OGXbox.com

Version 1.0/1.1 Flash Recovery

SS_Dave

I was playing with a different 007 Agent Under Fire game save hack and while flashing a new BIOS on a version 1.0 Xbox I flashed a 256k BIOS(STUPID I know).
Yep it was FRAGing afterwards now you can either fit a mod chip and be done with it or do a 3 wire flash recovery by following the instructions that can be found by working the Google on the interweb.

The instructions say 1 wire soldered to ground and the  other 2 get soldered to points on the bottom of the mother board(pain in the butt as you now have to remove the PCB again), Me been lazy and not wanting to remove the PCB again found an easy way to do the 3 wire trick. {pic 1}

You need a test lead with alligator clips both ends and a pin. {pic 2}

Clip the pin in one end and the other on the metal shield(you did leave the metal shield in didn't you)and the point of the pin is gently held on pin 1 and 2 of the TSOP chip. {pic 3}

Power on the Xbox and if all goes well your Xbox boots.

Remove the pin that's shorting the 2 pins to ground.

Now flash the correct 1024k (1 meg) BIOS.

If you don't like the idea of shorting the pins on the TSOP IC the points in the pic below show the same points on the top of the PCB and the bottom of the PCB. {pic 4}

1011399074_pic1.png.f134d34f24dd4db57f74efd3c7eb9930.png 9172722_pic2.thumb.jpg.6c8b45909a6c07a72fdc65a6b01180b3.jpg 850334645_pic3.jpg.26d3ec640130f038367144097c1731dc.jpg 1275914588_pic4.thumb.jpg.05df1e96773c83aa7e3f1807eb694bd4.jpg

1                                                                   2                                                                                 3                                                             4

Inside the box on lower right of pic 4 are the same points as in pic 1

On side note I did try a mod chip and with some BIOS's the Xbox booted but with no video out but the Xbox was still showing on my home network and I was still able to network in to the box.

SS Dave

Those who can hard-mod, Those who can’t soft-mod. 

Ps If you like it don't forget to say thanks and please give me any feedback good or bad!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...
On 6/5/2022 at 11:08 AM, billybob2010 said:

i tried the pin, but no luck

You may need to solder the wires as per the 3 wire pic that way you can select the different banks to try.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/6/2022 at 2:48 PM, SS_Dave said:

You may need to solder the wires as per the 3 wire pic that way you can select the different banks to try.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

Ok, so I gave this a go, having never soldered before, I bought a practice board and did a few tests first. However I tried doing this by eye, and the wire kept moving, and for now I gave up, the 19 hole has solder in it, so I need to remove that.

Silly question, does the wire go in the whole, or just has to touch the outer ring, and could I tape it instead?

56 minutes ago, billybob2010 said:

Ok, so I gave this a go, having never soldered before, I bought a practice board and did a few tests first. However I tried doing this by eye, and the wire kept moving, and for now I gave up, the 19 hole has solder in it, so I need to remove that.

Silly question, does the wire go in the whole, or just has to touch the outer ring, and could I tape it instead?

I have done it using tape before, it worked but i wouldn't recommend it. 

• 6 months later...

I would try the 3 wire trick 1st as flashing the onboard bios chip when is failed needs the actual chip attaching to a external programmer.  Fitting the mod chip is the easiest way to fix it.

Cheers

SS Dave

7 hours ago, my2k2zx2 said:

Nope, the 3 wire trick didnt change things, still did the 3 boot frag.

Now to figure out how to update this mod chip as the console has a dead dvd drive.  I'm all new to this, never owned an xbox before.

What is the mod chip? can you upload a pic to a file share and add the link here.

Cheers

SS Dave

I am assuming you have the pin header fitted?

That chip looks used but it may still be ok ( see the solder at the black arrows)

Add a wire link to join the 2 arrows 

51e-FNE4-1.jpg

Then you will need to ground the D0 point on the motherboard by adding a wire link (Black line) a per the pic below 

I highly recommend you use the alternative point on the bottom of the board 

D0-points.png

Once that's done then refit the motherboard to the shell and plug the mod-chip on the board 

You don't need the DVD or HDD connected at this point.

Power on the Xbox and hopefully you will get a image on the TV.

Let me know what happens.

Cheers

SS Dave

That's my solder job, all pads were clean when I received the chip.

I have the pin header and the bridge is on the other side of the board.  I have the wire ran to the bottom of the board as well.

I needed this hooked to the mainboard for it to boot to the dashboard.  Without the chip it does the 3 boot frag.

From here I'm not sure what to do without a working disc drive to try and update the modchip.

I take it at this point the board's tsop is a goner without a full reflash/replace, which is out of my abilities and equipment.

Edited by my2k2zx2

I would say the onboard bios chip is toast..

With the chip fitted you can make a new HDD using a PC that will boot so you don't need a DVD drive or with the mod chip working you can fit a PC DVD drive to load the OGXbox 2021 v1.5.4 install disk to either use that disk to reflash the mod chip and setup a new HDD.  You might be lucky and beable to reflash the mod chip as a lot of the new aladdin chips have a fake EEProm (49lf020) and can't be flash in the Xbox

But you have nothing to lose by trying to reflash it plus you only need to reflash the bios if you are fitting a 120gb or bigger

Cheers

SS Dave

2 hours ago, my2k2zx2 said:

With the chip any dvd drive will work?  I might have to go thrifting again for an ide drive if that would work.

In a hard modded ( chipped or re-flashed bios) any PC DVD drive ( I have even tested a Sata DVD drive with a Sata2Ide adaptor) will read a copied disk like the OGXbox installer or Hexen but it can not read an original game disk.

Cheers

SS Dave

21 hours ago, my2k2zx2 said:

Is there anywhere to get a new tsop?  I'd try swapping it out and see if that does anything.  I'm guessing that with a modchip the system wont care if on board tsop is missing?

No as the eeprom ( TSOP = Thin Small Outline Package) that was used for the bios chip is no longer available.

The only option is a mod chip or salvage a bios chip from a dead board but as the donor board is dead it may have the same issue.

Cheers

SS Dave