OGXbox.com

OpenXEnium - 'new' Modchip

Ryzee119

I like to repair almost anything that has electricity running through it, probably just like you guys. I love to solder tiny things and I think I can build a Open Xenium as well. But building a chip from scratch... I already like to see what guys like bluemeanie23 do building gerber files from existing boards and I think that's a good place to start. But you also need to be a programmer to build stuff like this and thats a step to far for me. If there was some 101 I would probably follow it XD I'm in my thirties so still not old enough to learn ;)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

hello @Ryzee119, i have a question.

i am trying to program a openxenium i made, with my Lattice programmer.

but i get the following error, do you have any idea what could be wrong ?

--------------Line41--------------:
SDR 18   TDI(3FFFD)
Expected TDO(00001)
Expected MASK(00003)
Received TDO(3FFFC)
Bits Error 0001: Expected: 1 Received: 0
01/03/20 07:34:30  File e:\openxenium.svf: fail at line#:41(Check the log file for further details)

i normaly also program the Aladdin chips with this one, and i modified it so it gives the 3.3v on the vcc

The white light also comes on on the chip, and it tries to program it but fails.

Hope you can help me, and thanks for all your hard work !

Robbert

30 minutes ago, TEK Nemesis said:

What does the failure log say?

It only says the following:

--------------Line41--------------:
SDR 18   TDI(3FFFD)
Expected TDO(00001)
Expected MASK(00003)
Received TDO(3FFFC)
Bits Error 0001: Expected: 1 Received: 0
01/03/20 07:34:30  File e:\openxenium.svf: fail at line#:41(Check the log file for further details)

I first thought i had to switch TDO and TDI, but than it gives me an error it cant find the configration.
So it sees the  chip, but for some reason it will not program it.

I saw a video on youtube they programmed the CPLD in the xbox, but thats not necessary right ?

I got the Xilinx programmer yesterday and it is working now !

the only downside is, it doesn’t supply the needed 3,3v to the chip. So to program the cpld I need to have it in the Xbox.

i wonder if I can modify it the same way like my lattice programmer.

on the board I search for a 3,3v pin and connect it to the VCC. And a extra wire to the ground strip around the board.

this way it will supply the voltage to the chip and can be programmed outside the Xbox.

just need to program the flash inside still the Xbox 

Edited by Nextria

5 minutes ago, Ryzee119 said:

@Nextria

thats awesome. Glad to hear!

I powered mine using a bench supply, but if you can pull a 3.3v supply from the programmer that would be handy.

Good luck with your builds! Share some photos too 😋

I will do that, i hope I finish them tonight and maybe look in to modifying the programmer.

Edited by Nextria

• 2 weeks later...

Well it took me a little bit longer because of the flue and other things.

I opened up the programmer and found a 3.3V point, soldered a wire to VCC (Vref) and now can program 
without the need of and external power supply. 

I want to make a small switch on the side so I can turn it off and on. but will do this another time, (have to get ready to move next month)

Made some pictures if anyone is interested, :)

IMG_3904.jpg

IMG_3902.jpg

IMG_3903.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys, first time poster here but I've been a member a little while and reading lots and found the forum to be super. I'm hoping to build a few OpenXenium in the near future. In the mean time I've installed one I bought on eBay it was excellent so I have since ordered 3 more which are on the way. I also managed to get my hands on an original Xenium ice modchip which I just finished installing and updating to latest Xenium OS 2.3.1.

I used Ryzee's xenium-tools to pull the raw 2mb flash.bin from the original Xenium ice, I've installed and tested it on my OpenXenium and it works perfectly. I've uploaded it here for those who wish to use a full 2mb flash.bin to write the chips flash which from what I've read offers some advantages over flashing the XeniumOS recovery.bin 

I hope its of some use to people.

OpenXenium.jpg

flash.bin

• Like 3