OGXbox.com

Vga Composite for Hd

vekter303

Hi guys,

Looking for some feedback here.

I have seen a VGA cable that is detected as component by the Xbox. Seller states its similar to the Frosty VGA cable.

I have UnleashX on an Aladdin XT2 with Xromwell running on a v1.2 Conexant Xbox. My TV handles YPRPB component signal through its VGA input.

Anyone got experience here, Ive seen old posts about certain BIOS for VGA but cannot really follow whats being said due to my inexperience. Do you guys reckon the cable will work with my configuration?

Heres the cable...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Original-Xbox-VGA-Cable/143347461008?_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20160908105057%26meid%3D4e45587c267d4ab7a06d54be3c0b2a20%26pid%3D100675%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D15%26sd%3D143330087113%26itm%3D143347461008%26pmt%3D1%26noa%3D1%26pg%3D2380057&_trksid=p2380057.c100675.m4236&_trkparms=pageci%3A1dd926d6-f65e-11e9-b466-74dbd180baa1|parentrq%3Afdd9c30a16d0a4b7fd020259fff76961|iid%3A1

11 minutes ago, neighbor said:

seller answers everything you asked here.
shortly: it won't work.

I dont understand, what would be missing for it to work?

In my messages with the seller he suggested that it should be okay, but was clear to make no promises.

What do you mean specifically?

Cheers...

Check the kernel version shown in UnleashX's System Info Page - Press the Y button to see it.  If running UnleashX, it should appear.  Press the B or Back button to go back to the main menu.

What kernel version is displayed?

The BIOS running is not XRomwell - it does not support running standard Xbox applications (XBEs). It was for booting Linux and/or reflashing a new BIOS to the modchip.  It is an MS code-free BIOS distributed with modchips for legal reasons.  There are many different variations of the Cromwell / Linux BIOS.

In UnleashX:

System: Settings: System:

That takes me to a Systems Settings screen. Nothing changes if I press Y at that point...

I can then see a Dash Version?

0.37.1218A Build 543

Not sure if this is the kernal version you mention...

I know almost nothing of BIOS and their operation, so thats some new information there about what XRomwell is. Cheers!

I should say too, theres a dude Ive been messaging who will fit an OG Xbox connecter on a 360 component cable and a 15 Pin VGA at the other end, with RCA analogue phono leads too. This is looking like a neat solution for the Xbox detecting the cable for HD options and the TV displaying them. The TV processes the component/YPrPb signal through its VGA socket...so that should sort it :)

I did read some ware be careful using VGA as if you flash a VGA bios you have to use a VGA cable to see what your doing to Flash a normal BIOS back in the Xbox

The Xbox also looks at the AV port for links in the plug to determine what to output Composite, component,VGA.

SS Dave

Those who can hard-mod, Those who can’t soft-mod.

• Like 1

Haha, that would be a facepalm moment there...

For the cable the guy seems sound with electronics and AV.

Heres my reasearch if its any use to anyone. Not my stuff, but gathered up.

First picture is the Xbox AV connector

Second is the YPrPb wiring points for a 15 Pin VGA

This with a 360 component cable and HD should be good to go!

Of course this depends how the TV processes the HD signal, checking the TV manual should cover it...my 40" Panasonic from 2015 is okay :)

Screenshot_20191025-231320_Firefox.jpg

Screenshot_20191025-232055_eBay.jpg

12 hours ago, vekter303 said:

In UnleashX:

System: Settings: System:

That takes me to a Systems Settings screen. Nothing changes if I press Y at that point...

I can then see a Dash Version?

0.37.1218A Build 543

Not sure if this is the kernal version you mention...

I know almost nothing of BIOS and their operation, so thats some new information there about what XRomwell is. Cheers!

I should say too, theres a dude Ive been messaging who will fit an OG Xbox connecter on a 360 component cable and a 15 Pin VGA at the other end, with RCA analogue phono leads too. This is looking like a neat solution for the Xbox detecting the cable for HD options and the TV displaying them. The TV processes the component/YPrPb signal through its VGA socket...so that should sort it :)

Maybe that old version of UnleashX, 0.37.1218A Build 543, has no easily accessible System Info page.

From any menu listing on 0.39.0222A Build 572 or 0.39.0528A Build 584, pressing the Y button shows the following page:

spacer.png

There's a lot more information than seen on the first page  (although the kernel version is displayed on it) by using the D-pad or Left joystick to scroll through the listing.

P.S. I'll download the old version and give it a try to see where the Kernel (BIOS) version can be found.

In UnleashX 0.37.1218A Build 543, pressing Y from the main menu displays the System Info page for me.

It is also accessible by going into the menu System -> Settings then use the D-pad or left joystick to highlight System then press A followed by scrolling down to Xbox Info and press A to show the Xbox Info (System Info) page.  

The Kernel Version line shows a value in the format 1.0.NNNN.LL.  NNNN = BIOS/Kernel version and LL = 1, 6 or 67.  6 and 67 are the LBA48 configuration of modified BIOSes that stored the LBA48 configuration as part of the Kernel version value, not all BIOS's do though displaying only a 1.  Stock Microsoft BIOSes display a 1 as well.

I'd like to remind about the posibility of loading a bios without flashing it to the system, done this to load a VGA bios and use a VGA cable. IMO it's not worth it, as the maximum resolution I was able to see was 480p, maybe done something wrong, but that's my result. Google: Phoenix Bios loader

• Like 1

Thanks guys for your input.

Interesting options and information for BIOS and that may be most helpful down the road if I mod the v.1.6 or consider RAM upgrade in v1.2.

@KaosEngineer you were right about accessing System Info. I had tried 'Y' from System then Settings, not from the main menu. I appreciate you going to the trouble of downloading that to check it out. The BIOS Kernal is: 1.0.5838.1 so its the unmodified version.

For now in trying to get HD it looks like I have a nice solution with component cable and YPbPr through 15 Pin VGA socket. So the BIOS will nor relate to my HD options.

@SS Dave @neighbor Its my bad for initially confusing a connector (VGA or 15 Pin) with signal and wiring (YPbPr and component to VGA) based on something that was available on Ebay, and not separating the those things.

Cheers! Good guys on here with loads of help...

:)

EvolutionX's M8 and M8+ BIOSes are some of those special case modified BIOS'es that don't follow the other BIOS dev team convention of adding .06  (.6 displayed for the kernel version's last digit in UnleashX) or .67 to show the LBA48 configuration (.06 - partition 6 only - F drive or .67 - partition 6 and 7 - F and G drives). :(  The Kernel version shown in UnleashX will be 1.0.5838.1.

They also kept the BIOS version the same as the stock MS BIOS it was based upon - 1.00.5838.01 (UnleashX leaves off any leading 0 in the value it prints for the Kernel Version).  Making one ask, "How the H*LL do I know if it's the stock BIOS or modified BIOS?"

You'd need to obtain the MD5 hash value for the booting BIOS. Check is against the known original 5838 BIOS's value. If different, it's Evox (as well Evox M8 has the purple shield in the upper left-hand corner of the screen - unless it has been disabled in EVTool and reflashed the updated M8(+) BIOS to the modchip.

Run Xbox BIOS Checker v5.0 to see if it can identify the BIOS version or Evoxdash which will change the Current= line in the file named evox.ini which is the booting BIOS's MD5 hash value. 

You have to compare the MD5 hash to a list of know BIOS versions to hopefully find a match.

Xbox BIOS Checker v5.0's bios id list is incomplete and does not identify all BIOSes. :(

Even then, if the BIOS has been modified using EVTool for custom animation or big X logo colors, custom replacement dashboard paths, or other flags edited the unmodified distribution's MD5 hash will not match that of the running/booting kernel/BIOS.