an old original Xbox :)
It's a 1.1 version and I've done some work on it : remove clock capacitor, clean the motherboard, add new thermal grease and so on ...
I was not sure about the hack methods, so I choose to install the Open Xenium modchip but now I don't know what I've to do next :D

I wish to remove the old hard drive and replace it with a ssd with an IDE/SATA startech adapter.

From what I've read, first I need to save the actual eeprom settings (with the lock key), am I right ?
After that, I need to install a new bios into one the bank of the modchip, don't I ?
Which bios can I install ?
And how can I change the hard drive ? Is it possible to remove the original hard drive, replace it by the new one and just format it with the modchip tools ?
The final step I think is to install a new dashboard (like Evox) ?

Hi, if you want to watch a few how to’s on YouTube checkout these 2 channels. https://www.youtube.com/c/MrMario2011  & https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA8cbDXjn-6ZkKE0f4JXDfg

Dash wise checkout Rocky5’s channel for either Emustation or XBMC4Gamers as these are the most recent https://www.youtube.com/user/JCRocky5

7 minutes ago, Lupus said:

Indeed, the old drive is the stock drive.

So I just need to use the Slayers 2.7 install disc to setup the new drive ans install a new dashboard ?

And before that do I need to change something with the bios file(s) ?

What bios have you loaded to your modchip? You want one that enables F & G or 6 & 7.

if it’s a sata drive you will need an adaptor and 80 wire ide cable.

15 minutes ago, Lupus said:

Indeed, the old drive is the stock drive.

So I just need to use the Slayers 2.7 install disc to setup the new drive ans install a new dashboard ?

And before that do I need to change something with the bios file(s) ?

I have  a preference to the X2-5035.67 or the IND-5004.67 bios as both support 2tb hard drives and you can set the default dash in a config file on the hard drive.

iND-BiOS.5004.67.bin

x2.5035.67.bin

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

Well, until now I have no bios loaded on the modchip, when I start the console I only see the Xenium screen (2.3.1)

And yes, I already own a 480 Gb sata drive, a startec adapter and a 80 wires ide cable.

The first thing to do would be to set up a new bios right ? If yes which one ?

You can fit both on the Open Xenium

I find it easier to use a USB with a adaptor to transfer the files

Copy the 2 bios files to any empty usb.

1 select  launch menu

2 select add a new item

3 select Flash

4 select the dive just above X,Y,Z in my case it was H drive

5 select the bios file and follow the prompts.

6 now repeat for the next bios.

Cheers

SS Dave

Hi all, after resoldering the D0 point, it's finally ok !

But I think there is someting strange : if I put more than 1 bios, the instant boot setting isn't working.

I've made the test with 1 bios (ok), 2 bios (ko) & 3 bios (ko) even after (re)choosing the default bios in Launch Menu.

And the first bios uploaded has always "-A" on his name, something related to default ?

2 hours ago, Lupus said:

Hi all, after resoldering the D0 point, it's finally ok !

But I think there is someting strange : if I put more than 1 bios, the instant boot setting isn't working.

I've made the test with 1 bios (ok), 2 bios (ko) & 3 bios (ko) even after (re)choosing the default bios in Launch Menu.

And the first bios uploaded has always "-A" on his name, something related to default ?

The "-A" is a bug that has been in the Xenium chip since version 1.1 firmware.

The Instant boot works for me you just select which BIOS you want as the instant boot in the launch menu.

If you power on with the eject button it brings up the main menu and the power button should select the bios set as default.

On my Open Xenium I have Instant boot on and quick boot off.

Cheers

SS Dave

I have since worked out that the "-A' thing is part of the 'quick boot' feature. It indicates what button to mash during bootup to boot that bios. You can change it to -B or -X etc.

This is only used when Quick boot is enabled but unforuntaely it shows the '-LETTER' thing either way which is annoying

The instant boot feature is more useful imo. Set a bios as your 'default', and enable instant boot. From that point on, the power button will boot that BIOS, and the eject will boot XeniumOS :)

• Like 1

Hi Ryzee119,

You 've done an amazing job on the Open Xenium chip !

I 've still a question about it : I've disabled the quick boot and just let instant boot. After that I've set up Ind Bios 5004 first (and default) and Xecuter2 5035 (2nd).

Everytime I've done this, my first bios had had the "-A" at the end at the name. Not a big deal but strange no ?

And anoter thing about the Ind bios : If I try to launch the bios from the Xenium Os Menu, it's not working (but the Xecuter2 bios can be launch from the Xenium Os menu). But it's allright when I boot the Xbox, the right bios is launched.

Not a big deal too, but I try to understand what's going on :)

20 minutes ago, Lupus said:

Hi Ryzee119,

You 've done an amazing job on the Open Xenium chip !

I 've still a question about it : I've disabled the quick boot and just let instant boot. After that I've set up Ind Bios 5004 first (and default) and Xecuter2 5035 (2nd).

Everytime I've done this, my first bios had had the "-A" at the end at the name. Not a big deal but strange no ?

And anoter thing about the Ind bios : If I try to launch the bios from the Xenium Os Menu, it's not working (but the Xecuter2 bios can be launch from the Xenium Os menu). But it's allright when I boot the Xbox, the right bios is launched.

Not a big deal too, but I try to understand what's going on :)

Read Ryzee’s post directly above yours regarding “A”, it is a quick boot feature and tells you which button to press for each bios.

if you disable instant boot do you still have the same issue regarding ind-bios?

Edited by Ging3rguy

• 8 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Looks like it does exactly what it is supposed to do.

The Xenium OS can drive it and XBMC-based replacement dashboards when  the LCD is enabled.

The setting in XBMC or its variants should remain active/enabled the next time you run it. Thus, displayiing info on the LCD.  You should not have to enter the Settings menu each time you run the application to enable the LCD display.

Once the game runs, nothing is driving the chip to display any new information.

That is, unless you connect the LPC signals SDA (pin 14) and SCL (pin 13) to the SPI2PAR2019.  The LCD should then show the real-time temps of the CPU and ambient air temperature inside the case by the temperature sensor on the motherboard.  There is no GPU temperature sensor.  Some software mislabeled the second temperature as GPU temp.  It is not.

• Thanks 1

Check the schematic that shows all of the connections.  There are two additional wires to connect from the Xbox's LPC Debug port to the SPI2PAR2019 if you wish to show real-tiime fan speed %, CPU and motherboard temps while playing a game.

Ryzee119/spi2par2019: Open source recreation of the spi2par, a board that allowed you to use HD44780 compliant LCDs on the Xenium modchip for the OG Xbox (github.com)

Look at the figure under the Installation section of the README.md document.  The  two wires noted as (optional) on the left side of the figure.

Edit: From the video, I guess you have those two wires connected.  I don't have one of these adapters and LCDs installed.  Is there an option to the sketch that gets installed to the Arduino to enable the display of the temps and fan speed percentage?

Edit2: From the github repository for spi2par2019, the dot ino file, it looks like the fan and temp sensor output will be not be displayed until the Xbox's SMbus is idle (the SDA and SCL lines) for longer than 2 seconds and the modchip's SPI bus to the LCD idle for more than 10 seconds.

/* Read data from Xbox System Management Bus */
  //Check that i2cBus is free, it has been atleast 2 seconds since last call,
  //and the SPI Bus has been idle for >10 seconds (i.e in a game or app that doesnt support LCD)
  if (i2cBusy() == 0 &&
      (millis() - SMBusTimer)   > 2000 &&
      (millis() - SPIIdleTimer) > 10000){ 

char rxBuffer[20];    //Raw data received from
  • Thanks 1