OGXbox.com

OpenXEnium - 'new' Modchip

Ryzee119

Hi all,

Over the past few months I have painstakely reverse engineered the Team Xodus Xenium modchip's CPLD and written a complete open source replacement.

I call it OpenXenium.

https://github.com/Ryzee119/OpenXenium

It has full support for XeniumOS and its features. Repo will list them.

The Xenium CPLD is normally read protected to prevent clones. This project did not attempt to break that protection, instead I determined the behavioral properties of the CPLD to write my own VHDL source code.

Check the repo out! there is a few xenium related tools that may even help people with a genuine Xenium!

Hopefully this will help with LPC related CPLD projects people may have in mind too.

Enjoy!

Ryan

20191018_212415.jpg

IMG_20191030_132805.jpg

• Like 10
  • Thanks 5

Wow you really can't seem to stop to amaze me! I didn't even lift a finger for these projects but every day I refresh the pages here (and on twitter)  to see update from you. I hope you also sell these in the future. I already have an xecuter xbox so now it's time for a Ryan xbox with Open Xenium, HDMI and the wireless controllers. Thank you so much you make my hobby so much better!

• Like 2

There were so many chips out there and Xecuter had a really good name. Xenium's were really good as well and from what I remembered there were only 3/4 top notch chips. The only reason I went with the Xecuter is because of the nice front panel that clicked on the xbox and that I could see clearly I could go onto Live or not. They were just there with really nice solutions and mods. But Ryan didn't choose the Xenium for nothing it had a good reputation. And lets be honest back in the day no one wanted  a clone and now no one can wait for his (me included). What do you really need an Xecuter for these days when we finally have something thats fantastic and really better then these Aladdins.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, KunfuMunky said:

But Ryan didn't choose the Xenium for nothing it had a good reputation

Honestly i have never used a X3 but the modchip has alot of complexity in the hardware that i feel doeasnt add value. 

Separate eeprom, separate flash chip, external buttons etc. I can understand why they are there but xenium doesnt need any of that and it works fine. It just makes development more expensive for me on top of actually having to buy one in the first place.

• Like 4

Just ordered a batch of boards to make.

Where specifically are you finding your flash chips?  I don't really see anyone currently selling the AM29LV160M, only the AM29LV160D based chips.

Edit:  I noticed your Digikey links specify the S29AL016J70TFI010 but wasn't sure if there really was much of a difference.

Edited by Alpha Disruptor

3 hours ago, Alpha Disruptor said:

Just ordered a batch of boards to make.

Where specifically are you finding your flash chips?  I don't really see anyone currently selling the AM29LV160M, only the AM29LV160D based chips.

Edit:  I noticed your Digikey links specify the S29AL016J70TFI010 but wasn't sure if there really was much of a difference.

the S29 chips work just fine... exactly the same specs as the AM29 (even same Dev ID and Manufacturer ID), makes me think that Cypress bought the IP to the chip and rebranded it

1 hour ago, nikeymikey said:

Lol looks like there's going to be a lot of these available!!! I believe N64Freak is also going to knock some up :)

lol... yeah I have no doubt that the market will be flooded with them..... I dont see any reason to make them in bulk because of that.

5 hours ago, Alpha Disruptor said:

I noticed your Digikey links specify the S29AL016J70TFI010 but wasn't sure if there really was much of a difference.

As Kekule mentioned the S29 flash chip pretty much identical to the am29 chip. Unbelievably  close so its almost like they just changed the model number and up revved the datasheet.

That was a good find! They have a specific flash sector configuration that XeniumOS takes advantage of so not any old flash chip will work.

You can find am29lv160mt if you look hard enough but no benefit. In fact probably worse. (Aging chip)

Edited by Ryzee119
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Kekule said:

the S29 chips work just fine... exactly the same specs as the AM29 (even same Dev ID and Manufacturer ID), makes me think that Cypress bought the IP to the chip and rebranded it

2 hours ago, Ryzee119 said:

As Kekule mentioned the S29 flash chip pretty much identical to the am29 chip. Unbelievably  close so its almost like they just changed the model number and up revved the datasheet.

That was a good find! They have a specific flash sector configuration that XeniumOS takes advantage of so not any old flash chip will work.

You can find am29lv160mt if you look hard enough but no benefit. In fact probably worse. (Aging chip)

That's what I was starting to think.  Just wanted to be sure, thanks.

The only AMD branded flash chips that I could find were of the AM29LV160D variety.  With them being new old-stock from 1998, I really didn't want to end up having to track those down.

Now I just need to wait for my 3D printer to be free so that I can start modelling LCD faceplates.  X3CPs while cool are still wayy too damned expensive.